Trail just past Nambe- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    151

    Trail just past Nambe

    I was on a road ride out to Santa Cruz and noticed a trail on the left side of the highway just a few miles past the Nambe area. Does anyone have info on this? Length and such?

    Thanks,
    J

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    89
    I've ridden there several times. It's a pretty large area and I think it's BLM land. There are several miles of trails. No long climbs. Rolling trails in badlands-like terrain.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    69
    Yes, there is a lot of fun stuff on the west side of the road. It can extend to Arroyo Seco, and some additional on the far westside ridges. A little hike and bike and knowlege of the area helps to find this area way up on top. But, on the east side of the hard ball are BLM land also and it extends quite a was north eastward. Look east across from where you saw the gate and trail and you will see a nice mountain with some radio towers. There is some good sustained climbing there. Single and double track, and lots of awesome views.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    151
    Thanks for the replies. I am gonna have to check it out before it gets too hot out there.

    J

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cabra cadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    598
    Here is a google earth shot of a GPS track I did.

    The parking lot is the far lower right. The sideways figure eight is the main loop out there and it is about 4 miles. The center of the figure going north to south has the most flow so one good way to do this is to go through the gate, take the right fork and head north, take the first left, take the next left and hit the flow, take 4 more rights to do the flow section again and head back to the lot heading east on the lower right section.

    The cherry stem out to the left was along a wash, which was pretty firm and fine for riding. It is mostly easy flat riding but with a few real steep, short climbs.

    The Santa Fe Fat Tire Society is working with the BLM to get more trails put in. (a new website is coming soon)

    We are also working hard to keep the Winsor open to biking which is under recent threat from proposed wilderness expansion.

    Right now $20 ind./$30 family gets you club and IMBA membership.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail just past Nambe-nambe-badlands.jpg  


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    151
    Thanks for the map.

    Closing the Windsor? Holy CRAP. I live less than a mile from the trailhead. Where can we find information on the proposed closing?

    Thanks,
    J

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSweetleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake21
    Thanks for the map.

    Closing the Windsor? Holy CRAP. I live less than a mile from the trailhead. Where can we find information on the proposed closing?

    Thanks,
    J
    I don't think you will find any info on it cause it is a bunch of BS

  8. #8
    Thread Pollution
    Reputation: makachut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,734

    candid opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake21
    Thanks for the map.

    Closing the Windsor? Holy CRAP. I live less than a mile from the trailhead. Where can we find information on the proposed closing?

    Thanks,
    J
    I haven't heard one {and I mean One} good thing about santa fe fat tire society from peeps who have attended the meetings. Seems its a way for there leaders to meet required volunteer hours for the job at REI. And now they go and spread false rumors about proposed trail closures.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peacebro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    Be your best self and be part of the solution. Peace to you.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cabra cadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    598
    Jake21,

    Here is a link to the resolution the city passed to support expanding the Pecos Wilderness to include most/all the trails we like to ride west of the ski area. It is resolution 2010-75.

    SSweetleaf, I hope you can see that it is not BS, but is very serious. The SFFTS has been working for months with Ashely Korenblat of the PLI (Public Lands Inititative) of IMBA. Look her up, hell of a MTBr. We now have got the council to rescind that resolution via a letter writing campaign and have Coss and Bushee strongly behind us. Expanding wilderness sounds liek a great idea, but that had no ide it would impact MTB riders and the city's application to be a bike friendly city. We also have gotten the support of Rep. Ben Ray Lujan as well and will have representatives meeting with their folks in DC to support our cause.

    Maka,

    I know you are pretty famous for fanning the flames, which I find pretty funny most of the time. What specifically have you heard that is bad? AFAIK there are only 3 REI employees that are club members and only one of them are on the board. I am not an REI employee. We have about 50 paid members and about 150 folks that are interested in the group, but have not paid in yet. I encourage you to come to our next meeting to see what it is about for yourself. I have met a lot of great riders and we are keeping trails open and making new trails. We have a Rideshare email list for folks to suggest rides and meet up. What else could one want from a club?

    We have been rotating meetings at all the bike shops in town and the next one, 6:30 March 14, does happen to be at REI. Anyone that is a member or becomes a member will get a 20% of coupon of anything full price.

    Here is part of a letter one of our members wrote to encourage folks to join the club. In it, you'll see what other good things we have done:

    While we have only been around since August, we have already been very active in supporting the cause of mountain bikers in the Santa Fe area. Here are a few brief items that have been dealing with.

    With conflict issues occurring on the Winsor, the Forest Service was considering closing the trail to mountain bikes. The club has stepped in to adopt a section of the Winsor and we have told the FS that we would work to educate riders on the rules of the trail. With mountain bikers doing most of the maintenance on the trail, it is less likely that it will be closed to us. If you are interested, we have a trail project on the Winsor on April 23rd. This fall we will also be helping the FS with some short reroutes of the trail.

    The New Mexico Wilderness Alliance has proposed an expansion of the Pecos Wilderness that would include the Winsor, Bear Wallow, Borrego, Chamisa, Rio en Medio, and others. The Mayor and the City Council, not knowing this would ban bikes passed a resolution in support of the expansion. Once we heard about this we went into action. The Mayor is now in support of our position and on 2/23 the City will rescind a resolution that will reverse their stance. We are also in talks with the Wilderness Alliance to work out a compromise that would not take away any of our trails. In a conversation with a mutual friend, the folks from the Wilderness Alliance stated that the Fat Tire Society is a powerful group. (And we are just starting.)

    We are currently working with the BLM to expand the trail network at the Nambe Badlands.

    We are working with the Forest Service to expand the mountain bike potential in the Caja del Rio.

    We are shooting for the moon and this will take years, but have received a favorable response for creating a premier destination trail that would snake down from near Tesuque Peak to somewhere along the lower Winsor.

    We are bringing the Subaru/IMBA Trail Crew back to town. We really wanted to build a new section of trail somewhere during their visit. We were initially told that we could not do work on a proposed new section of trail at La Tierra because the final master plan has not been completed. However, through our efforts we have convinced the city that our building this trail is a good thing for all involved. The City Council will be passing a resolution in support of the Trail Crew visit on 2/23 and from this we will get our green light to perform work out there on May 7th. (You should try to join us for this big event.)

    These are just some of the highlights of what we have done in our first six months. However, we need continued support to accomplish our goals. We need to get our club numbers up. The more folks that we can say that we have in the club, the more influence we will have. We can also use financial support to move our programs forward.

    The club has recently put in an application to become a Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association. (IMBA). Some benefits of this are that we will be granted 501C not profit status so any contributions that you make to the club will be tax deductable. Also, if you join our club you will automatically become a member of IMBA and the various benefits that that entails.

    Before we officially become a chapter, all membership dues will stay with our club. However, once we become official, IMBA will receive a portion of the dues. If you currently belong to IMBA, your membership will be extended one year from the month you sign up with the SFFTS.

    Before we officially become an IMBA Chapter, membership dues are $20 for individuals and $30 for families. I think there might even be a $10 student rate. If you are interested in supporting the club by joining let me know and I will connect you with our membership coordinator.

    Here is a link to join.

    Thanks for reading this.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,237
    The wilderness expansion is very real. There was a teacher on Canyon Road last week who had her entire class out going from door-to-door asking for signatures and donations to promote Wilderness designation for this and other large areas of NM.
    I told her that I as a mountain biker opposed and let her know that these areas can be resticted to motorized use without a Wilderness designation and that I thought it was wrong to exlude certain non-motorized user groups from these areas. She rolled her eyes at me and then looked at my co-worker and asked him if he'd like to donate and give a signature. I promptly told her that she wasn't going to stand in my gallery and work against me and showed her the door.

    Cab's quote here: "We also have gotten the support of Rep. Ben Ray Lujan as well and will have representatives meeting with their folks in DC to support our cause." Is great, but Rep Ben Ray Lujan is actively pushing legislation involving creating more wilderness in NM: http://www.nmwild.org/current-campai...-in-u-s-house/

    I have a hard time believing he is really doing anything for deserving trail user groups such as bikers. I think he sees himself gaining more political clout and popular support as a supporter of Wilderness. Lujan is a strong partner with the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance. I have a feeling that Lujan is not going to be a very good representative for the SFFTS stance on MTB access. He's busy promoting and working for Wilderness expansion.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSweetleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra

    SSweetleaf, I hope you can see that it is not BS, but is very serious. The SFFTS has been working for months with Ashely Korenblat of the PLI (Public Lands Inititative) of IMBA. Look her up, hell of a MTBr. We now have got the council to rescind that resolution via a letter writing campaign and have Coss and Bushee strongly behind us. Expanding wilderness sounds liek a great idea, but that had no ide it would impact MTB riders and the city's application to be a bike friendly city. We also have gotten the support of Rep. Ben Ray Lujan as well and will have representatives meeting with their folks in DC to support our cause.
    cabra cadabra: Your link to a pdf of a proposed designation to extend the wilderness boundary doesn't really mean much when there is no map showing the proposed area. Can you provide a map of this? Thanks

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cabra cadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    598
    hey delnorte, thanks for the info. I did not say that Lujan, nor SFFTS, nor IMBA do not support Wilderness, actually their stance, which we align with, is here. To be more clear, he supports not closing the trails near the Winsor specifically.

    After speaking with Ashley from PLI/IMBA, Wilderness can be used to protect trails if it is adjacent or surrounding the trail like a cherry stem trail. IMBA has decided not to try to get bikes into Wilderness areas, presumably because the fight is too hard and they could loose all their clout by making enemies. We trust IMBA's experience in dealing with this issue all over the US and we are working with them to fight this.

    SSweatleaf, I do not have a map since the Wilderness Alliance is trying to keep this low on the radar presumably. We have had a member in discussions with them and he has seen their plans. They do want as much Wilderness as possible, that is the main objective for some of their members. I will see if I can get more info for you. We have taken the approach of working with them on this and even helping them, if it means keeping our trails open. I think one of our members is meeting with them tonight. As you read, they are taking the SFFTS seriously and see the need to cooperate with us.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    151
    Anyone seen a map? Where as: That resolution is the most vague document I have ever seen.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5

    Pecos expansion

    We met with the NM Wilderness Alliance. They realized that with congressman Lujan on our side that they were not going to get any expansion without our support. They told us today that they would take the trails near Hyde Park off the board and try for NCA designation for those areas. That would still protect them from new roads, mining, etc, but would keep the trails open to bikes. The Fat Tire Society will work with them to make sure that key trails are not included in the expansion.

  16. #16
    Thread Pollution
    Reputation: makachut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,734

    I like tea,coffee and beer all at once

    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra
    Jake21,

    Here is a link to the resolution the city passed to support expanding the Pecos Wilderness to include most/all the trails we like to ride west of the ski area. It is resolution 2010-75.

    SSweetleaf, I hope you can see that it is not BS, but is very serious. The SFFTS has been working for months with Ashely Korenblat of the PLI (Public Lands Inititative) of IMBA. Look her up, hell of a MTBr. We now have got the council to rescind that resolution via a letter writing campaign and have Coss and Bushee strongly behind us. Expanding wilderness sounds liek a great idea, but that had no ide it would impact MTB riders and the city's application to be a bike friendly city. We also have gotten the support of Rep. Ben Ray Lujan as well and will have representatives meeting with their folks in DC to support our cause.

    Maka,

    I know you are pretty famous for fanning the flames, which I find pretty funny most of the time. What specifically have you heard that is bad? AFAIK there are only 3 REI employees that are club members and only one of them are on the board. I am not an REI employee. We have about 50 paid members and about 150 folks that are interested in the group, but have not paid in yet. I encourage you to come to our next meeting to see what it is about for yourself. I have met a lot of great riders and we are keeping trails open and making new trails. We have a Rideshare email list for folks to suggest rides and meet up. What else could one want from a club?

    We have been rotating meetings at all the bike shops in town and the next one, 6:30 March 14, does happen to be at REI. Anyone that is a member or becomes a member will get a 20% of coupon of anything full price.

    Here is part of a letter one of our members wrote to encourage folks to join the club. In it, you'll see what other good things we have done:

    While we have only been around since August, we have already been very active in supporting the cause of mountain bikers in the Santa Fe area. Here are a few brief items that have been dealing with.

    With conflict issues occurring on the Winsor, the Forest Service was considering closing the trail to mountain bikes. The club has stepped in to adopt a section of the Winsor and we have told the FS that we would work to educate riders on the rules of the trail. With mountain bikers doing most of the maintenance on the trail, it is less likely that it will be closed to us. If you are interested, we have a trail project on the Winsor on April 23rd. This fall we will also be helping the FS with some short reroutes of the trail.

    The New Mexico Wilderness Alliance has proposed an expansion of the Pecos Wilderness that would include the Winsor, Bear Wallow, Borrego, Chamisa, Rio en Medio, and others. The Mayor and the City Council, not knowing this would ban bikes passed a resolution in support of the expansion. Once we heard about this we went into action. The Mayor is now in support of our position and on 2/23 the City will rescind a resolution that will reverse their stance. We are also in talks with the Wilderness Alliance to work out a compromise that would not take away any of our trails. In a conversation with a mutual friend, the folks from the Wilderness Alliance stated that the Fat Tire Society is a powerful group. (And we are just starting.)

    We are currently working with the BLM to expand the trail network at the Nambe Badlands.

    We are working with the Forest Service to expand the mountain bike potential in the Caja del Rio.

    We are shooting for the moon and this will take years, but have received a favorable response for creating a premier destination trail that would snake down from near Tesuque Peak to somewhere along the lower Winsor.

    We are bringing the Subaru/IMBA Trail Crew back to town. We really wanted to build a new section of trail somewhere during their visit. We were initially told that we could not do work on a proposed new section of trail at La Tierra because the final master plan has not been completed. However, through our efforts we have convinced the city that our building this trail is a good thing for all involved. The City Council will be passing a resolution in support of the Trail Crew visit on 2/23 and from this we will get our green light to perform work out there on May 7th. (You should try to join us for this big event.)

    These are just some of the highlights of what we have done in our first six months. However, we need continued support to accomplish our goals. We need to get our club numbers up. The more folks that we can say that we have in the club, the more influence we will have. We can also use financial support to move our programs forward.

    The club has recently put in an application to become a Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association. (IMBA). Some benefits of this are that we will be granted 501C not profit status so any contributions that you make to the club will be tax deductable. Also, if you join our club you will automatically become a member of IMBA and the various benefits that that entails.

    Before we officially become a chapter, all membership dues will stay with our club. However, once we become official, IMBA will receive a portion of the dues. If you currently belong to IMBA, your membership will be extended one year from the month you sign up with the SFFTS.

    Before we officially become an IMBA Chapter, membership dues are $20 for individuals and $30 for families. I think there might even be a $10 student rate. If you are interested in supporting the club by joining let me know and I will connect you with our membership coordinator.

    Here is a link to join.

    Thanks for reading this.
    Good work,captain. join,who me, I'm really not into club dynamics and the clique's of who's cool and who's not that comes with them… I do good deeds on my own without the need of a pat on the back or a thata boy ego boost. As for specifics on what I've heard from other SF mtn. bikers concerning your club….lets just say it not my cup of tea and leave any bad mouthing out until I've actually attended your roll call withflame thrower in hand
    I ask this question; would Ed Abbey join your group= probably not
    Last edited by makachut; 03-11-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5

    Santa Fe Fat Tire Society

    Maka: By no means to you need to join our club. We will be doing good things for local bikers whether you are a member or not. However, your joining would help us to get our number of female members up.

    As for not joining because you are not cool enough. . .well, I haven't been anywhere near cool for the past 30 years or so, so I don't think you have to worry about that. The common thread is love of mountain biking. We don't care what you wear or what you ride.

    We hope you can join us for one of our trail projects such as Winsor on 4/23 and La Tierra with the IMBA Trail Crew on 5/7, but if not, we all appreciate any individual contributions that riders do on their own. It is all good.

    Ride on.

    Harebrainbob

    PS Ed Abbey probably would have joined our club had he been a mountain biker.

  18. #18
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    I do good deeds on my own without the need of a pat on the back or a thata boy ego boost.
    You seem to be patting your own back more than enough... hohahahehahew... jk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by harebrainbob
    Maka: By no means to you need to join our club. We will be doing good things for local bikers whether you are a member or not. However, your joining would help us to get our number of female members up.

    As for not joining because you are not cool enough. . .well, I haven't been anywhere near cool for the past 30 years or so, so I don't think you have to worry about that. The common thread is love of mountain biking. We don't care what you wear or what you ride.

    We hope you can join us for one of our trail projects such as Winsor on 4/23 and La Tierra with the IMBA Trail Crew on 5/7, but if not, we all appreciate any individual contributions that riders do on their own. It is all good.

    Ride on.

    Harebrainbob

    PS Ed Abbey probably would have joined our club had he been a mountain biker.
    I hope to join you guys in some of that trailwork. I hope you will post up the work dates as they come up.
    By the way, I thought Abbey was a pretty miserable character. His outlook on nature was unique, interesting and worthy of acknowledgement, yet he seems to be self-loathing. I truly believe that Abbey would despise mountain bikers.

  20. #20
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    I hope to join you guys in some of that trailwork. I hope you will post up the work dates as they come up.
    By the way, I thought Abbey was a pretty miserable character. His outlook on nature was unique, interesting and worthy of acknowledgement, yet he seems to be self-loathing. I truly believe that Abbey would despise mountain bikers.
    The real question is whether you'd kick him out of your art gallery...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya
    The real question is whether you'd kick him out of your art gallery...
    Good one!

  22. #22
    Bearlike
    Reputation: Littlebear73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    163

    Imba

    I'm just glad that there is an IMBA club on the scene here in Santa Fe.
    Instead of standing by and watching trail closures, there is an organization that has some push back. Who gives a crap if it is a clique or cool, it keeps trails open.

    -B
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    … I do good deeds on my own without the need of a pat on the back or a thata boy ego boost....
    I don't know you, but I like you because of this. I guess we're kindred spirits.

    I prefer the quiet route myself, but I do have to hold my nose sometimes because there is power in groups. The sad fact politically is that politicians listen to organized groups. Lobbying for things is lots more effective when there is the power of the group behind it. The moto lobby has TONS of people and funding behind it (multi million $$ a year from the motorcycle manufacturers) and as a result they've managed to worm their way into more access. If I were a betting man, I'd say we're going to see more damaged trails as the motos chew their way deeper and deeper into the woods in the coming years.

    All that said, I'm not sure I agree with the idea that mountain bikes need to be everywhere, including in wilderness-designated areas. I know it's heresy to say that aloud in a place like this, but it's my personal opinion. We mountain bikers are sometimes our own worst enemy. I'm not sure we'll be endearing ourselves and separating ourselves from the motos by thundering past hikers in wilderness areas. JMO.

    Anyway, I don't know what I really wanted to say here because I got way off track, but I do like to see that people are discussing this stuff. I guess I'd just say, keep plugging away on your own if that's what floats your boat, but keep in mind that sometimes the groups out there actively fighting on the fronts might like to count the lone wolves out there among their numbers when approaching the lawmakers.

    --Jim

    (Edited to fix an apparent major breakdown in basic mental functions.....)
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.