When is Raven's Ridge typically GTG- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

When is Raven's Ridge typically GTG

I usually ride Aspen vista to Raven's Ridge in the fall when the leaves change. I have some friends coming in from out of town in the beginning of May and wanted to take them on this ride however, I don't know when it typically is GTG. With the snow this year being horrible, I expect it to be sooner than in past years, however I still have no gauge as to when that might be.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Usually, we can get a ride in June or early July. Really it's only a couple of the north facing rock sections that hold snow and ice. Guessing this year we are on pace for a May opening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Santa Fe National Forest is currently now under Stage 1 restrictions (no open campfires except in specific designated places--fire pits in approved campgrounds; no outdoor smoking; no fireworks). I am certain we will have stage 2 restrictions any day now (all stage 1 plus; no outdoor fires of any kind in any place; smoking in any place; firearms). Stage 3 is highly likely very soon if we don't get some significant precipitation soon. Stage 3 is when parts of the forest is closed and stage 4 is when all of the forest is closed.

We are entering a sever drought. While there is good evidence that the eastern Pacific basin water temps are increasing (classic El Nino pattern), it is slow at this point. There some good indicators that we might develop a light to moderate El Nino over the next few months and into this coming winter. But for now, we need that persistent high pressure ridge off of the California coast to dissipate. It is blocking us from getting more systems through the state.

Long story made short. The Santa Fe National Forest might be under Stage 3 restrictions by the beginning of May, which will of course include the areas east of Santa Fe to the ski basin. That would mean no Raven's Ridge anytime during that phase of restrictions.

In the meantime, pray for rain!!!