Time for another trip to Santa Fe: Conditions and Advice Sought- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Time for another trip to Santa Fe: Conditions and Advice Sought

We are driving out on our Spring Break March 22-28. We ride the area a lot, so I kind of know our usual spots.

Last year was a wet year.. how is moisture this year? Temps look good, and I don't see a lot of projected moisture between now and our visit.

For this time of year in the past, we usually hit La Tierra and Galisteo. Windsor is, obviously, a no go. Is there anywhere else we should hit? I like XC, but my son isn't a fan, unless it's really interesting XC (he likes the rock rolls and jank at Galisteo, so I can convince him for that). We've never really ridden much of Dale Ball, either, so there might be something there we're missing for this time of year?

Also willing to drive down to ABQ if there is some awesome riding we're missing for that time of year.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get out that way again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Sounds like you have the Santa Fe knowledge just about covered. White Mesa is a great ride just outside of ABQ that is almost always in rideable condition, except for immediately after some weather. It is definitely an XC ride but has some moderately interesting technical features and jumps, not quite "jank" except for a bit of extra credit on the central spine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by crj5 View Post
    Sounds like you have the Santa Fe knowledge just about covered. White Mesa is a great ride just outside of ABQ that is almost always in rideable condition, except for immediately after some weather. It is definitely an XC ride but has some moderately interesting technical features and jumps, not quite "jank" except for a bit of extra credit on the central spine.
    We've been wanting to ride White Mesa. We almost did it last year, but the day we were planning on was very cold and windy. The exposure didn't seem like a lot of fun in those conditions. May try to tackle it this year! Thanks!

mtbr member
    It's been pretty wet, but also quite warm. My guess is that Dale Ball North and Central will be 95% clear by then and the main atalaya trail, alongside both GBP and La Tierra.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    It's been pretty wet, but also quite warm. My guess is that Dale Ball North and Central will be 95% clear by then and the main atalaya trail, alongside both GBP and La Tierra.
    So we've never really ventured into Dale Ball much, because it's a very confusing "web of trails" similar to La Tierra but without the easy attractions of Hustle and Flow and the Trash Pit that we know we can hit and have fun with). Is there a recommended "most fun" route that people do?

mtbr member
    If you've ever ridden Lunch Loops or some of Phils World, those have similar sort of feel in some regards. Here's my lunch route to get you started: Dale Ball Central Lunch Loop - Santa Fe Singletrack

There's also good parking at Sierra del Norte Trailhead (it's on Google maps).

Each intersection of Dale Ball has a map and number, so it's nearly impossible to get legitimately lost. There's varying levels of skill, but it's a lot more punchy up and down than La Tierra and you're in the trees, so good option if its windier out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There is a possibility of a significant snow storm coming into the state March 11th-14th. Too early to know what it will do, but it could change the trail riding significantly if it snows down low, stays somewhat cold, and then begins to dry by the time the OP gets here. This is a transitional time of the year. It wouldn't be a bit surprising if we had another storm system blow through the state in a week as well.

That said, I did ride the SS on DB central and north yesterday. Besides a few very damp spots, it was clear. Nice to ride something other than La T or GBP! This time of the year most of my riding is up in TSV anyway. So, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
    Last edited by beastmaster; 03-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    There is a possible significant snow storm coming into the state March 11th-14th. Too early to know what it will do, but it could change the trail riding significantly if it snows down low, stays somewhat cold, and than begins to dry by the time the OP gets here. This is a transitional time of the year. It wouldn't be a bit surprising if we had another storm system blows through the state in a week as well.

That said, I did ride the SS on DB central and north yesterday. Besides a few very damp spots, it was clear. Nice to ride something other than La T or GBP! This time of the year most of my riding is up in TSV anyway. So, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
    We will keep a watch on the weather. Last year we dealt with the after effect of snow and had pretty limited riding, even at La Tierra, for the first few days of the trip. Then it cleared and got better.