south boundary, Oct 8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

south boundary, Oct 8

going to be in town and was wondering if anyone would want to shuttle and ride that Saturday morning?
    I'll be taking the climbs easy as I'm coming from sea level, but I'm in shape to ride the whole thing

could also take the turquoise tours shuttle, but would like to save fifty bucks if possible

chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you can get a local to haul you up that miserable road for less, you'll be lucky. Last year the bike shop charged $150 for that trip, fyi.

mtbr member
    Hey Chris, the forest roads that access the SBT are far from "miserable", they're typical forest roads, rough in a few places but they are maintained by the Forest Service. On a Saturday you may be able to hitch a ride with someone from the trailhead, lots of people are riding now when the colors are just passing the Autumn peak. Hope you get up there and have a blast! Alternatively unless you're set on riding the SBT the East Fork and Lost Lake trails in Red River are just as fun, don't require a shuttle and travel through a more scenic alpine environment, well worth the drive around the circle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You're right, AlienTrees, FR 437 to Garcia Park is an average dirt road that's well maintained. Almost any car could make it up. But I think Chris is referencing FR 76 to the trailhead, and I venture to say that a sedan couldn't make. It's a perpetual rock garden and with all the new drainage ditches across the road, only high clearance vehicles can make it up, not to mentioned the incredibly rocky uphill section. The Forest Service tried to grate that road this spring, but it's still...well, miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    Hey Chris, the forest roads that access the SBT are far from "miserable", they're typical forest roads, rough in a few places but they are maintained by the Forest Service. On a Saturday you may be able to hitch a ride with someone from the trailhead, lots of people are riding now when the colors are just passing the Autumn peak. Hope you get up there and have a blast! Alternatively unless you're set on riding the SBT the East Fork and Lost Lake trails in Red River are just as fun, don't require a shuttle and travel through a more scenic alpine environment, well worth the drive around the circle.

mtbr member
    WAY less mileage (and aspens) on the Lost Lake ride, a fantastic ride though albeit less tech. If you are wanting to do a self shuttle from Nogal parking area to Valle Escondido (covered wagon) I might be down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hey thanks everyone. I signed up with turquoise tours for shuttle service, said it's about an hour and a half drive from west trailhead to the one by Angel Fire. I think a 24 mile ride at elevation will wipe me out enough to not want to drive back and forth to grab the shuttle car, but I'm game to bike the trail with anyone else who might be there. shuttle picking me up at 8 at el nogal and said I should be pedaling by 10am on Sat. heard it'll be cold in the morning too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alysidn View Post
    You're right, AlienTrees, FR 437 to Garcia Park is an average dirt road that's well maintained. Almost any car could make it up. But I think Chris is referencing FR 76 to the trailhead, and I venture to say that a sedan couldn't make. It's a perpetual rock garden and with all the new drainage ditches across the road, only high clearance vehicles can make it up, not to mentioned the incredibly rocky uphill section. The Forest Service tried to grate that road this spring, but it's still...well, miserable.
    That's awesome! Nice to know you feel that our public lands on which you operate your for-profit business using someone else's permit are miserable! Hey have you ridden the South Boundary trail recently? Any useful info about current conditions along the ride?

mtbr member
    Conditions as of Sunday were absolutely brilliant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    perfect weather today and perfect trail conditions. I was definitely gassed on the first climb, walked a little, rested a lot, then bombed it down. it's 645 now and I'm ready for bed

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    That's awesome! Nice to know you feel that our public lands on which you operate your for-profit business using someone else's permit are miserable! Hey have you ridden the South Boundary trail recently? Any useful info about current conditions along the ride?
    What is the deal with the attitude? You are snide to the folks who were offering shuttles that maybe didn't have all their ducks in a row, and you are snide to the one that does. Who cares what their business relationship is as long as their permit to do business is legit. And why is it not OK to express frustration at a difficult to use road? The MTB community would benefit if it was a easier to use road.

Wish I could make it up and take advantage this season but not looking to be able to break away because of school.