Taos Ski Valley's Proposed Downhill Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Taos Ski Valley's Proposed Downhill Trails

Nice to see some progression on this side of the range!

Taos Ski Valley's Proposed Downhill Trails-tsv-proposed-dh-trails.jpg

banned
    Feb 2018
    Meanwhile, in ABQ...

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Government meetings aren’t exactly a thrill ride.

But the Bernalillo County Commission voted in favor of one Tuesday, adopting a
    Sandia Peak Ski Co. has been talking to Wiegand Sports about development of a mountain coaster. This is a shot of one of the company's "alpine coasters" taken from its website. (Courtesy of Wiegand Sports)

Sandia Peak Ski Co. has been talking to Wiegand Sports about development of a mountain coaster. This is a shot of one of the company’s “alpine coasters” taken from its website. (Courtesy of Wiegand Sports)

package of tax breaks for a “mountain amusement ride” and new restaurant atop Sandia Peak.
    Anyone know what is going on with this? I thought I heard recently that it's officially a "GO."

banned
    Feb 2018
    PS: I guess Toas is seeing the writing on the walls with regard to less snow. Either that, or Texans have wat too much time and money. lol!

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    Nice to see some progression on this side of the range!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TSV Proposed DH Trails.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	263.3 KB 
ID:	1181698
    Thanks for the update! Do you know if they plan to abandon the Berminator? It was a great trail but may not make sense to run both lifts. I'm glad to see they figured out Chair 4 is where they really need most of the bike trails.

mtbr member
    Lift 1 is being replaced this Summer, what I've heard is it will be a detachable 4-pack and after it's built the Berminator will be cleaned up and reopened. Pending approval from the Carson National Forest the new Trail 1 and Trail 3 shown on the map will connect the Berminator and Kachina Peak side by Lift 4, and Trail 2 will provide access back to the base village above the Rubezahl return. This will create access to the bike park from both the base village and Bavarian.

I've been hiking around and riding the existing roads by Lift 4 for years, knowing what I know about this terrain I like the trail system proposal, looks like good flow between the two areas and minimal impact on watersheds and the health of localized ecosystems. According to the Carson NF projects site the already approved plan to build a trail from the top of Lift 1 down has been scrapped; https://www.fs.usda.gov/projects/car...ement/projects.

I'd encourage anyone to submit comments in favor of TSV's new proposal to the Carson NF, I feel it's in tune with proper use of this area and TSV's management is taking care to develop their Summer operations plan accordingly and with legitimate consideration to recent input from the community.

mtbr member
    I still have the Berminator KOM LOL. Stay away Neal.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_4319130.pdf

The Carson National Forest is accepting comments, most useful by June 19th. They are fast-tracking TSV, Inc.'s proposal via Categorical Exclusion under 36 CFR 220.6(e)(1) “Construction and reconstruction of trails.”

I'm not too stoked about this because attached is a proposal to reroute the Williams Lake Trail through the ski area's SUP boundary and right below El Funko which isn't directly a MTB issue, though doing so may unwillingly have a negative affect as it creates a general Public Land access issue if TSV tries to close that trail to conduct avalanche mitigation in El Funko or any other reason ~ that should be a separate proposal as it is directly related to the ski area and their billionaire owner developing a residential neighborhood south of Lift 4.

Anyways it looks like the bike park at TSV is going to happen soon, and the trails look pretty sweet! More intermediate level to accomodate a wider range of riders, not nearly as much technical, expert level trail as Pajarito or Angel Fire but we'll have another park to ride.

Is the bike OK?
    Wow, more lift-served XC trails than flow trails! I've always considered flow trails the really easy trails at bike parks but this doesn't look like a very good business plan if they want to sell lift tickets in the summer. They really need to make the XC trails flow trails and the flow trails technical downhill trails! They should just put a good XC trail between the base area and the Bavarian and get involved in a project to connect TSV to Red River and Lost Lake for the XC bikes.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely send them some comments! Anything added to what they've got (or had) is a big improvement regardless of what trails they put in.

mtbr member
    I was up there on SUN hiking w family up to Wheeler and it looked to me that the reroute via Williams Lake is already surveyed and marked...