Thanksgiving in Santa Fe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanksgiving in Santa Fe

Hello, I have never ridden in New Mexico. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like in Santa Fe at the end of November? Trail recommendations are recommended as well. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Every year can be quite different in Santa Fe. I have lived here for over 35 years and some years it can be beautiful and warm (high 60's) while others it is colder than you can imagine with loads of snow (low 20's in the day with 2-6 inches of snow in town).

Thanksgiving is generally the opening weekend for the local ski areas, so count on the high altitude stuff being either snow packed or just down right cold, albeit somewhat dry. Judging by the past few seasons, I think it will be somewhat colder and wetter this year (At least I hope this will be the case).

The stuff that is most reliable over Thanksgiving weekend are the Dale Ball trails (especially the north and central loops), La Tierra, Galisteo Basin Preserve, and possibly the lower Winsor, Chamisa, Sidewinder, the Juan, and/or the Discount trail. It just depends and what mother nature brings us. There is no way to know in advance.

If it is damp/snowy, always go out early, as the frozen ground is better than the muddy slop. Some of these trails hold up better in the wet than others. When you get into town, go by one of the bike shops and ask about the current conditions--try Broken Spoke, NM Bike-n-Sport, or Mellow Velo. All of them have great people working with them and they will steer you to the best options.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Every year can be quite different in Santa Fe. I have lived here for over 35 years and some years it can be beautiful and warm (high 60's) while others it is colder than you can imagine with loads of snow (low 20's in the day with 2-6 inches of snow in town).

Thanksgiving is generally the opening weekend for the local ski areas, so count on the high altitude stuff being either snow packed or just down right cold, albeit somewhat dry. Judging by the past few seasons, I think it will be somewhat colder and wetter this year (At least I hope this will be the case).

The stuff that is most reliable over Thanksgiving weekend are the Dale Ball trails (especially the north and central loops), La Tierra, Galisteo Basin Preserve, and possibly the lower Winsor, Chamisa, Sidewinder, the Juan, and/or the Discount trail. It just depends and what mother nature brings us. There is no way to know in advance.

If it is damp/snowy, always go out early, as the frozen ground is better than the muddy slop. Some of these trails hold up better in the wet than others. When you get into town, go by one of the bike shops and ask about the current conditions--try Broken Spoke, NM Bike-n-Sport, or Mellow Velo. All of them have great people working with them and they will steer you to the best options.

Have fun!
    Great information, thank you so much!