Vacation times for SantaFe?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Vacation times for SantaFe?

Hey all natives. I am thinking of planning a vacation to Santa Fe in either March or June 2019. Pros/ cons of either? Thinking of biking and other things that might be going on. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by azflats View Post
    Hey all natives. I am thinking of planning a vacation to Santa Fe in either March or June 2019. Pros/ cons of either? Thinking of biking and other things that might be going on. Thanks!
    My family visits Santa Fe 1-2 times a year, generally. We've done both March and June. March is fantastic there. The one sometimes problem is that the highlands can be snowed in, so upper rides like Windsor can be hard to do, but you'll have access to plenty of lower rides (Dale Ball, Glorietta, La Tierra). You can also get wild temperature fluctuations that will have you in shorts one day and dealing with snow the next. That being said, I really like March as a time to visit. It also opens the possibility of skiing in Taos or Angelfire (or Santa Fe Mountain if there's snow).

June is also pretty nice, but you can have forest closures if it's been a dry winter. The National Forests in the area just opened up a week ago after being closed for over a month. We just got back last week from our trip, and we lucked out that there'd been enough rain to reopen all the national forests, so we were able to ride Windsor. That being said, we'd entered "monsoon" season, so we were experiencing daily rains, and the mountains were really getting smacked with rain and lightning. June also allows you to fish, if you're into that and there's not too much snowmelt.