Taos ski valley or ski santa fe bikeing?- Mtbr.com
    When in doubt, go faster

Taos ski valley or ski santa fe bikeing?

hey gang, i am wondering if taos ski valley or ski santa fe runs bike parks or even allows bikes on there chairlifts durring the summer.

thanks,
    dory

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    hey gang, i am wondering if taos ski valley or ski santa fe runs bike parks or even allows bikes on there chairlifts durring the summer.

thanks,
    dory

Taos..yes SF...no. Taos has the renowned World Cup DH Course. Or you don't have to travel as far and Pajarito Ski area has a FR Course that will be running a few more weekends before summers end

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Taos..yes SF...no. Taos has the renowned World Cup DH Course. Or you don't have to travel as far and Pajarito Ski area has a FR Course that will be running a few more weekends before summers end
    Taos, no! You are thinking of Angel Fire. Taos may be an awesome ski area, but I don't think they cater to the bikers much. They are so awesome as a ski area, that they don't need bikers to offset the lack of yearly attendance or real world class ski terrain......Hell, they don't even need snowboarders to make a profit!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Taos, no! You are thinking of Angel Fire. Taos may be an awesome ski area, but I don't think they cater to the bikers much. They are so awesome as a ski area, that they don't need bikers to offset the lack of yearly attendance or real world class ski terrain......Hell, they don't even need snowboarders to make a profit!
    Ooops...got them confused. I haven't been up that way in a while. I must be due for some lift-assisted DH runs

mtbr member
    The ones I know of in northern NM are Angel Fire, Pajarito (Los Alamos) and Red River (eh...that was 6 years ago or more when I last checked but they did back then). Could be others...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=

thanks,
    dory
    Since Ski Santa Fe is in/on NFS land, you are welcome to ride your bike up to the top via any number of routes, then down through their ski area... There's a 6 mile dirt road called Aspen Vista that goes right up to the very top of the ski area, starting about 1.5 miles down the road from the ski basin. There's a primitive trail IN the ski area proper, once the two-track peters out, that goes nearly to the top. Then there's a fun singletrack ascent along the fence that seprates non-wilderness NFS land from Wilderness NFS land on the other side / north side.

Otherwise, Pajarito and AF are the two main lift-served Northern NM venues. Angel Fire, as you'd likely know - is world class and hosts many events. It's about 40 minutes "up the road" from taos proper.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Since Ski Santa Fe is in/on NFS land, you are welcome to ride your bike up to the top via any number of routes, then down through their ski area... There's a 6 mile dirt road called Aspen Vista that goes right up to the very top of the ski area, starting about 1.5 miles down the road from the ski basin. There's a primitive trail IN the ski area proper, once the two-track peters out, that goes nearly to the top. Then there's a fun singletrack ascent along the fence that seprates non-wilderness NFS land from Wilderness NFS land on the other side / north side.

Otherwise, Pajarito and AF are the two main lift-served Northern NM venues. Angel Fire, as you'd likely know - is world class and hosts many events. It's about 40 minutes "up the road" from taos proper.
    You are getting old....I fully expected this to be a Free Taos rant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo

he's an upstanding MTB promoter now. so he can't let his checkered past tarnish his reputation.
    b

When in doubt, go faster
    thanks for all your responses!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Pffft. Lift tickets are for sissies - and like the biking, there's a TON of awesome, beautiful, off-piste, NON lift served pow around TSV - so eff the formal ski area and their lame policies.

I did get ROASTED on the nmcycling email list one time for razzing the TSV anti-family, er - anti-boarding policy - when TSV stepped up as a pretty big sponsor for the newly minted Frasier Mtn. Madness races and I huffed and puffed about boycotting the event due to TSV's involvement.

WHAM-O! A lot of sensitive road racer types (TSV is a big sponsor of the Taos road race(s) I guess) slammed me for my opinion, and how poorly I may have communicated it.... and as you all can tell, it really affected me .

I will say, as always - it is public land and having a policy of exclusion is illegal by most definitions, as the US Ski Assc. makes no legal differentiation between alpine snowboarding and alpine skiing... but again, 'whatever'.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    he's an upstanding MTB promoter now. so he can't let his checkered past tarnish his reputation.
    So true!

Uh - what's upstanding mean again? Is that a freestyle trick...?

Members who have read this thread: 0