Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17

    White Mesa Conditions

    I was just out at Foothills doing a little recon for a possible ride out there, knee deep snow. Iíd imagine Placitas is the same. Has anyone attempted or been out to White Mesa since the storm this week? Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    In the same area looking for some decent riding. This weather fín sucks!! I think I am going to head to abq on Monday morning and see what happens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17
    Yeah, the weather is definitely bring a fun sponge. I talked to a couple that tried to ride foothills. They quit on the intilial climb out of the parking lot, didnít make it to the rock gardens, snow is knee deep or better. Lots of hikers. We are expecting more snow Mon/Tues.

    I live above the petroglyphs on the West Mesa, everything is burned off over here I was hoping White Mesa was in the same boat so I can get a ride in. I talked to high desert cycle for some intel. They said it would probably be muddy as hell out there..

  4. #4
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottomed Out View Post
    Yeah, the weather is definitely bring a fun sponge. I talked to a couple that tried to ride foothills. They quit on the intilial climb out of the parking lot, didnít make it to the rock gardens, snow is knee deep or better. Lots of hikers. We are expecting more snow Mon/Tues.

    I live above the petroglyphs on the West Mesa, everything is burned off over here I was hoping White Mesa was in the same boat so I can get a ride in. I talked to high desert cycle for some intel. They said it would probably be muddy as hell out there..
    As of yesterday WM was covered in snow!
    Knee high snow drifts in some sections right off the parking lot!
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    As of yesterday WM was covered in snow!
    Knee high snow drifts in some sections right off the parking lot!
    RCC
    That sucks! Thanks from the info.

  6. #6
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottomed Out View Post
    That sucks! Thanks from the info.
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    I did the same thing. Drove out to WM (after getting a steal on some women's boots at the REI garage sale) and didn't even get 20' before I hit the first drift. Being familiar with the terrain out there I didn't feel like getting off my bike every 50', so packed it in. I sorta knew there were going to be deep drifts based on what I was seeing on the drive out there, but I made the drive anyway hoping it would warm up a bit in Placitas, which is where I figured I'd end up anyway. It was 9* in the WM p-lot...

    Anyway, I noticed the area out towards Placitas looked much more rideable on my way out, so that's where I went next. Conditions were favorable at around 11am. I road Fenceline, A connector trail (forget the name) up to the top of Bobsled, Bobsled down (coulda used a sled, btw haha!) FS road up to Tightrope, High Voltage, Wilderness Poach up to the saddle, then I took a bunch of trails that I didn't pay attention to names on the way down. But, basically, I at least put some tracks on just about every trail out there. The conditions aren't the best in places, but it's a good thing because there is enough snow to keep a decent base without turning to muck. That said, some spots that had burned off were starting to get pretty sloppy at around 2pm, so if you go, obviously the earlier the better if you can stand the cold.

    Ride On, fellas!

    PS: I might be up for riding Monday early if you want a guide, RideMN.

    Edit: Also might want to check out Mariposa. There is a fatbike community there, and I bet those guys/gals are trying to keep the down-low on their trails so we don't go and crowd them out. I hear there has been quite a bit of rogue expansion out there, and I'd also bet that those trails are in pretty good shape based on their proximity to Rio Rancho, which is all but burned off. Those trails aren't the funnest under normal circumstances, unless you have a FB, but probably decent with a layer of snow and nice given the sandy conditions.

    https://www.trailforks.com/region/ma...-trails-23183/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by bandradad View Post
    I did the same thing. Drove out to WM (after getting a steal on some women's boots at the REI garage sale) and didn't even get 20' before I hit the first drift. Being familiar with the terrain out there I didn't feel like getting off my bike every 50', so packed it in. I sorta knew there were going to be deep drifts based on what I was seeing on the drive out there, but I made the drive anyway hoping it would warm up a bit in Placitas, which is where I figured I'd end up anyway. It was 9* in the WM p-lot...

    Anyway, I noticed the area out towards Placitas looked much more rideable on my way out, so that's where I went next. Conditions were favorable at around 11am. I road Fenceline, A connector trail (forget the name) up to the top of Bobsled, Bobsled down (coulda used a sled, btw haha!) FS road up to Tightrope, High Voltage, Wilderness Poach up to the saddle, then I took a bunch of trails that I didn't pay attention to names on the way down. But, basically, I at least put some tracks on just about every trail out there. The conditions aren't the best in places, but it's a good thing because there is enough snow to keep a decent base without turning to muck. That said, some spots that had burned off were starting to get pretty sloppy at around 2pm, so if you go, obviously the earlier the better if you can stand the cold.

    Ride On, fellas!

    PS: I might be up for riding Monday early if you want a guide, RideMN.

    Edit: Also might want to check out Mariposa. There is a fatbike community there, and I bet those guys/gals are trying to keep the down-low on their trails so we don't go and crowd them out. I hear there has been quite a bit of rogue expansion out there, and I'd also bet that those trails are in pretty good shape based on their proximity to Rio Rancho, which is all but burned off. Those trails aren't the funnest under normal circumstances, unless you have a FB, but probably decent with a layer of snow and nice given the sandy conditions.

    https://www.trailforks.com/region/ma...-trails-23183/
    Thanks for the info! Placitas is really where I wanted to go. I figured it would be the same as foothills. I drove to foothills because itís closer to get an idea of how things looked.

    Iíve been out to Mariposa once. They are building houses out there so I think some of the trails are gone. I could be wrong? I was following trail forks on my phone. It might be worth another visit. Thanks again!

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Yeah, I rode FooHills after the first storm on Thursday, just as the second one rolled in. It was ok, but the snow was already very deep; oddly enough I was able to ride most of it because of the x-mas hikers...talk about "single track"..lol.

    Another guy from Las Cruces was heading up on his "skinny bike." I do wonder how far he got. One, it was hard enough on my 2.6's, AND that storm was steady moving in his direction.

    Placitas is in WAY better shape.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by bandradad View Post
    I did the same thing. Drove out to WM (after getting a steal on some women's boots at the REI garage sale) and didn't even get 20' before I hit the first drift. Being familiar with the terrain out there I didn't feel like getting off my bike every 50', so packed it in. I sorta knew there were going to be deep drifts based on what I was seeing on the drive out there, but I made the drive anyway hoping it would warm up a bit in Placitas, which is where I figured I'd end up anyway. It was 9* in the WM p-lot...

    Anyway, I noticed the area out towards Placitas looked much more rideable on my way out, so that's where I went next. Conditions were favorable at around 11am. I road Fenceline, A connector trail (forget the name) up to the top of Bobsled, Bobsled down (coulda used a sled, btw haha!) FS road up to Tightrope, High Voltage, Wilderness Poach up to the saddle, then I took a bunch of trails that I didn't pay attention to names on the way down. But, basically, I at least put some tracks on just about every trail out there. The conditions aren't the best in places, but it's a good thing because there is enough snow to keep a decent base without turning to muck. That said, some spots that had burned off were starting to get pretty sloppy at around 2pm, so if you go, obviously the earlier the better if you can stand the cold.

    Ride On, fellas!

    PS: I might be up for riding Monday early if you want a guide, RideMN.

    Edit: Also might want to check out Mariposa. There is a fatbike community there, and I bet those guys/gals are trying to keep the down-low on their trails so we don't go and crowd them out. I hear there has been quite a bit of rogue expansion out there, and I'd also bet that those trails are in pretty good shape based on their proximity to Rio Rancho, which is all but burned off. Those trails aren't the funnest under normal circumstances, unless you have a FB, but probably decent with a layer of snow and nice given the sandy conditions.

    https://www.trailforks.com/region/ma...-trails-23183/
    Thanks!! Appreciate the offer. I plan to head out early Monday to go somewhere so might take you up on it!! I do not have my fat bike here so how would I fair on 2.3ís?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Actually, I'm going to head out to Mariposa now if anyone wants to join. Say around 11:30?

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Thanks!! Appreciate the offer. I plan to head out early Monday to go somewhere so might take you up on it!! I do not have my fat bike here so how would I fair on 2.3ís?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same as you would in MM, bro.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by bandradad View Post
    Same as you would in MM, bro.
    Yeah I get that ha. Just mean in terms if itís snow covered or if it melted!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ABQ Clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    268
    I rode the Petroglyphs, West Mesa, and volcanoes yesterday early afternoon. It was cold, but most of the snow is gone, and in places that still have snow it's only about an inch deep. Bear in mind that if it's windy you will want to be bundled up tight. I wore 4 layers up top, 2 pairs of gloves, neoprene pants, shoe booties, and a neck gator. That was about perfect.

    Get it while you can, before they shut it all down out here.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    I rode the Petroglyphs, West Mesa, and volcanoes yesterday early afternoon. It was cold, but most of the snow is gone, and in places that still have snow it's only about an inch deep. Bear in mind that if it's windy you will want to be bundled up tight. I wore 4 layers up top, 2 pairs of gloves, neoprene pants, shoe booties, and a neck gator. That was about perfect.

    Get it while you can, before they shut it all down out here.
    Dangit! I think that would have been a little better than riding Mariposa without a Fatty. As it were, there are some pretty cool sections out there though. Just not enough to enjoy without balloon wheels.

    I'm still hoping we can save some of that stuff, Patrick. Shoot me an email with the latest update, por favor?

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Yeah I get that ha. Just mean in terms if itís snow covered or if it melted!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it's melted it will be muddy and it will suck no matter what. If it's snow packed then I assume you are used to riding 2.3 tires in those conditions. You will get a good idea fairly early on, man.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by bandradad View Post
    If it's melted it will be muddy and it will suck no matter what. If it's snow packed then I assume you are used to riding 2.3 tires in those conditions. You will get a good idea fairly early on, man.
    Got it! Thanks. Yeah Iíll be good with hard pack or frozen ground!! Going to hit it early morning.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Got it! Thanks. Yeah Iíll be good with hard pack or frozen ground!! Going to hit it early morning.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool, I wasn't sure if you were asking about Placitas or Mariposa. I'd probably recommend against riding Mariposa on 2.3 tires, but fine for Placitas if it's snow and ice. It's a great idea to hit it as early as possible. If you can nail down a time, I plan on riding there again tomorrow in the morning as well.

    I was not impressed with Mariposa other than having some unique sections of trail/trail features, but it's not the kind of riding most would be familiar with.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    Nice! Yeah we plan to be at Placitas around 9:00 or so. Maybe weíll run into each other!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Brian / Bandradad for showing us around some of the Placitas trails!! We really appreciated it man and will look you up again if we get out there in some warm weather! Next time we owe you lunch!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Thanks Brian / Bandradad for showing us around some of the Placitas trails!! We really appreciated it man and will look you up again if we get out there in some warm weather! Next time we owe you lunch!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride On! I enjoyed the company as well. Not too many folks willing to brave the elements like you two cats. And, extra points for driving all that way. At least some people have their priorities straight. Most would have sucked it up and went skiing.

    Post up that sweet pic in the tail pix thread if you get a chance.

    Catch ya'll next time.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    490
    Anyone know if White mesa still a mess?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17
    I havenít been out to White Mesa to look, Iím tempted to go see. I was out at foothills this morning and ran into someone who just finished riding, said it was pretty nasty. Placitas ďmightĒ be be open this weekend. They have a FB group asking folks to stay out due to muddy conditions (wrecks the trails). Not a whole much more.

    I might take a drive out to White Mesa tomorrow. If I do, Iíll report back here. Iím getting pretty stir crazy..lol.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ABQ Clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    268
    Trails on the West Mesa and around the volcanoes are clear, for what it's worth. :-)
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Red Mesa was a mess this last weekend, so that should be a fairly good indication on WM conditions, and this next round of rain/snow should lock everything out again for a few more days.

    I'd join you for a West Mesa romp, Pat, but I just had knee surgery. Gonna be a pretty rough week for me! Sure wish there was more stoke on this site to keep my mind preoccupied with ride pics, videos and such.\

    PS: I attempted a night ride at Elena last night, and while the shallow spots were somewhat manageable partially frozen, the drifts are back to back in a lot places and they are DEEP.
    Last edited by bandradad; 01-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17
    I took a ride out to White Mesa, I wouldnít attempt the road (clay) unless you have 4 wheel drive. I made it through in 4-Hi but didnít go all the way out. I figured if the road was like this, the trails had to be similar. There was still quite a bit of snow on the hills out there. With it raining now, prolly a lot worse.
    White Mesa Conditions-65b4039e-58c3-4f16-ba67-4174d1096b44.jpg

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottomed Out View Post
    I took a ride out to White Mesa, I wouldnít attempt the road (clay) unless you have 4 wheel drive. I made it through in 4-Hi but didnít go all the way out. I figured if the road was like this, the trails had to be similar. There was still quite a bit of snow on the hills out there. With it raining now, prolly a lot worse.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65B4039E-58C3-4F16-BA67-4174D1096B44.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	1232936
    Thanks for checking it out

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    17
    Sure, no sweat! I kinda wanted to know also. Placitas should good tomorrow their FB group / guys that maintain the trails said it was ok on the lower end. High Voltage, tight rope and upper part of Bobsled might be snotty.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Thinking of heading down to hit this area this coming Saturday. Weather expected in the afternoon, but is it reasonable to expect to get some good riding in for a couple of hours before lunch? How long does the typical loop take? My son and buddies are solid riders, but I'm slow. Should I plan for a couple of hours? Three? Any tips on the area would be great!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7
    White mesa loop isn't too hard, I would say 2 hours max. I was out there and at the Red Mesa area (San Ysidro) last Sunday and it was in good shape.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by kruggirello View Post
    White mesa loop isn't too hard, I would say 2 hours max. I was out there and at the Red Mesa area (San Ysidro) last Sunday and it was in good shape.
    Excellent! Thank you for the info!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Follow up - Which direction is the preferred loop, clockwise? Counter?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    490
    Clockwise

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Clockwise
    Thank you!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    502
    Only problem is you pretty much park at the top, so save some energy/time for the climb back to the car. The only two times I've done two laps, it got dark on me both times.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Only problem is you pretty much park at the top, so save some energy/time for the climb back to the car. The only two times I've done two laps, it got dark on me both times.
    Good to know! We were only planning on one loop. Up here in Los Alamos, we're not gonna see dirt til April! The snow pack is gonna hang on for dear life.....so I just wanted to ride a little before the next storm.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Rode a loop today. Not familiar with the area, nor the do's and don'ts. I would say that going back to the parking lot via "Central Spine," the uphill way, is a don't. We thought it would be the "exciting way" back to the truck. Didn't realize it's pretty much a one way trail, and even in the right direction, it's for experts.

    Other than that, loved it!

  38. #38
    Stucco Bucket
    Reputation: the_owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,908
    Guess you were pushing and helping each other drag bikes.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Guess you were pushing and helping each other drag bikes.
    That would be an affirmative! My son and I did quite a bit of bike pushing/dragging and handing off. We also had to do a lot of scraping of mud off of the tires, or they wouldn't even roll with the mud packing up, etc. Oddly enough, the trail was mostly dry, just a few muddy sections. It was enough though....

    It was our first time there. We'll know better the next time! Overall, I liked it a lot....will probably go back before our local trails melt.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    581
    Just for the record: currently the trails are 95% clear with patches of mud and the only real crappy spot being the section of doubletrack climb after the Springs heading towards the moonscape--that's all peanut butter and requires some hike-a-bike.

    Good stuff. Let's see what these next storms bring.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    Rode a loop today. Not familiar with the area, nor the do's and don'ts. I would say that going back to the parking lot via "Central Spine," the uphill way, is a don't. We thought it would be the "exciting way" back to the truck. Didn't realize it's pretty much a one way trail, and even in the right direction, it's for experts.

    Other than that, loved it!
    Yup. I made a similar mistake the first time I rode there, too. Ended up doing some sketchy scrambling up a near-vertical dirt slope for quite a ways when the trail I was on petered out. Prolly killed a few billion probiotic bugs. I didn't know any better, and the signage implied that the trail went back to the parking lot. Amazing how easy it is to get lost out there.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Yup. I made a similar mistake the first time I rode there, too. Ended up doing some sketchy scrambling up a near-vertical dirt slope for quite a ways when the trail I was on petered out. Prolly killed a few billion probiotic bugs. I didn't know any better, and the signage implied that the trail went back to the parking lot. Amazing how easy it is to get lost out there.
    I feel the same way. Trail forks definitely called it out as a black, whereas the sign at the beginning of the trailhead made it seem like the normal route back was more difficult. Then again, I just glanced at the sign, thinking Trail Forks would be my friend.

    Basically, we scanned the normal route and thought "this other way looks like it could be more fun, a nice decent back to the truck." What's even worse, when we got to the base of the big sketchy climb/bike push, there was a well defined trail going around the ridge. We figured it was an alternative route.....until it petered out in the canyon with no way out of the canyon. Lesson learned....

Similar Threads

  1. [VIDEO] Riding At White Mesa ( or is it White Ridge? )
    By jasonbikes in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2018, 09:29 AM
  2. White Mesa conditions?
    By giantbikeboy in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM
  3. White Mesa conditions
    By muzikym in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 09:19 AM
  4. White Mesa conditions
    By giantbikeboy in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
  5. NFH White Mesa conditions
    By mlx john in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 71

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.