What if the STC passed....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

What if the STC passed....

OK...the STC bill has passed and now FS land managers can now allow biking in the wilderness. What closed trail would you want to be able to ride now that the bill has passed. Where would you (and I mean you reading this and not some other person) go out and help build a new trail. This is for the Abq area only... not anywhere else.

Please try to color in the lines. I know for some of you...ahem...that is difficult.

Also, if you happen to be a land manager please feel free to let us know what obstacles have to be overcome to actually open these proposed areas.

Personally, I'd like to ride the pino trail down. I think a reasonable solution may be to allow bikes on the trail after some random time when uphill traffic is low....say 4pm.

I'd also like to see some of the north foothills trails expanded East into wilderness in Pino canyon area. This would take some of the traffic off the trails in the open space.

mtbr member
    If bikes were allowed in wilderness areas regardless of reason I'd hit up the Wheeler Peak Summit Trail from the Williams Lake trail, after riding the Bull of the Woods to Goose Lake/Gold Hill to Long Canyon route.

About the STC proposal specifically; what you mention about allowing bikes (or any other users) on a trail at a specific time is one of many reasons why I don't like the STC's draft ~ we don't need more regulations on our public lands, and their proposal would grant land managers more rights to dictate who can use what trails when, and omit other users, place limits on how many people can use a trail, etc ... How about permits? Yep it would grant land managers the abilitiy to require permits to use our public lands! It would also allow them to choose to not allow bikes on trails which are currently open unless a special closure order is issued, this is a huge flaw that most mountain bikers are either overlooking or don't understand.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa View Post
    Where would you (and I mean you reading this and not some other person) go out and help build a new trail.
    I'm not aware of any discussion about bikes in Wilderness that involves BUILDING new trails. That has nothing to do with HR1349, which is 100% focused on removing the blanket ban on bikes in Wilderness in favor of local decision making about where/when bikes could/can travel through Wilderness on existing trails, if at all.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    About the STC proposal specifically; what you mention about allowing bikes (or any other users) on a trail at a specific time is one of many reasons why I don't like the STC's draft ~ we don't need more regulations on our public lands, and their proposal would grant land managers more rights to dictate who can use what trails when, and omit other users, place limits on how many people can use a trail, etc ... How about permits? Yep it would grant land managers the abilitiy to require permits to use our public lands! It would also allow them to choose to not allow bikes on trails which are currently open unless a special closure order is issued, this is a huge flaw that most mountain bikers are either overlooking or don't understand.
    There are zero trails in Wilderness that allow bikes. I think you are not understanding the Wilderness Act, especially since the ability to allow bikes on certain trails does not mean other trail users will not be allowed. Furthermore, where Wilderness and non-Wilderness areas get really busy, the USFS/BLM already can require permits (currently for hikers and horsemen). I'm not sure what your concern is but it sounds like you prefer no rules or regulations, except the blanket ban on bikes in Wilderness areas. If I can help explain HR1349 better for you, please let me know.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I'm not aware of any discussion about bikes in Wilderness that involves BUILDING new trails. That has nothing to do with HR1349, which is 100% focused on removing the blanket ban on bikes in Wilderness in favor of local decision making about where/when bikes could/can travel through Wilderness on existing trails, if at all.
    Exactly! There is much disinformation and cognitive dissonance around this issue, which, as you say, is pretty focused on removing the blanket ban, and avoiding other controversy.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    OK fair enough...and lets expand the question to the state of NM. what trails in the state would you want to open to biking?

saddlemeat
    ^How about the trails the commercial wilderness horsepackers use?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^How about the trails the commercial wilderness horsepackers use?
    That sounds crappy...horse crappy.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    That sounds crappy...horse crappy.
    Good point, mtbs don't leave piles of sh*t on the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat U. Lance View Post
    Let's say the Pino Trail was opened up. Would you climb it, or ride over from the Crest Trail? If you rode over from the Crest, how then would you get back up to fetch a vehicle?

Personally, there are a lot of options for rides now in other places. I do ride the Wilders on occasion, but mostly in the backcountry where no one can bother me. Although we actually did do a pretty good loop this year on the crest tr, though. But it still required a shuttle. Interestingly enough, we weren't the only ones either.
    It would be effing sweet to ride from the crest down to my house!

That being said, I don't ride the wilderness areas, and I certainly don't talk about riding them in a public forum. No good can come of that, and the trails in the wilderness suck anyway.