Tire question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire question

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Tire question

I am moving to the Albuquerque area in a few months. I have a Scott Genius with 27.5 inch wheels that I have set up tubeless. My rear tire (Rocket Ron) is not holding air well due to an impressive gash in the tire. So I need to get a new rear tire. Just wondering if I should get a Rocket Ron or something different for the New Mexico area? I am old and not an aggressive rider. I guess my style is XC/Trail? Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride XC tires (Maxxis and Vittoria), ride pretty much anywhere anyone else does and probably throw away 7 or 8 tires because of tread wear for everyone that suffers a terminal cut. Although I've never been a fan of Schwalbe's, it doesn't mean they can't work. Any tire can suffer a terminal cut if the stars are in proper alignment, but as long as you don't try to save weight on sidewalls or money on sealant, and you're not jumping off stuff or racing Enduro, XC tires are fine for practically all of the riding that's done in NM. That's also assuming that you're not inclined to ride with impressive gashes in your tires.

mtbr member
    We haven't had much luck with zee Germans here--both Schwalbe and Continentals seem to suffer in the desert. Not sure about the new Addix stuff, but I got 1 ride on a brand new set of Continentals and three rides on a pair of Nobby Nics before their knobs were torn off.

Most people go with Maxxis or WTB, they seem tougher and wear slower. Most treads work well, as long as it has some bite since trails go through phases of being very loose throughout the year.

Welcome to NM!

RCC
    Bandolero
    I've been using Maxxis Minions DHFs double ply for a few years now and been very happy with then,a bit heavy but they work well.good luck!
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    I've been using Maxxis Minions DHFs double ply for a few years now and been very happy with then,a bit heavy but they work well.good luck!
    RCC
    A few years meaning 10...

mtbr member
    Hate it when I get a sidewall tear....I just sew mine up with needle and tread, new sealant if needed. Its been several months, now, still good to go....

What? There's more?
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Hate it when I get a sidewall tear....I just sew mine up with needle and tread, new sealant if needed. Its been several months, now, still good to go....
    I thought I was the only one cheap enough to sew up a cut tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think the Maxxis tires do really well here, and you'll probably want something more stout than a RoRo for New Mexico trails. Here's my tire suggestions. Think of it as a spectrum, where one end is fast rolling and the other end is grippy:

FAST ROLLING
    -------------------------------------------------
    Aggressor (f) - Aggressor (r)
    DHR2 (f) - Aggressor (r)
    DHF (f) - Aggressor (r)
    DHF (f) - DHR2 (r)
    GRIPPY

If you can't tell, I like the Aggressor.

If you're on RoRo's right now then these tires are going to be a lot different than what you're used to. New Mexico has lots of 'loose over hard' where you need good knobs to dig through the trail and find solid ground.

Not to sound like a brand snob, but there are quite a few brands of tires that just don't survive around here...as mentioned above. Schwalbes and Conti's are definitely 2 of the brands to avoid.
    Last edited by Porch; 01-08-2018 at 01:46 PM.

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    A few years meaning 10...
    Some like that
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I think the Maxxis tires do really well here, and you'll probably want something more stout than a RoRo for New Mexico trails. Here's my tire suggestions. Think of it as a spectrum, where one end is fast rolling and the other end is grippy:

FAST ROLLING
    Aggressor (f) - Aggressor (r)
    DHR2 (f) - Aggressor (r)
    DHF (f) - Aggressor (r)
    DHF (f) - DHR2 (r)
    GRIPPY

If you can't tell, I like the Aggressor.

If you're on RoRo's right now then these tires are going to be a lot different than what you're used to. New Mexico has lots of 'loose over hard' where you need good knobs to dig through the trail and find solid ground.

Not to sound like a brand snob, but there are quite a few brands of tires that just don't survive around here...as mentioned above. Schwalbes and Conti's are definitely 2 of the brands to avoid.
    Gonna second the aggressor here - I've been rocking that tire in the rear since July and it's perfect for our dry, dusty trails. Might be a bit too slow for xc purposes, but that tire rocks.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    I thought I was the only one cheap enough to sew up a cut tire.
    Ha Ha, I know !

I let the boot patch (2" gash in sidewall) I did get me around for at least a year and finally thought the longer I went, the more embarrassed I'd be about it. That's just wrong though.
    Take pride in doing up a jury rig fix that uses basics and seems to last forever.
    Maybe I was wrong to not wait for it to fail but I WAS cheap. It was a $20 tire.

Had a root sticking out sideways from a rut get me on my Performance house-brand Forte Tsali front but I really love that thread for one of my bikes.

On my other bike I still have the OEM Schwalbe NN and I suspect those sidewalls can get any of us in trouble but I like the tire overall.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

saddlemeat
    I have found Maxxis Ardents and Ikons to work well, especially like the 2.35 TR Ikons for everyday XC and bikepacking.
    I ride with the best dogs.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    We haven't had much luck with zee Germans here--both Schwalbe and Continentals seem to suffer in the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Interesting... I was going to mount up a Der Kaiser Projekt as the tire for my 'burly' rear wheel (Moab/Sedona trips, lift access days and shuttle runs)... holding it and a DoubleDown DHR2, it seems the Conti's casing is burlier.

I'm currently a CO Front Ranger (possibly moving to ABQ), on a 6" slack AM 29er, that is quite happy with a DHF EXO front/Aggressor DD (or WTB Breakout) rear.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Interesting... I was going to mount up a Der Kaiser Projekt as the tire for my 'burly' rear wheel (Moab/Sedona trips, lift access days and shuttle runs)... holding it and a DoubleDown DHR2, it seems the Conti's casing is burlier.

I'm currently a CO Front Ranger (possibly moving to ABQ), on a 6" slack AM 29er, that is quite happy with a DHF EXO front/Aggressor DD (or WTB Breakout) rear.
    If you make the move to ABQ, PM me or look me up. Fellow Hokie ('95) here.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)