Valles Caldera NP - Caldera Adventure- Mtbr.com

May 2006

We the people ... Valles Caldera NP - Caldera Adventure

The Valles Caldera National Preserve is opening it's gates again this year to Mountain Bikers on two summer weekends. You can ride the Forest Roads of the Caldera on
    - June 24 or 25
    - August 12 or 13.

This year we are able to combine all of the roads previously used (except one*). This gives us 60+ miles of forest roads this year. There will be no set routes, you're free to choose your own route from the map of available forest roads. (There are two old logging roads that have more of a single track feel, the Abrigo loop and the Headquarters loop.)

For more information and a map of the open roads go to:
    http://www.calderaadventure.com

*Preserve Road VC0301, which everyone agreed is a fantastic segment, is not available. The Valles Caldera has not completed it's Archaeologic survey of this segment. New segments in the Northwestern part of the Preserve have been added.

I ride with tools
    So, since this is public land, bought and paid for by our tax dollars, riding in the Preserve will not cost anything, right?

crap magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    So, since this is public land, bought and paid for by our tax dollars, riding in the Preserve will not cost anything, right?
    Whoa! Deja Vu all over again!
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    So bikers get all of 4 opportunities, at $20 a whack, yet the same price gets horse riders 40 dates from which to choose? And 28 dates for hikers, at $10 each? Since the whole impudence of charging citizens to access unimproved public lands was addressed last summer, I'll simply point out that there appears to be a lack of balance in the focus of the VCT board.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LAVolunteer
    The Valles Caldera National Preserve is opening it's gates again this year to Mountain Bikers on two summer weekends. You can ride the Forest Roads of the Caldera on
    - June 24 or 25
    - August 12 or 13.

This year we are able to combine all of the roads previously used (except one*). This gives us 60+ miles of forest roads this year. There will be no set routes, you're free to choose your own route from the map of available forest roads. (There are two old logging roads that have more of a single track feel, the Abrigo loop and the Headquarters loop.)

For more information and a map of the open roads go to:
    http://www.calderaadventure.com

*Preserve Road VC0301, which everyone agreed is a fantastic segment, is not available. The Valles Caldera has not completed it's Archaeologic survey of this segment. New segments in the Northwestern part of the Preserve have been added.
    I would like to inform the Valles Caldera Management that MTBR will soon create a new policy. You will not be able to post here anymore, except on the following days;

- June 24 or 25
    - August 12 or 13

However, you will not be able to look at pictures, and you will be charged $20 for each day you choose to post here.

Please enjoy yourself under these conditions.

I ride with tools

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    I would like to inform the Valles Caldera Management that MTBR will soon create a new policy. You will not be able to post here anymore, except on the following days;

- June 24 or 25
    - August 12 or 13

However, you will not be able to look at pictures, and you will be charged $20 for each day you choose to post here.

Please enjoy yourself under these conditions.
    Great post, Matt! I coulodn't have said it better.

Except, I would add my true feelings toward the Trust:

Bad judgement in motion!

Pull the string...

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Since the whole impudence of charging citizens to access unimproved public lands was addressed last summer, I'll simply point out that there appears to be a lack of balance in the focus of the VCT board.
    And acting like free-loading malcontents encourages them to take a more balanced view of us how?

Sigh. So little activity on this board, only to see this tired old argument rise from the dead.

If anyone is interested in some background on this topic, including some reasons why the VC acts the way it does, I would suggest this thread and this one. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
    I'll take the Pain and Humiliation Combo, super-sized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alizhan
    And acting like free-loading malcontents encourages them to take a more balanced view of us how?

Sigh. So little activity on this board, only to see this tired old argument rise from the dead.
    Nice way to elevate yourself above others. Perhaps you address your insecurites in much the same way.

If you really want to claim the posters here are acting on ignorance, perhaps you might want to ask some questions. Heaven forbid educated people form opinions based on facts that do noit agree with YOUR views. Many believe the Trust is taking advantage of cyclists and not being fair. Tired old arguments...sheesh, couldn't that be said of the Trust as well?

So why turn it personal?.....perhaps then your thoughts on the VC were really NOT the point of your post.

Thanks for letting us know of your sainthood. Please continue to wear it on your sleeve.

mtbr member
    Well said Timo, NMJ, and JB.

Alizhan, I'm still failing to see just why we (mtb'ers) should jump up and down like terriers at these sorry little scraps the VC keeps trying to feed us.

mtbr member
    Great post, Matt! I coulodn't have said it better.

Except, I would add my true feelings toward the Trust:
    Nice my brother. I love to pay $20 dollars so I can enjoy boring trails and share my day with my beloved horse people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

make it stop!

Don't hate me because I'm Ti

Bad judgement in motion!

Overreact much?

Nice way to elevate yourself above others.
    hypothetical adj Suppositional, conjectural. (The American Heritage Dictionary)

Here, I'll fill in the blanks this time: "And [us, the mountain biking community] acting like free-loading [we want it free] malcontents [we'll snipe at every mention of the VC until we get our way] encourages them [the VC Trust] to take a more balanced view of us [mountain bikers as a viable and desirable asset to be cultivated] how?"

How does a hypothetical question "elevate me above others"?

If you really want to claim the posters here are acting on ignorance,
    I made no such claim: the links were a courtesy for people who might not be familiar with this topic. Not everything I write is directed at you.

Heaven forbid educated people form opinions based on facts that do noit agree with YOUR views.
    Strange: I remember suggesting that very thing, although I phrased it as "draw your own conclusions."

Many believe the Trust is taking advantage of cyclists and not being fair.
    And many do not. Are they not allowed their opinion?

Tired old arguments...sheesh, couldn't that be said of the Trust as well?
    I never said otherwise. You assumed that I was speaking only of the posters in this thread. I'm tired of the whole damn argument--and misunderstandings like this are one of the primary reasons.

So why turn it personal?
    I didn't. You did.

Bad judgement in motion!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Alizhan, I'm still failing to see just why we (mtb'ers) should jump up and down like terriers at these sorry little scraps the VC keeps trying to feed us.
    I never said that we should. I think bikers are getting short shrift out there, too, and the threads from last summer covered that imbalance pretty well (that's why I linked them). But I also fail to see how throwing what little they do offer back in their faces helps us, either. All that will do is convince them that bikers are more trouble than they're worth, and result in even less access.

Some people are perfectly willing to pay $20 to ride restricted land, even if it is just old dirt roads. You may think that's crazy and unfair: they don't. I happen to think that having a somewhat pear-shaped choice is still better than having no choice at all. Whatever decision one makes, at least one had the choice. Some on this board would apparently prefer that even the current meager choice be taken away, have it be all or nothing, completely free or completely unavailable, with us or against us . . . I just don't understand that attitude. Why take another person's choice away?

Thank you, btw, for actually discussing the issue with me, instead of just assuming I'm some sanctimonious troll in need of a public spanking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm tired of the whole damn argument--and misunderstandings like this are one of the primary reasons..
    Yeah you certainly put enough effort into the resposne to show how tired you are. ....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I
    instead of just assuming I'm some sanctimonious troll in need of a public spanking.
    I actually think you are MUCH more than that.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by perropirana
    Nice my brother. I love to pay $20 dollars so I can enjoy boring trails and share my day with my beloved horse people.
    I must be in the minority. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride last year. I must admit that the super-wide jeep trails were not that energizing, but the views sure were awesome. But, it all came together when I began the ascent up "The Lollipop". This turned into a neat single-trackish trail that ran along one of the peaks there. I hung on by my fingernails, but managed to climb it without having to dismount. Then the ascent down was a blast. I am excited that the VCT is extending the trails and is letting us "fend for ourselves". $20 is a bit hard to swallow when in the light of how they treat others. But I had such a great time that I even coughed up a few extra dollars for a t-shirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Look, I would just like to be able to ride out there. Period. As a resident of Taos, I'm aware of any archeological minded concerns etc, etc, etc.

After visiting the Valles Caldera HQ in Los Alamos last year I completely understand why things are setup in such an awkward way. The managers, middle managers, senior managers, vice presidents and support staff that make up the office over there need to keep things humming along at a certain rate to maintain their jobs. To us, that means zero access.

Heck, all I wanted to do was maybe just wander around for an hour or two since the Nuke Museum was closed on the day I was in Los Alamos. They said that I would be put on a waiting list for guided tours sometime next year.

I could go into alot more detail, but I share the same views with everyone else here. You know how I stand.

Note: The Valle Vidal was deeded to the government in a similar fashion and other than the thermal vents it's a similar property. It provides near 100% access year round and only a few special restrictions for fishing. If the Valles Caldera were run in a similar manner then there would not be the hate.

May 2006

Trying Desperately to Gain more access

I am one of the volunteers trying to help put these mountain biking weekends together. I'm the same as you guys. I think access is way too severely limited. I'd like to see some single track up there. I'd like to see them open it up on more then just two weekends with an area for mountain bikers just like the do for horse riders.

My motivation for doing all this work is to at least give folks a chance to get up there for the time they are giving us. I hope the Caldera management will see that we are a large group of people who want more access. We are probably the largest group to hold a single day event on the Caldera. We brought a lot of money into their coffers last year.

I might be deluded in thinking that they will accept that mountain bikers are good for the Caldera's future and that they should try to accommodate us a lot more. I'm hoping the new executive director, Jeff Cross, will have more interested in varied recreation. He has a recreation background and seems like he wants to improve the recreation program at the Caldera.

All I know is that I am working hard to get bikers on the Caldera even for only the four days we are allocated. I get a lot of pleasure out of seeing folks being able to enjoy the views and ride the forest road. I think biking the Caldera is a lot better then being carted around in a van for a tour.

Bad judgement in motion!
    Quote Originally Posted by LAVolunteer
    All I know is that I am working hard to get bikers on the Caldera even for only the four days we are allocated. I get a lot of pleasure out of seeing folks being able to enjoy the views and ride the forest road.
    I know from personal experience that volunteering can be a thankless job, especially when emotions run high (as they obviously do regarding the VC). So I would like to thank you for your hard work, and the opportunity that it provides to the biking community. Regardless of whether each of us chooses to partake of that opportunity or not, it is through efforts such as yours that we have that choice in the first place.

Helmet tipped to you, and keep up the good work.

Jun 2006
    I just wanted to post some personal experience with Valles Caldera.

I purchased lottery tickets for a day of fishing with my dad earlier this spring. We arrived early, heard a little safety lecture and then set out to fish our "beat" of the stream. Let me say that the folks at the Valles Caldera Preserve have done a wonderful job keeping the place in great shape! There was no trash, no fishing line, no screaming crowds, no people roaring around in their vehicles, suffice to say that it is the closest thing to the wilderness that we normally encounter in NM. If you question my reasoning I suggest that you go and walk along the Jemez River, or the Pecos for 15 mins and bring a trash bag, you'll need it! The last time I saw such beautiful scenery, wildlife and fishing I was in the Weminuche Wilderness in CO.

The Valles Caldera Preserve is worth EVERY penny of tax dollars and access fees they receive.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I experienced the same thing riding Molas Pass to Cascade Creek this weekend. No trash, no uncivil behavior. Actually, along the whole 20+ miles, I saw one small piece of a Powerbar wrapper that had obviously fallen out of a fellow biker's pocket. I stopped and picked it up, just as s/he would've done for me. That the Valles Caldera seems to be so unique and pristine is largely a function of the cultural and ethical environment in which it is located. A si es Nuevo Mejico.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I volunteered on the rides the last two years, and let me tell you it's a lot of work for the organizers -- all volunteers by the way, not board members or trust employees. So it's hard to hear all the people on this forum complain about it, when we worked so hard just to get bikes in there in the first place.

Instead of complaining in cyber space about this, why not go talk to the board about mountain biking? Why not discuss with the board how to get more access, how to lower the price, and what you as a mountain biker could do to encourage more biking and more public access up there.

I basically think you have a right to complain if you've been volunteering and helping out, but if you haven't put in the time and the effort to try to do something about the access there, then what have you got to complain about?

We are lucky to get in there at all, and because of the countless (thankless) hours the volunteers are putting in, the board has seen the benefit of having biking events. This can only lead to more biking there. Let's keep it positive and think ahead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    *yawn*

Bandolero

37% of statistics are made up by sock-puppets

*yawn*
    whee!
    mtbr member

-------------------
    Timo
    mtbr member

-----
    Mass has might. I second that yawn, and raise you a "zzzzzzzz"

Are we there yet?
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

the cool nerd
    *yawn*

*yawn* like the 60+ miles of sandy, dirt road in the SYDC without a view yawn? there was a little bit more trash along that stretch of road, and a few burnt out cars and a few matresses even...
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

mtbr member
    *yawn*
    Yeah, Timo, it's that condescending entitlement attitude that you display oh so very well that leads many non-cyclists to really, really loathe cyclists like us and leads many organizations to throw their hands in the air when it comes to trying to work with cyclists on access issues. Thanks for confirming every cyclist stereotype that's ever been manufactured. You're doing a heck uva job, Timmie. Makin' us all look great, really, really great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    *yawn*

mtbr member
    Interesting, one could pretty accurately mark the arrival of the summer solstice by the yearly return of VC trolls to the NM board.

Fragilie
    Interesting, one could pretty accurately mark the arrival of the summer solstice by the yearly return of VC trolls to the NM board.

Get out of my head Andy.

crap magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt
    Yeah, Timo, it's that condescending entitlement attitude that you display oh so very well that leads many non-cyclists to really, really loathe cyclists like us and leads many organizations to throw their hands in the air when it comes to trying to work with cyclists on access issues. Thanks for confirming every cyclist stereotype that's ever been manufactured. You're doing a heck uva job, Timmie. Makin' us all look great, really, really great.
    Ahhh, the internet. The "beer muscles" of the 21st century
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy

Hahaha, that's some funny s--- right there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy
    Actually I thought he was giving me a compliment. I mean it is an accomplishment to actually be the reason for a sterotype, right? Perhaps I'll make it to wikipedia.

mtbr member
    Did I miss something...let's go and ride some flat boring crap...pretty please!

Timo shame on you. I think I wanna sell my bike and do something else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Timo shame on you. I think I wanna sell my bike and do something else.
    How about hiking in the Valles Caldera! Good way to save some $$ and it's open to you more than 2 times a year.

the cool nerd
    which is a good way to make sure that it is never open to cyclists more thatn 2 times a year...

Is $20 really too much? Seems like you could've saved a lot more than that by racing the CB100 instead of the Breck 100..

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    which is a good way to make sure that it is never open to cyclists more thatn 2 times a year...

Is $20 really too much? Seems like you could've saved a lot more than that by racing the CB100 instead of the Breck 100..
    Mtn. Biker123 is away

Retrieving popcorn from the microwave...

If any of you are interested in a nite ride this evening, a few of us are meeting at Spain TH tonight around 8:15.

Cost= $0
    Experience= Priceless
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-22-2006 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    Get out of my head Andy.

Can you make Spain at 5:30 this evening?

mtbr member

Can you make Spain at 5:30 this evening?
    Did you get my e-mail A$$...

mtbr member

Yes sweetie.

banned
    Sep 2005

Yes sweetie.
    Maybe you would be better off meeting at Brokeback Trailhead instead.

JK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Maybe you would be better off meeting at Brokeback Trailhead instead.

JK

Our ride will take place under full sunlight, with no funny business, whereas you guys will be riding at night with the cover of darkness to hide your trailside affections.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Our ride will take place under full sunlight, with no funny business, whereas you guys will be riding at night with the cover of darkness to hide your trailside affections.
    Not me. Besides...Monica would kill me if I was too late getting home.

And I prefer apples to oranges everytime.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-22-2006 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member

Whooooeeee!!!!!!!!

Glad I had my Nomex suit on when I checked out THIS thread!

I'll stay out of it. I think I "got in it" last time.

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'll contact the board and see if we can get you free passes for the Valles rides, for being such cool guys who ride and write in this forum every day.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whee!
    I'll contact the board and see if we can get you free passes for the Valles rides, for being such cool guys who ride and write in this forum every day.
    WHEE...

the cool nerd
    WHEE...

calm down there 123..

you'd have to get there pretty early to catch the shuttle

banned
    Sep 2005
    calm down there 123..

you'd have to get there pretty early to catch the shuttle
    No need for a shuttle...as long as it is gravel road with a maximum slope of 1-3 degrees and I would make sure to alert Search and Rescue before I departed.

mtbr member
    Sweet...in return we'll nominate you for the worst mtbr handle of all time, a prize you surely deserve.

mtbr member
    That's not what you told be *****!

Apples are good....

mtbr member
    Can I ride my DH rig there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    so I'm guessing by everybody's criticism and yawning and personal attacks here, that you haven't contacted the board or tried to talk to them about how to get more riding up there?

everyone here seems to have strong opinions about this but I still haven't heard what you've all done to work with the valles. It would be nice to just have it open up -- poof -- to all types riding, but when does government move that fast?! it took Dale Ball about 10 years longer than he expected to get those trails in. And he didn't do it by sitting and criticizing people on mtbr forums.

so stop attacking me, I don't even work at the valles but I did work hard to get the place opened up initially so you could even go there on a bike at all. yeah, it wasn't "sweet singletrack" yada yada etc. etc.

Next time I suggest, yes, once again, that you join the volunteer group that organizes this and try to get them to build trails or open up more roads etc. Each year we get a little bit more, not much but it's something. But most of you here would rather sit here in cyber space and make personal attacks instead of actually doing the work that it takes to get what you want. I would expect a little more generosity in the mtn bike community so I'm very disappointed.

(okay, go ahead and start posting your criticisms and witty responses...

mtbr member
    so I'm guessing by everybody's criticism and yawning and personal attacks here, that you haven't contacted the board or tried to talk to them about how to get more riding up there?

everyone here seems to have strong opinions about this but I still haven't heard what you've all done to work with the valles. It would be nice to just have it open up -- poof -- to all types riding, but when does government move that fast?! it took Dale Ball about 10 years longer than he expected to get those trails in. And he didn't do it by sitting and criticizing people on mtbr forums.

so stop attacking me, I don't even work at the valles but I did work hard to get the place opened up initially so you could even go there on a bike at all. yeah, it wasn't "sweet singletrack" yada yada etc. etc.

Next time I suggest, yes, once again, that you join the volunteer group that organizes this and try to get them to build trails or open up more roads etc. Each year we get a little bit more, not much but it's something. But most of you here would rather sit here in cyber space and make personal attacks instead of actually doing the work that it takes to get what you want. I would expect a little more generosity in the mtn bike community so I'm very disappointed.

(okay, go ahead and start posting your criticisms and witty responses...
    I see your point man, but you have to understand that the majority of us do not give a crap about those trails or volunteering to improve things. You might want to try another board. If you keep posting about those trails all you are going to get is witty responses.
    Sorry.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=whee!]
    it took Dale Ball about 10 years longer than he expected to get those trails in.
    [QUOTE]

The thought of working for more than 10 years to end up with something like the "Dale Ball experience" may not help your case too much...

but it's good to see that you are volunteering your time for something you believe in, I hope in the end you attain your goals. If you end up with some nice singletrack surrounded by breathtaking views you'll have a lot more mtb'ers willing to help your cause.

Struggling for years to gain fireroad access is not my, or anyone else I know, cup of tea. So until the VC can sweeten the deal you may have to fight this battle without us.

BTW, many of us do belong to advocacy groups, and contribute to the mtb community as a whole. Don't come in here throwing stones if you don't want a few hurled back.

the cool nerd
    so general cycling advocacy isn't enough, since you don't give a crap about those trails, they're too far from your backyard to have any interest.

just divide up into the traditional groups, the xc types don't help the shuttlers, shuttlers don;t care if it isn't fast, horsie types want none of us, and hikers want the trails to themselves.

that's a great attitude

and since the dale ball access doesn't float your boat, how about one closer to home. Do you think that Timo was just able to fire off a few e-mails to gain everyone access at White Mesa? It just happened over night? From what I understand, it was an ongoing effort, as is the Valles.

let us know if and whenever you are actually going to have a witty response to anyone. I'm sure that people may tune in to read what you consider witty.

banned
    Sep 2005
    so general cycling advocacy isn't enough, since you don't give a crap about those trails, they're too far from your backyard to have any interest.

just divide up into the traditional groups, the xc types don't help the shuttlers, shuttlers don;t care if it isn't fast, horsie types want none of us, and hikers want the trails to themselves.

that's a great attitude

and since the dale ball access doesn't float your boat, how about one closer to home. Do you think that Timo was just able to fire off a few e-mails to gain everyone access at White Mesa? It just happened over night? From what I understand, it was an ongoing effort, as is the Valles.

let us know if and whenever you are actually going to have a witty response to anyone. I'm sure that people may tune in to read what you consider witty.
    Again... As I have said before, people should be able to speak freely in here. Yes, that means the freedom to support or initiate a discussion (whatever it may be) without fear that the majority will criticize or harrass you for it. It seems that whee.. was only trying to further his cause / crusade by gaining some support and providing some positive insight for this area. Here we are persecuting him for what it seems is a just fight . I am sure if he succeeds we would not hesitate to reap the benefit. If this board was around when Timo was working so hard to regain access to WM, I wonder what sort of topics would have come about. Timo you of all people should be a little more sympathetic.

Besides Pajarito lift assist is only open 4 times a year... and you don't see me throwing a temper tantrum.

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-23-2006 at 06:57 PM.

mtbr member

that's a great attitude

I’ll do my best to respond to this garbled mess since it seems that at least part of it is directed at me.

Distance from my home base does play a factor regarding my personal interest in trail access. Have you done anything to help out the mtb’ers of Austin in their ongoing access issues? Maybe it factors in with you as well.

I don’t fall into any one category of part 2 of your response.

The “Dale Ball experience” is an inside joke. If it were outside my front door it would be gold to me, but driving an hour makes it mediocre IMO. Concerning White Mesa, speak with Timo, he knows the story well.

Regarding “witty responses”, it seems that whoever you are responding to has never made a “witty response” despite them believing they had. So why do you want to be notified when they make another attempt as it surely won’t live up to your standards anyways?

the cool nerd
    Relax the hackles...

None of this was intentionally directed to you, although at the time I posted, I didn't realize that you had made the DB remarks..

As far as working with guys in Austin, no I haven't, but I wouldn't go into the Texas forum and tell them to stay off the forum because I don't care about their access issues.

just shut up and ride your bike

the cool nerd
    Besides Pajarito lift assist is only open 4 times a year... and you don't see me throwing a temper tantrum.

Don;t be such a wuss.. The Pajarito downhill course is open 7 days a week

banned
    Sep 2005
    Don;t be such a wuss.. The Pajarito downhill course is open 7 days a week
    Sure...it is. For you maybe. I require some assistance!

mtbr member
    I require some assistance!
    Like this?

It's all good...

Just tired from Scott's Flogging yesterday - when I could have used one of them there "Inclinators".
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Like this?

It's all good...

Just tired from Scott's Flogging yesterday - when I could have used one of them there "Inclinators".
    Funny...maybe if they made one with slightly faster acceleration.

fraid of heights

So..........

After all that heated debate, did anyone go up there and ride ???

And if so how was it? I ride my streetbike up there often, and have done some hiking. And even though I don't love the idea of paying for things we already pay taxes for. I would still anty up the 20 bucks this August if there were some good recomendations from those who have gone already.

Thanks...

the cool nerd

do it

If you are looking for <a href="http://www.ssportsman.com/wordpress/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=29">scenery</a> instead of adrenaline...

Hey, wait up!
    If you are looking for <a href="http://www.ssportsman.com/wordpress/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=29">scenery</a> instead of adrenaline...
    Do the ride for scenery.

Read the forum for adrenaline.

(nice pics)
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good grief! They made you guys wear blaze orange safety vests? Or are those lifejackets?

I bet the horsie people do not have to wear lifejackets. Nor do the hikers.

It seems like that photo above seems to be fairly representative of what you guys were allowed to ride. This is similar to the other couple hundred miles of doubletrack available in that neck of the woods.

I'm not poking fun at the volunteers, I praise you for your work. It's just the entire clown shoes process that is involved here. The whole place seems to be mismanaged for the use of the public.

The best sign I have ever seen out there along the fence is one that says "Public Property-No Trespassing"

the cool nerd
    the vests were for volunteers. those two 12 year old volunteers rode about 40-50 miles, each. They were more fit than many of the visitors.

Members who have read this thread: 0