We need a new trail!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

We need a new trail!

If there is a new trail to-be-built in Santa Fe, surely it should be this one! From the top of Black Canyon across the ridge lines to Apache Creek. From my house (downtown SF) it is a 17.8 miles with 3010 vertical feet. At this point, this qualifies as an adventure ride. This is the ridge to the south of the Ski Basin Road; it is opposite of Saddleback. With a little bit of work it could be a world-class bit of single track!

We need a new trail!-lost-loops.jpg

mtbr member
    Do you have a GPS or Google Earth route? That sounds pretty awesome!

I ride with tools
    Isn't that in the restricted watershed area?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Isn't that in the restricted watershed area?
    If I'm envisioning the trail correctly I think it would cross the watershed area.

I've done a tiny bit of exploring near Apache creek in the National Forest area and there's potential there for cool flowy stuff I think - reminded me of riding I've done in Bend.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Adventure Ride

Black Canyon to Apache Creek would be an adventure ride for sure.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Blac...ache+Creek,+NM

Mars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    If there is a new trail to-be-built in Santa Fe, surely it should be this one! From the top of Black Canyon across the ridge lines to Apache Creek. From my house (downtown SF) it is a 17.8 miles with 3010 vertical feet. At this point, this qualifies as an adventure ride. This is the ridge to the south of the Ski Basin Road; it is opposite of Saddleback. With a little bit of work it could be a world-class bit of single track!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost-Loops.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	1151921
    Hasn't there been talk from the Flat Tire Society about a trail from the towers going all the way to Dale Ball Central? Seems impossible though with private land and watershed property.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The south side of the ridge line is in the SF Watershed. The ridge line and to the north slope itself is not part of the restricted area. 10 years ago or so (after the devastating fires in Los Alamos) a fire break was bulldozed across the ridge line. I think there was concern a fire could start along HWY 475 (Ski Basin RD) and quickly go up that hill, cresting it and making it possible to go into the watershed itself. It is a pretty ugly fire break. I do think the SF Fat Tire Society has considered a trail along the ridge but it is not a super high priority at this point. There has also been a discussion of building a trail from Aspen Vista Road down to Black Canyon. It would require riding Aspen Vista. That is fine. But the trail would be long and difficult to develop as there is no existing anything up there to build upon. Whereas a new trail from Black Canyon Campground up this ridge line (non-Wilderness National Forest Land) and down to either Apache Creek (which might be in restricted land) or just out to the bottom of Nun's Corner (which is not in restricted land) would be significantly easier to develop because of the existing clearings and by making bench-cut trails on the north side of the ridge.