Stay at Home Ordered in New Mexico, March 24, 2020 at 8am- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,041

    Stay at Home Ordered in New Mexico, March 24, 2020 at 8am

    ďDoes this order mean you cannot walk your dog? No. Does it mean you canít go for a jog? No. But you should not do those things in a group ó and you should be home as soon as possible. This social isolation strategy will only work if we all undertake it to the greatest extent we can. That boils down to one thing: Stay home.Ē Michelle Lujan Grisham, Governor of New Mexico

    Extrapolating from her Order, it is possible for riders to ride. This said, DO NOT RIDE IN GROUPS! Please don't stress the system by riding with multiple people.

    Stay safe, be well, take care, and mostly, just stay home.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    ďDoes this order mean you cannot walk your dog? No. Does it mean you canít go for a jog? No. But you should not do those things in a group ó and you should be home as soon as possible. This social isolation strategy will only work if we all undertake it to the greatest extent we can. That boils down to one thing: Stay home.Ē Michelle Lujan Grisham, Governor of New Mexico

    Extrapolating from her Order, it is possible for riders to ride. This said, DO NOT RIDE IN GROUPS! Please don't stress the system by riding with multiple people.

    Stay safe, be well, take care, and mostly, just stay home.
    Another area checked off the list of 'places to close".

    Good luck with the 'don't ride in groups' situation.
    You've probably read all the threads discussing over crowded trails now. It's sad, really.

    Hope you are staying safe and being smart.
    It is sinking in to more and more people, but still not to enough people.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPunchCholla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    724
    Before 10 days ago, I was riding trails 3 or 4 times a week. But once this hit New Mexico I decided not to ride trails for the time being. Iíve had to go to the emergency room twice in the last five years from riding my MTB. Both times doing a section of trail of ridden hundreds of times before. Iíve also cracked my ribs twice and bruised them twice. All four of those wrecks could have been a lot worse and needed medical assistance. For whatever reason, I just canít not push it on the trail. And I really donít want to be the guy that exposes first responders to the virus.

    So Iíve taken the pandemic as a way of telling me ďyou know those basic skills that you know will improve your riding a ton, but you never do? Well, here is your chance to spend an hour a day working on track stands, wheelies, bunny hops, manuals, nose turns. You know, everything you suck at.Ē

    Be careful out there!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Before 10 days ago, I was riding trails 3 or 4 times a week. But once this hit New Mexico I decided not to ride trails for the time being. Iíve had to go to the emergency room twice in the last five years from riding my MTB. Both times doing a section of trail of ridden hundreds of times before. Iíve also cracked my ribs twice and bruised them twice. All four of those wrecks could have been a lot worse and needed medical assistance. For whatever reason, I just canít not push it on the trail. And I really donít want to be the guy that exposes first responders to the virus.

    So Iíve taken the pandemic as a way of telling me ďyou know those basic skills that you know will improve your riding a ton, but you never do? Well, here is your chance to spend an hour a day working on track stands, wheelies, bunny hops, manuals, nose turns. You know, everything you suck at.Ē

    Be careful out there!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's funny you mentioned that, because I held back quite a bit on Sunday when I got to ride for that exact reason. I set a bunch of PRs anyway.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPunchCholla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    It's funny you mentioned that, because I held back quite a bit on Sunday when I got to ride for that exact reason. I set a bunch of PRs anyway.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    386
    As I was riding solo in the back country today I thought what Clint Eastwood said "A man has got to know his limitations."

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah, slow is just slow. Apparently it's perception that was slow as I finally cleared my head pushing the pedals. My personal bests are still only moderately above slow anyway, but once I'm not deathly afraid of ending up in the hospital, maybe I can turn it up to 11 again.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,041
    ^^^Remember one person's 11 might not be another person's.

    Its challenging to find places and times of the day to ride where passing encounters are limited. From last week to this week the hikers have thinned out and there aren't groups of 3+ anymore that I have seen. I have only seen one other cyclist on the trails as well. I am riding the more remote stuff which is rarely ridden or almost never hiked. All of it solo.

    Be safe, take care, and stay well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,041

    From the New Mexico Dept of Health!

    This is it. Read it. Understand it? Go solo.

    Stay at Home Ordered in New Mexico, March 24, 2020 at 8am-img_6299.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlienTrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    265
    Good thing we have our government! Otherwise who would give us permission to leave our homes and go outside to do anything???!

    BTW many aspects of every state's "stay at home", "shelter in place" or "____________" orders regarding restricting travelling upon any public highways to access public lands are not legally binding. The reason most contain a clause about "activities necessary for health" such as "walking, running, bike riding" etc. is because that fact is well known, and most of the states don't want to assume liability should they actually try to enforce a travel ban and hence are sued. Any individual county's orders such as San Juan and Chaffee in Colorado attempting to ban travel upon our roads are absolutely not legal, county governments simply do not have the authority to outright restrict travel upon public highways which access public lands to only persons who are residents of said county. While it is the intelligent thing to do to avoid contact as much as possible to avoid spreading any virus, that should be common sense given current circumstances, as well as not travelling far from one's own residence until this SARS-CoV-2 pandemic has calmed down in the USA, it's relevantly important that we realize how this situation is allowing specific levels of authorities to influence people to distrust eachother and even consider anyone and everyone to be a possible threat. Seems like that has been an intent of various governments throughout our civilization's history, and this situation has allowed that to happen now .

    With legitimate research and knowledge, my opinion is that it's best to not trust the government agencies that are trying to create new "rules" with blatant disregard for long established civil law. Don't believe most of the media and their interpretations which are meant to instill a specific agenda, and don't eat from a salad bar that anyone coughed on.

    Good read here from one of the few realistic and mostly unbiased news journals I've found;

    https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/26/c...rton-colorado/

  11. #11
    Don't Tread on Me
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    910
    I am so pleased to hear the party members in New Mexico will not resist their leadership.

    The estrogen treatments are really working.

    Everyone stay home and wear a dress while you are at it.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  12. #12
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    Womp womp
    Be safe. Be responsible.
    If people would act like adults government wouldnít need to treat us like children.

  13. #13
    Don't Tread on Me
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    910
    Please explain how riding a bike would be socially irresponsible.

    Even in States that have a stay at home directive "citizens" are encouraged to get some outdoor exercise.

    Explain your problem with that.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  14. #14
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    Riding a bike is not irresponsible.
    Iím still riding my bike - while observing appropriate social distance.

    Overcrowding the public resources and other irresponsible activity is the concern.
    See examples discussed above.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPunchCholla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Please explain how riding a bike would be socially irresponsible.

    Even in States that have a stay at home directive "citizens" are encouraged to get some outdoor exercise.

    Explain your problem with that.
    Who are you even arguing with? I think Iím the only one who said anything about not riding trails, and that was about a personal choice I made based on my personality characteristics. I never said what anyone else should do.

    And then you come along and apparently try to insult people by making misogynistic references. I mean I assume Iím supposed to be insulted by the implication I have high estrogen and wear a dress or why would you say that? But seeing as I think women are awesome and ride with plenty that kick ass, I just feel sad for you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

  16. #16
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Who are you even arguing with? I think Iím the only one who said anything about not riding trails, and that was about a personal choice I made based on my personality characteristics. I never said what anyone else should do.

    And then you come along and apparently try to insult people by making misogynistic references. I mean I assume Iím supposed to be insulted by the implication I have high estrogen and wear a dress or why would you say that? But seeing as I think women are awesome and ride with plenty that kick ass, I just feel sad for you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's just pissy cause he lives in Nevada...and he's a mysoginist.
    2020 SC CC Hightower

Similar Threads

  1. Is your local bike shop open amid the stay at home order?
    By TheBikeStore in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-22-2020, 06:45 PM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-24-2020, 07:53 PM
  3. Join Evergreen Trail School Saturday March 14th at 8am!
    By EvergreenBryan in forum Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM
  4. Demo 10K 2011, March 19, 8am
    By jeng in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Members who have read this thread: 83

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.