Visiting- Mtbr.com

Thread: Visiting

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Visiting

Hey guys,
    I will be in Corrales for the next 4 days and I was looking for recommendations. Specifically, should i look towards Santa Fe or Albuquerque? Unfortunately Angle Fire/Taos is just too far out of the way.
    Also, I see rain is in the forecast and I was wondering how that works in this neck of the woods.
    I am coming from WNC and am not afraid to earn my turns.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    What are you looking for, and are you bringing a bike?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm renting a bike on Saturday
    Looking for a 20 mile or so ride. Good views

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The dale ball trails in Santa fe looked pretty amazing. I didn't get to ride them, but I hiked them and there is definitely some killer riding in there

but i want to ride now
    Given all the rain we have had the last couple days I would recommend riding the Foothills or Placitas Trail systems (see Trailforks) if you want to stay close to ABQ. If you head to Santa Fe, a lot of the trails tend to drain pretty well up there and trails like Winsor would be great if you want more of our alpine riding (and Aspens!)
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    Given all the rain we have had the last couple days I would recommend riding the Foothills or Placitas Trail systems (see Trailforks) if you want to stay close to ABQ. If you head to Santa Fe, a lot of the trails tend to drain pretty well up there and trails like Winsor would be great if you want more of our alpine riding (and Aspens!)
    Not trying to jack this thread, I saw you mentioned Windsor trail. I've read great things about it, but a lot of people seem to shuttle it to avoid climbing up. Anybody care to explain how the shuttling works for me? I've read about a few trails in NM that people shuttle, but I don't know how it works. We don't have that in Massachusetts, we don't have anywhere with consistent enough elevation change to justify it. Do you pay somebody to run you up to the ski basin, or do you just go with a friend and 2 cars and leave one at the bottom? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, like I said it's unheard of where I ride.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1106 View Post
    Not trying to jack this thread, I saw you mentioned Windsor trail. I've read great things about it, but a lot of people seem to shuttle it to avoid climbing up. Anybody care to explain how the shuttling works for me? I've read about a few trails in NM that people shuttle, but I don't know how it works. We don't have that in Massachusetts, we don't have anywhere with consistent enough elevation change to justify it. Do you pay somebody to run you up to the ski basin, or do you just go with a friend and 2 cars and leave one at the bottom? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, like I said it's unheard of where I ride.
    You dont have shuttling?
    Winsor is a classic shuttle trail, and a great climb.
    Usually you just have a shuttle bitch, chip in for gas.
    Typically Shuttle trails are DH and a group gets together, and you do six or so runs, each time one guy drives and waits at the bottom for the others. Everyone chips in for gas.
    In the case of Winsor its a PITA to shuttle. Its nice if someone offers you a ride, but its a lot easier to just climb.
    EDIT. I hear the bus now runs up there with limited bike space. I dont know if you consider that shuttling, I dont.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    You dont have shuttling?
    Winsor is a classic shuttle trail, and a great climb.
    Usually you just have a shuttle bitch, chip in for gas.
    Typically Shuttle trails are DH and a group gets together, and you do six or so runs, each time one guy drives and waits at the bottom for the others. Everyone chips in for gas.
    In the case of Winsor its a PITA to shuttle. Its nice if someone offers you a ride, but its a lot easier to just climb.
    EDIT. I hear the bus now runs up there with limited bike space. I dont know if you consider that shuttling, I dont.
    There's no real need to shuttle here, we don't have the kind of elevation you guys do. There is over 3000' of descent on Windsor, our tallest point in the whole state is 4000' above sea level. And most of the mountains here are in state parks and the trails coming down from the mountains are prohibited from biking, and a lot of them would be pretty hairy on a bike anyways, we have a lot more rock and ledge here. I could definitely see how Windsor would be a PITA to shuttle. I drove up to the ski basin when I was in NM to try to hike up to nambe lake. It's a long, curvy ride up and felt like it took forever. It was a waste too, I got denied on the climb to nambe hahaha

but i want to ride now
    Yo, the blue bus (otherwise known as the "Mountain Trail Route") is the bees knees. Get picked up in town, hand the driver 5 bucks and off you go to the top! For the purpose of shuttling Winsor and the other trails in the area, I vastly prefer it to shuttling, specifically because it eliminates an hour + of unnecessary drivng to retrieve the shuttle vehicle.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    Yo, the blue bus is the bees knees.
    So true. And if you are coming from Rio Rancho, Albuquerque, or even as far south as Belen, you can take the Rail Runner to the South Capital Train Station, then catch the mountain bus from there.

Mars

PS. The trail is Winsor Trail, not Windsor. There is no d in Winsor Trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    So true. And if you are coming from Rio Rancho, Albuquerque, or even as far south as Belen, you can take the Rail Runner to the South Capital Train Station, then catch the mountain bus from there.

Mars

PS. The trail is Winsor Trail, not Windsor. There is no d in Winsor Trail.
    Hahaha it's my damn kindle, it auto corrects everything

hop hop hop
    The Tijeras area has some awesome riding close to Albuquerque and plenty of options, you can see the thread "otero conditions" to gauge if it'll be too wet or not.
    And do not rule out White Mesa! to get 20 miles you'd have to do the loop twice (maybe once each way?) or get off the main loop and try some of the optional routes.