Three Bottles summer volunteer work schedule- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Three Bottles summer volunteer work schedule

Just got the summer schedule for the Forest Service Volunteers on trail work. Trail days are for the Three Bottles extension, Faulty Trail Reroute and Talking Tallon Trail. First up will be 3-Bs extension.
    May 23rd
    June 6 National Trails Day
    June 27
    July 18
    Aug 15
    Aug 29
    Sept 12
    We will be walking the new route for 3-B with Kerry on the 1st of April if anyone is interested in helping out. Good chance to have some say on the rout. Not sure what time and where to meet yet. As soon as I know, you will know.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think we decided we were going to walk it the afternoon of April 2nd. April 3rd is the backup plan.

Am I misinformed?

mtbr member
    not misinformed, just excluded
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    what time is the afternoon? id love to go but im working both days..... Lets plan on the 3rd at 4pm????
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    not misinformed, just excluded
    No shirt, no shoes...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    No more dirty laundry!

mtbr member
    My bad! April; 2nd is the day. Still not sure of the time yet. Not my place to change, Fuggs. Kerry set the day. He is working on a pretty tight schedule right now. Not much wiggle room.

mtbr member
    What time on the 2nd?
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    What time on the 2nd?
    Were meeting Kerry at 9:30 at Mars Ct. That's the word right now. It could move an hour or so later.

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve; how long do you think it'll take?
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    Thanks Steve; how long do you think it'll take?
    Three hours max I would think.

mtbr member
    The time has changed some as I thought it would. Still Meeting at Mars Ct. on Thursday. 11:00 am now. Hope to see few of you out there.

but i want to ride now
    Be sure to mark out some warp speed senders for me!
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    We will be moving the trail walk to NEXT Thursday. I came down with a bed chest cold yesterday and kicking my butt today. Very sorry for the delay.

mtbr member
    Again, Sorry for the change in walking the new extension last week. Dang bug got me good.
    Were back on again this THURSDAY the 9th at 11:00am. We will be meeting at Mars Ct. Lets go lay out a good rout. See ya Thursday!

mtbr member
    Three Bottles  summer volunteer work schedule-img_2383.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]979958[/AT
    TACH]Three Bottles  summer volunteer work schedule-img_2385.jpg It was a great day to walk a new trail. Bruce, Dan, Aaron, Kerry and I met to walk-plan the rout for the new 3-Bottles extension. This will be a great addition for everyone. There will actually be two trails. One for the DH flow trail with plenty of jumps, doubles and a couple of step downs. The other which will run close to the DH will be for the climbers. This way you don't have to worry about someone flying down and hitting you. Something here for everyone to like. All features will have a bypass if you're not feeling froggy. Just cruise down the flow trail. Starts near the north end of 3-Bs and will join back in at the junction of Blue Ribbon and Gnasty. No more two track to deal with. Looking to getting started with the build next month. Lots of berms to build. Need lots of HELP!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Bottles  summer volunteer work schedule-img_2384.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome Steve! Thankfully the trail days are on the weekend!

-cabra cadabra

Stucco Bucket
    Lot of work to cut the trail where we want, but it sure will flow. Thanks for the ride Steve

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys, we usually have more work days, but Kerry has limited resources this summer. Mtbike52 and I have volunteered to lead some additional days if people are interested.

We walked the trail a couple weeks ago. It starts just before 3 Bottles exits the woods at the North end, and connects to the intersection of Blue Ribbon and Gnasty. It's mostly gradual downhill, with the potential to pick up a lot of speed. There are a couple rocky sections that will be good for drops, but not a lot. We plan on building some berms and jumps to make it interesting. I'm working on the possibility of getting some wooden features added, but I still need to do a lot of research, and get Kerry's approval. I think it'll be a cool trail. It won't be as technical as 3-Bottles part 1, but it should be fast and fun, and it'll certainly be better than riding the forest service road to Blue Ribbon.

SO, are people interested in adding more work days?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    SO, are people interested in adding more work days?
    Yup. maybe with different hours than the regular trail days
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    What he said. I would definitely like to see some more trail days.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Kerry and I will be walking the proposed extension rout to get our plan of attack together on Thurs. the 14th at 9:30, Mars Ct Pl. The rout flagged right now is just the general rout. Everyone is welcome to come out and help up define the line. The more input the better. The first build date is just around the corner. The 23rd of this month. Come on out and be a part of this project and help make it the success that last years 3-B build was.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Yup. maybe with different hours than the regular trail days
    What do you guys mean by different hours? Would you like to have them during the week after work, or start earlier/end earlier on weekends? Please elaborate, Fug or Calhoun.

mtbr member
    week days after 5 or week ends after 1

mtbr member
    Cant make a trail day that starts @ 9am on a weekday

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Cant make a trail day that starts @ 9am on a weekday
    I don't thing there will be any weekday trail days. Don't see many showing for weekday evening work. But hoping to add some weekend days. And Fuggs, go for your ride after the trail work on Saturdays. Don't think we will wait until afternoon to start. Most want to get in while it is still cool and get done early afternoon with plenty of time to ride.
    I was hoping to change the first two dates but that won't happen. The first date is on Memorial weekend and the second which is National Trail Day is on the first Pajarito weekend. Sucks, but what can I do?

Stucco Bucket
    yea last year a trail day was on paji summerfest. I cant make either, got a wedding to attend in El Paso on June 6th

mtbr member
    I met with Kerry and Ryan with the Forest Service today. We walked and fine tuned the rout for the first days build. What we flagged today is going to be fast and fun. There are good spots to get a couple of doubles in and what should be a nice step down. Lots of nice curves and swoops to make it fun between the doubles we get in. And that's just what we have flagged to get started. Another mile to fine tune and build after that. Were going to need all the help we can get to get this project done. So make some plans to join in the fun and get your hands dirty. Lets make this as big of a success as last years build was. See you on the trail!

mtbr member
    Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9 am on Sat to sign in and have the safety meeting. Then up to Mars Ct PL. As of right now there is only the Sat work day set this month. Hadn't heard form anyone about Sun. If enough are interested in Sunday and let me know, I'll check on it with Kerry. WE do need all the extra hands we can get to get done. I know Kerry has other projects he wants to move on to as well. With the help, this part of 3-B should go fairly easy. At least as compared to last year. There is very little rock to work with. Other than digging out some roots and stumps its mostly some benching, raking out the new line and building Berms and some doubles. Also Kerry told me that he is open to some smaller wooden features. I'm looking further into that! Bottom line is the more help we can get for this build, the quicker we get done and start HITTING THAT $H!T.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9 am on Sat to sign in and have the safety meeting. Then up to Mars Ct. With the help, this part of 3-B should go fairly easy. At least as compared to last year. There is very little rock to work with. Other than digging out some roots and stumps its mostly some benching, raking out the new line and building Berms and some doubles.
    I was told that I may have made it sound like there is not a lot of work to be done and this trail would be easy. That is not the case. It all is a lot of work which we need lots of help to get it done. Well over a mile of new trail is no joke. Just not a lot of rock to try and move like last year. And again. If your interested in Sunday as well let me know and I'll be glad to work on it.

mtbr member
    I'll be there Saturday, and can likely do Sunday as well.
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Steve,

Can you provide a rough location of where the work is going to start on Saturday?

Would it be okay if I get an early start and ride up to the work area and fill out my paperwork there? If so, sounds like a 9:30-9:45 arrival at the work area would work fine. Please confirm.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
    Patrick

mtbr member
    OK, Heads up! Due to the heavy rain in the David Canyon area, the Three Bottles trail work set for tomorrow has changed. The David Canyon Rd has become undriveable with large mud pits. The FS will instead work on a Lower Pine Trail project tomorrow and still meet at the Ranger Station at 9am. Back to 3-B in June. Hopefully adding some days to make up for the lost time. Love the rain, hate the delay.

mtbr member
    Just a quick reminder. We will be finally starting the 3-B extension a week from Sat. June 6th. Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    Talked to Kerry earlier today. This Sat the 6th is National Trails Day. On National Trails Day Kerry usually gets a big influx of people that have never done trail work. And on N.T.D. he likes to put them on a relatively easy project. That being said, we will be starting the 3-B extension in the next work day planned. That is June 27th. For those interested in doing trail work this weekend, meet at the ranger station at 9 am. Wear long pants and sturdy shoes. Gloves and hard hat will be provided.

mtbr member
    sucks that the first day keeps getting delayed. Im looking forward to seeing what the trail will look like. how is the extension going all the way to the top of gnasty?

mtbr member
    The build is on. Really! This Sat the 27th. Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. Long pants and sturdy shoes are required. A couple of things have delayed the start of this project. So we have some lost time to make up. In an effort to get more of you out, the new AMBANM will be doing a BBQ after the work day Sat. Good food brought in by the Green Side Café, Ribs BBQ and BEER by the Bosque Brewing Company. What the heck else can you ask for! If you're interested in attending the BBQ, you will need to check in at the AMBANM web sits. Need to know how much food to bring. Send email to [email protected] or to the ambanm facebook page

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Do you know when abouts you guys normally wrap?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Do you know when abouts you guys normally wrap?
    It's important always to wrap as soon as things start getting serious.

Ooooh, you're talking about the trail work days! Usually around 2 or 3, but it's okay to finish early if you have to. We understand it happens sometimes.

mtbr member
    Headed out to help Kerry cut the trees out of the way so we can be ready to hit the ground digging tomorrow.
    Have you signed up for the food and beer afterwards? See you tomorrow, 9am at the Tijeras ranger station.

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve. Planning to be there.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    addendum...I'm planning to meet everyone at the ranger station, then drive to the parking lot and ride my bike in after the safety briefing. that way I can get a bit of a ride in after the trail work.

Just FYI, in case anyone wants to join me.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How'd it go?

mtbr member
    How'd it go?
    We got a good start. About 20 people showed. Everyone kicked ass clearing brush, digging stumps and building berms. My thanks to everyone that came out. The food from Greenside Café and Ribs BBQ and Beer from Bosque Brewing hit the spot afterwards. Thanks!
    Lots more trail to build. Next work day is July 18th. We need YOU! See you there.

mtbr member
    We got a good start. About 20 people showed. Everyone kicked ass clearing brush, digging stumps and building berms. My thanks to everyone that came out. The food from Greenside Café and Ribs BBQ and Beer from Bosque Brewing hit the spot afterwards. Thanks!
    Lots more trail to build. Next work day is July 18th. We need YOU! See you there.
    I would love to help out for the 18th! What time/location do you all meet at?

-I'd like to make plans ahead of time and take my kids, as its a great experience for them to learn on giving back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
    I would love to help out for the 18th! What time/location do you all meet at?

-I'd like to make plans ahead of time and take my kids, as its a great experience for them to learn on giving back.
    WE would love to have you guys out. We will meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. See you on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    FYI - All the trail work days are posted on the Albuquerque Mountain Bike Association website.

Albuquerque Mountain Bike Association (AMBA) - Albuquerque, New Mexico Mountain Bike Advocacy

but i want to ride now
    Granpa, Do you happen to have the beta on what the reroutes on Faulty are going to specifically entail. Also, what and where will the Talking Talons trail be?
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Kerry mentioned the Faulty re-routes a while back. Something about the trail wonders into Wilderness at some of the intersections. Didn't sound like anything significant.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the reroutes (four of them) on Faulty are aimed at pulling the trail out of Wilderness in a few spots north of Cole Springs as well as fixing some erosion issues and impacts to cultural sites. Eventually there will be added trails in the Faulty/Armijo area for loop opportunities.

The Talking Talons (what we're calling the "Primera Agua Trail" will connect the Lower Pine trailhead to the midpoint of Coyote trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the reroutes (four of them) on Faulty are aimed at pulling the trail out of Wilderness in a few spots north of Cole Springs as well as fixing some erosion issues and impacts to cultural sites. Eventually there will be added trails in the Faulty/Armijo area for loop opportunities.

The Talking Talons (what we're calling the "Primera Agua Trail" will connect the Lower Pine trailhead to the midpoint of Coyote trail.

mtbr member
    It's that time again. WE had a nice turnout on the last trail work day, but we need more help. We need you. Meet Sat at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. Long pants and sturdy shoes are required. Tools, hard hat and gloves are supplied. Lets make the Three Bottles Extension as big of a success as Last years 3-B build was. See you Sat.

mtbr member
    I'll be there with 3 youngans'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Unfortunately my office is moving and I need to support the IT stuff for the move this weekend :-(

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone wanna do a Mars Court/Tunnel shuttle afterwards?!

mtbr member
    Somethings come up last minute, is it possible to show up a couple hours late? Thinking about riding down from Mars Court, but would need helmet/tool.
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Kerry will probably drive the truck up and park it along the forest service road at the start of the new trail section. I "think" you could probably ride to there, get what you need out of the truck, and walk down and meet us.

mtbr member
    Kerry will probably drive the truck up and park it along the forest service road at the start of the new trail section. I "think" you could probably ride to there, get what you need out of the truck, and walk down and meet us.
    Thanks. Hopefully this won't take too long. If it does I'll make it next trail day.
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully this won't take too long. If it does I'll make it next trail day.
    come out anytime hardhats in truck

mtbr member
    We had a very nice turnout for the 3-B trail work today. Probably 20 plus people. I can't count how many berms have gone in now. It's going to be a really fun trail to ride. Check it out if you ride through the area. Get those new berms bedded in. There's a whole lot more to do. Come on out the next trail day and join the fun. And thanks Green Side Café for all those awesome breakfast burritos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    We had a very nice turnout for the 3-B trail work today. Probably 20 plus people. I can't count how many berms have gone in now. It's going to be a really fun trail to ride. Check it out if you ride through the area. Get those new berms bedded in. There's a whole lot more to do. Come on out the next trail day and join the fun. And thanks Green Side Café for all those awesome breakfast burritos.
    Yes, a long way to go. Crapstick really wants to get this next phase finished this summer. To keep him from over-working himself, getting careless, and stepping on assorted trail tools, please come out and help him finish the connection. He will be forever in your debt.

mtbr member
    This Sat the 15th will be the next Three Bottles trail day. Forget about the guy tearing things up in Otero and help build some kick ass trail. Now's the time if you haven't gotten out to help yet. We need all of your help to get this done this season. Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. Tools, hard hats and gloves are supplied. Long pants, and sturdy shoes are required. See you there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Come and build your trails with USFS approval. Eye protection of some sort also a very good idea and snacks/lunch/water are recommended.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bg2lk15 View Post
    Come and build your trails with USFS approval. Eye protection of some sort also a very good idea and snacks/lunch/water are recommended.
    I found out the hard way that you gotta bring your own athletic cup. Evidently, it's not standard PPE for FS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123 View Post
    I found out the hard way that you gotta bring your own athletic cup. Evidently, it's not standard PPE for FS.
    Exactly. Not provided by the FS. The odd sizes are just too tough to accommodate...

banned
    Sep 2005
    Exactly. Not provided by the FS. The odd sizes are just too tough to accommodate...
    Well, when I was growing up there was S M L. Perhaps the cycling community has more in common with FS than we figured. They can't seem to agree on any standards either.

mtbr member
    Today we had another awesome trail day. The UNM Ski team showed up to help. About a dozen of them. Thanks for your help guys and gals of the ski team! You were a big help! And a big thanks to everyone else that came out to lend a hand. over 25 people all together. We got everything done that we could at this point. Berms are looking sweet now, jump line is planned out. Still LOTS MORE to do. Probably not but a third done. WE need all of your help. On the next trail day, the mtn bikers need to out number the Nordic group. Oh, and thanks to Jay's Greenside Café for donating those awesome breakfast burritos.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Don't forget the motos and the hikers represented as well. Next work day, the Nordic coach said to expect double the turn out. I rode with a couple of them after the workday and they are actually quite fast, surprisingly skilled too. Anyway, it's good to see other user groups taking an interest in these trails. I hope to see a better mountain bike contingent on the next few trail days given recent events....

Gotta get the word out is all.

The trail is running pretty smooth, btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The ski team worked hard! We'll need to cut far ahead to try and keep up with double them! If we pull 50 people next time we could get some serious mileage in!

We two wheelers should be able to double their numbers! - or they may turn it into a slalom course...

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtieterror View Post
    The ski team worked hard! We'll need to cut far ahead to try and keep up with double them! If we pull 50 people next time we could get some serious mileage in!

We two wheelers should be able to double their numbers! - or they may turn it into a slalom course...
    Or, they might even start putting in some moguls (could be fun).

mtbr member
    I was out at 3-Bs today to check things out. We got over an inch of rain yesterday. It was what the doctor ordered. Packed the new berms and freshly dug trail very nicely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtieterror View Post

I don't understand the Nordic/slalom/alpine stuff. But from the way they worked, I believe a number of them are certifiable Vikings...

mtbr member
    Sat. is the next Three Bottles trail work day. Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. Long pants and sturdy shoes are required. Hard hats tools and gloves are supplied by the FS. The last trail day we were out numbered by the UNM Ski Team. I ran into them at the Otero PL Sat. Their coach says they will be there this Sat as well. Don't let the ski team show the mtn bikers up on a mtn bike trail. Come on out and lend a hand and show the ski team how mtb bikers work. We need you!

mtbr member
    Met with Kerry today and flagged and cut corridor for quite a bit of the new rout. Ready for tomorrow. We really need a big group of mtn biker to off set the UNM Ski Team.
    This is a pic of a new jump on the 3-B extension. Good stuff.Three Bottles  summer volunteer work schedule-img_2415.jpg

banned
    Sep 2005
    I love the contrast of big boulders and small rocks. Were there winches involved?

Still needs a little work. I sort of let the ski team design it, just to see what they would come up with.

mtbr member
    I love the contrast of big boulders and small rocks. Were there winches involved?

Still needs a little work. I sort of let the ski team design it, just to see what they would come up with.
    To easy for a$$ w!pe to
    tear out. The first thing Kerry thought was BIGGER and more stout. I like the way he thinks.

banned
    Sep 2005
    To easy for a$$ w!pe to
    tear out. The first thing Kerry thought was BIGGER and more stout. I like the way he thinks.
    copy that!

Cactus Cuddler
    What's there is beautiful and flows well - while it would be a shame to lose any of that to vandalism, it's really nice. Just wish I could make tomorrow's wd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sat. is the next Three Bottles trail work day. Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. Long pants and sturdy shoes are required. Hard hats tools and gloves are supplied by the FS.
    BYO snacks and water/drinks. It gets hot and you burn calories pretty quickly. If you have your own gloves, they will fit better than the ones provided. Eye protection is strongly encouraged.

banned
    Sep 2005
    If you are in/around 3b's tomorrow it would not hurt to go pack it in. Conditions should be quite good. Packing it in now with good, moist topsoil should help to speed up the bedding in process, and also prevent erosion.

Happy Trails!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Thumbsup to all that were out there riding the trail today. Lots of tire tracks, and the dirt is packing in nicely.

mtbr member
    This Sat will be a FS trail work day. But not on Three Bottles. The work will be on the Abq Mtn Bike Fest race rout. They want to spruce up the trail for the race. Make everything good for the people coming from out of town to check out our great trails. Meet at the Tijeras Ranger Station at 9am. Long pants and sturdy shoes are required. Gloves, hard hats and tools will be provided.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Anything else planned, Stevie?

mtbr member
    Anything else planned, Stevie?
    I haven't heard about any added days. Looks like a spring finish for the extension.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I haven't heard about any added days. Looks like a spring finish for the extension.
    Yeah, currently trying to convince Kerry to do a couple unsupervised days just to touch some things up, and do some rough cutting before next year.

High Alpine Adventure
    Yeah, currently trying to convince Kerry to do a couple unsupervised days just to touch some things up, and do some rough cutting before next year.
    I thought you were always "unsupervised"?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
    I thought you were always "unsupervised"?
    Only when I need to be, doogooder.

What? There's more?
    Stunning how well behaved he is when supervised... And how productive when not.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Stunning how well behaved he is when supervised... And how productive when not.
    Sometimes I just pretend someone important is watching me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't pretend bro, I'm watching you...

banned
    Sep 2005
    Don't pretend bro, I'm watching you...
    I picture an old, grey-haired feller with a beard.

2 outa three ain't bad.

mtbr member
    I'm glad that you still think I'm important, but you don't have to pretend anymore, you know I'm retired...

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ka bong View Post
    I'm glad that you still think I'm important, but you don't have to pretend anymore, you know I'm retired...
    You can never retire from The Force, bro.

Blood in, Blood out.