Shuttling at Glorieta after June 3rd?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shuttling at Glorieta after June 3rd?

Anyone privy to the access changes? A friend and I would like to stop in Glorieta for a day in late June, probably the 22nd... now that the trails will be accessible all summer, will there be a way to shuttle the likes of Jagged Axe and Chilli Dog, or will they be pedal access only? I know, "earn your turns", but while traveling, I would rather make the most of our time, which will mean the difference between 1 run/trail (for a low-lander like me), or multiple runs/trails.
    'T'is only a flesh wound...
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
    Anyone privy to the access changes? A friend and I would like to stop in Glorieta for a day in late June, probably the 22nd... now that the trails will be accessible all summer, will there be a way to shuttle the likes of Jagged Axe and Chilli Dog, or will they be pedal access only? I know, "earn your turns", but while traveling, I would rather make the most of our time, which will mean the difference between 1 run/trail (for a low-lander like me), or multiple runs/trails.
    There isn't any way to shuttle/drop any of the trails at Camp. Sorry. You will have to "earn your turns," as there isn't a developed road which allows shuttle vehicles up on those ridge lines.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    There isn't any way to shuttle/drop any of the trails at Camp. Sorry. You will have to "earn your turns," as there isn't a developed road which allows shuttle vehicles up on those ridge lines.
    No? Was there a recent status change or closure? I thought the trails were the recent issue with the gummint, not the roads. I was over there last fall and my stock '92 Cherokee had no trouble on the (admittedly rough) road up to the start of Jagged Axe.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    No? Was there a recent status change or closure? I thought the trails were the recent issue with the gummint, not the roads. I was over there last fall and my stock '92 Cherokee had no trouble on the (admittedly rough) road up to the start of Jagged Axe.
    I believe the roads are all "closed." When GC went through its recent regulatory process the County requested special permitting for road usage to prevent unintended consequences. The roads are supposed to be improved (correct grade, width, bar ditches, and culverts) as part of this agreement. The County wants improved access for emergency service to these areas but doesn't want them used otherwise. I am sure one day fairly soon GC will begin the expensive project to improve the roads and a gate will magically appear at the bottom.

In the meantime, ride your bike up there. It isn't very far or very difficult and when you get up to the top you will be warmed up for a fast ripper down! Woohoo!!

mtbr member
    Okay, in that light, if you could only pick one run to ride twice, which one would you choose? I usually use the first one to study and session lines, then the 2nd one to ride non stop; there probably won't be time (or energy) for anything else...

Out of curiosity, what about using Baldy Road/375? Is Secret Trail or Broken Arrow worth consideration?
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/702...baldy-road-375
    Looks to me like we could shuttle up that (maybe even camp 1/2 way up), descend one of those, then at the end, pedal up for CD or JA for 2 short runs? Seems that would make for a good full day...
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Okay, in that light, if you could only pick one run to ride twice, which one would you choose? I usually use the first one to study and session lines, then the 2nd one to ride non stop; there probably won't be time (or energy) for anything else...

Out of curiosity, what about using Baldy Road/375? Is Secret Trail or Broken Arrow worth consideration?
    Looks to me like we could shuttle up that (maybe even camp 1/2 way up), descend one of those, then at the end, pedal up for CD or JA for 2 short runs? Seems that would make for a good full day...
    The only problem with that idea is the Santa Fe National Forest, which surrounds GC, will most likely be in full closure at the end of June. We are in desperate need of moisture and unless we get significant moisture and soon, all of the forests in NM will likely be closed and soon.

The pedal up to Holy Mole or Jagged Axe are not that difficult. You can do it. What is known as the Back 30 has a good flow trail on it too. Just drink plenty of water.

mtbr member
    Most fun = Holy Mole
    Most Challenging = Jagged Axe

Depends on what you are looking for.
    Coming from Austin the elevation will take some time to get used to. Yea the climbs "aren't bad" but you're starting at ~7500ft and gain 800ft in less than two miles.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Personally I thought Secret Trail kinda sucked. That's including the level of difficulty in climbing to get there.

Holy Mole is a ton of fun, but it's a flow trail and not singletrack.

Unless you just absolutely need to get a good strava time, i'd say do Chili Dog & Jagged Axe once each (or substitute in Holy Mole if you want to do the flow trail). You'll want to stop and check out a few of the obstacles on each before you hit them, but it's not going to put a damper on the fun.

mtbr member

That route takes FOREVER. It's really far out of the way. Just a heads up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Most fun = Holy Mole
    Most Challenging = Jagged Axe

Depends on what you are looking for.
    Coming from Austin the elevation will take some time to get used to. Yea the climbs "aren't bad" but you're starting at ~7500ft and gain 800ft in less than two miles.
    Yea, that's my biggest concern, combined with the fact that I'm dealing with healing tendonitis right now and have to be conservative with my riding leading up to the trip, so I'll be pretty out of shape too.

I've been watching the NF websites for restrictions, closures, etc., and right now Santa Fe NF is only in stage 1. Of course that doesn't mean it can't change to full closure in the next month and a 1/2, but I think the odds are good that it won't get past stage 2 by then (I used to live in AZ and am used to following such things).

Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Personally I thought Secret Trail kinda sucked. That's including the level of difficulty in climbing to get there.

Holy Mole is a ton of fun, but it's a flow trail and not singletrack.

Unless you just absolutely need to get a good strava time, i'd say do Chili Dog & Jagged Axe once each (or substitute in Holy Mole if you want to do the flow trail). You'll want to stop and check out a few of the obstacles on each before you hit them, but it's not going to put a damper on the fun.
    Good to know. I'm not a big flow trail fan; I'm old school and live for rocks, big boulders and general chunky single track, so I'll skip Holy Mole. Chili Dog and Jagged Axe were my main targets anyway. Couldn't find much regarding Secret, but the length looked appealing.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been watching the NF websites for restrictions, closures, etc., and right now Santa Fe NF is only in stage 1. Of course that doesn't mean it can't change to full closure in the next month and a 1/2, but I think the odds are good that it won't get past stage 2 by then (I used to live in AZ and am used to following such things).
    We will enter Stage 2 restrictions this week coming for sure. I spoke with several FS employees and they all said the same independently from one another. Stage 3 (closure, partial or total) is all but certain to happen before Memorial weekend unless we get significant moisture. Sorry to tell you, but this is the situation. We are in the worst drought in 50 years and one of the worst in over 100.

***on a good note, it did snow decently up high today!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Santa Fe National Forest announces Stage 2 restrictions.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santa...d=FSEPRD579029

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5374641.pdf

Good news is that all of trails at GC are on private land and won't be affected by USFS restrictions (all but the climb up to Glorieta Baldy via Ghost Town). AND! As it turns out, Pajarito (Los Alamos) is also on private land and is also unaffected by any USFS restriction. So there will be good riding in NM this summer, even if our favorite stuff is closed.

mtbr member
    Only problem is that if they go full closure, we won't have a place to camp nearby... may have to head to Angel Fire/Carson instead; they are going to stage 1 starting the 7th. Was just hoping to do something new, but I could use a South Boundary/El Nogal fix...

Pajarito is another place I've heard about that has piqued my curiosity, but most of what I've seen shows only jumpy-bermy flow stuff and man-made freeride features... I'm fine with a little of that mixed-in, but do they have any technical natural runs too? Only other problem there is that they only seem to be open weekends.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Only problem is that if they go full closure, we won't have a place to camp nearby... may have to head to Angel Fire/Carson instead; they are going to stage 1 starting the 7th. Was just hoping to do something new, but I could use a South Boundary/El Nogal fix...

Pajarito is another place I've heard about that has piqued my curiosity, but most of what I've seen shows only jumpy-bermy flow stuff and man-made freeride features... I'm fine with a little of that mixed-in, but do they have any technical natural runs too? Only other problem there is that they only seem to be open weekends.
    If you prefer rocky, loose, and rowdy trails, Pajarito is right up your alley. The berms and flow type building is at AF, Pajarito is pretty damn raw with some freeride features built in. Overall, I'd say it's the best place in NM to destroy your wheels. The trails in and around Los Alamos are fun as well, so doing a trip up there and hitting up Qaumazon trail, you'll find all the natural rock you'd ever want.

While I understand the want of a longer run, Chili Dog and Jagged Axe are well worth it. I'd ride Jagged Axe over Secret Trail and Broken Arrow any day of the week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pajarito is almost all what I would call technical/natural. I don't think there are any trails that I would currently call "flowy", and berms are all hand-made (minimal). And steep! Did I mention steep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSL-j_S1Ec

That said, Paj and Glorietta are pretty different. There are parts of Paj where I would really want a DH bike, but Glorietta is more geared for enduro bikes.

If you come to LA on a week day, you might see about finding a shuttle up to the ski hill parking lot. From there you can do this route: https://www.strava.com/activities/1071356746

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    If you prefer rocky, loose, and rowdy trails, Pajarito is right up your alley. The berms and flow type building is at AF, Pajarito is pretty damn raw with some freeride features built in. Overall, I'd say it's the best place in NM to destroy your wheels. The trails in and around Los Alamos are fun as well, so doing a trip up there and hitting up Qaumazon trail, you'll find all the natural rock you'd ever want.

While I understand the want of a longer run, Chili Dog and Jagged Axe are well worth it. I'd ride Jagged Axe over Secret Trail and Broken Arrow any day of the week.
    Nice, that's what I like to hear. I did notice that Pajarito appears a bit primitive; unpolished and rough around the edges, which actually really appeals to me, but it seems like people still only post videos of jumps and drops... maybe I need to change that. Still, the problem of setting up camp nearby persists if there's a closure. It also appears Quemazon is in the SFNF, so that may not be an option.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Pajarito is almost all what I would call technical/natural. I don't think there are any trails that I would currently call "flowy", and berms are all hand-made (minimal). And steep! Did I mention steep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSL-j_S1Ec

That said, Paj and Glorietta are pretty different. There are parts of Paj where I would really want a DH bike, but Glorietta is more geared for enduro bikes.

If you come to LA on a week day, you might see about finding a shuttle up to the ski hill parking lot. From there you can do this route: https://www.strava.com/activities/1071356746
    Yea, Glorieta and Winsor are still my priority if SFNF is still in stage 2, so considering Paj really doesn't help anything if closure happens; in that case, the route in your strava would be out too. If they go to closure, then I'll just have to head to Carson NF, or maybe Durango.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    If you're interested in proper chunky riding, Rio en Medio is better than the Winsor by a long mile, but arrangements have to be made since it's a more difficult shuttle, etc. That, and easy to get lost. Often best to find a local or really practice your Trailforks navigation.

mtbr member
    If you're interested in proper chunky riding, Rio en Medio is better than the Winsor by a long mile, but arrangements have to be made since it's a more difficult shuttle, etc. That, and easy to get lost. Often best to find a local or really practice your Trailforks navigation.
    Found it on MTBproject.com; man, that sounds like a blast... however, a recent update on the conditions shows trees down and in bad condition...
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/702...o-en-medio-163
    don't know if they were able to clear it before chainsaws are prohibited for stage 2...

Looking at maps though, shuttling and navigation appears straight forward; is there something I'm missing?
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Will Taos and ABQ be closed if SFNF closes? We're actually staying in SF third week of June and had a lot of riding planned. Mostly glorieta,SF mountains, AF, and south boundry. But if there are closures I'd like to just replace our day on the SF mountains with ABQ.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Will Taos and ABQ be closed if SFNF closes? We're actually staying in SF third week of June and had a lot of riding planned. Mostly glorieta,SF mountains, AF, and south boundry. But if there are closures I'd like to just replace our day on the SF mountains with ABQ.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    South Boundary is Carson NF; they are just now going into stage 1 next week, so I'd imagine SBT will be pretty safe.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Found it on MTBproject.com; man, that sounds like a blast... however, a recent update on the conditions shows trees down and in bad condition...
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/702...o-en-medio-163
    don't know if they were able to clear it before chainsaws are prohibited for stage 2...

Looking at maps though, shuttling and navigation appears straight forward; is there something I'm missing?
    The route is not obvious from ground level, hence checking your map frequently, at least until the second half, is a necissity. There's a hard left over the cree that if you miss, messes up the whole day.

That being said, it was cleared by some dedicated crews in the last few days and is all good.

mtbr member
    The route is not obvious from ground level, hence checking your map frequently, at least until the second half, is a necissity. There's a hard left over the cree that if you miss, messes up the whole day.

That being said, it was cleared by some dedicated crews in the last few days and is all good.
    Would you believe that you actually just made it even more appealing? lol. I have a good sense of direction and actually enjoy navigational challenges... I don't get lost, just occasionally "temporarily misplaced".
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Well, now that it doesn't look like I'll be camping in the forest for this trip, does anyone have any ideas on safe places to park my van for overnights within a reasonable distance from Glorieta?

Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well, now that it doesn't look like I'll be camping in the forest for this trip, does anyone have any ideas on safe places to park my van for overnights within a reasonable distance from Glorieta?

Not entirely sure who manages the land south of Glorieta, but I'd guess that down 285 is BLM land. Also looks like there's a KOA on I-25 towards Santa Fe if you're desperate... Always Wal-Mart in town too.

mtbr member
    Think I'll get hassled if I just park overnight in the parking lot?

Some videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Think I'll get hassled if I just park overnight in the parking lot?

Not sure. Definitely wouldn't be my first choice.

Perpetually Intermediate
    There is BLM land down around Galisteo that you could quietly car camp in. See image below...that yellow/tan stuff is BLM land, and it looks like there is a chunk of it just south of Glorieta bordering the SF National Forest. Check out this website for a better view: PublicLands.org | New Mexico

Shuttling at Glorieta after June 3rd?-screen-shot-2018-06-02-10.11.26-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck80442 View Post
    There is BLM land down around Galisteo that you could quietly car camp in. See image below...that yellow/tan stuff is BLM land, and it looks like there is a chunk of it just south of Glorieta bordering the SF National Forest. Check out this website for a better view: PublicLands.org | New Mexico

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 10.11.26 PM.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1201852
    Looks promising, thanks.

Some videos

mtbr member
    I should have asked this earlier, but where exactly is this new parking area? Off of 50? Is it obvious?

Some videos