Sante Fe and ABQ 10/17-10/21. Everything good?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Sante Fe and ABQ 10/17-10/21. Everything good?

NM rocks and we are heading back for a long weekend. Weather looks good, so just want to double check that trails are in good shape to ride and if there are closures or anything else we need to be aware of?

Can't wait for Glorieta.

Thanks

mtbr member
    It’s currently snowing in Santa Fe and super cold in ABQ with rain and strong winds. The higher elevation trails probably won’t be as good or ready to shred as your expecting. Everything else should be decent just may be cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Weird, Accuweather is showing some rain and snow right now/today and then maybe some later this week, but Weather Underground shows just a slight chance of rain tomorrow.

Cold is fine. Keeps me from sweating and if I need to warm up I will just have some Horseman's Haven green chile.

Thanks for the reply

Rocks belong
    Winsor trail (uphill from Santa Fe) this AM, according to a NM MTB Facebook group
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sante Fe and ABQ 10/17-10/21. Everything good?-44176807_10156318951878124_1706996492226527232_n.jpg  

I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Damn, isn't Winsor pretty low elevation?

Is it worth coming down? Defintely want to hit Glorieta again, and was hoping to ride winsor.

Is most stuff going to be wet or snowy?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Damn, isn't Winsor pretty low elevation?

Is it worth coming down? Defintely want to hit Glorieta again, and was hoping to ride winsor.

Is most stuff going to be wet or snowy?
    Winsor goes from ~6900ft to just under 10,300ft. Only ridden it a couple of times, so can’t quite place where that sign is, but that 3k of elevation change leaves quite a bit of variability.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Albuquerque will be fine, it's going to be mid 60s this weekend no rain or snow as of now, make sure you hit placitas and tijeras

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Matt,

now looks like ABQ will possibly get some rain today and tomorrow. Will that be enough to ruin the trails or will they dry out?

We did tijeras last time, but could go back and explore some more for sure. Placitas looks cool.

mtbr member
    That photo is from Norski, about 10,500'. Id imagine that they got more snow last night. Glorieta is quite white as well from the photos my friend posted yesterday.

I'd hit up some Dale Ball South/Central today, Chamisa/sidewinder/lower winsor/jawbone the next and wait and see if the higher up stuff opens some more.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Winsor trail (uphill from Santa Fe) this AM, according to a NM MTB Facebook group
    I asked on FB and the guy responded that this pic was taken at the beginning of the trail
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Matt,

now looks like ABQ will possibly get some rain today and tomorrow. Will that be enough to ruin the trails or will they dry out?

We did tijeras last time, but could go back and explore some more for sure. Placitas looks cool.
    No you're good, everything soaks up pretty quick, placitas and the foothills are generally unaffected by rain. I rode the foothills Sunday in the rain and it was fine. And tijeras dries pretty quick. Just don't go up there right after it rains or you will hate your life. If you use mtbproject there is a good loop for placitas called the figure eight mile olio, that's a really nice ride with some awesome downhill and the climbs aren't bad.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sweet, sounds good! Yeah I looked at that 8 Mile trail, looks cool.
    Bummer about Gloreita, but even if stuff gets bad we can head to Meow Wolf and eat ourselves into a coma with some sopas and green chili.

Thanks for all the feedback

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You still have options in sf too, Dale ball, la tierra, and galisteo basin. Plenty of good riding to had.

mtbr member
    NM rocks and we are heading back for a long weekend. Weather looks good, so just want to double check that trails are in good shape to ride and if there are closures or anything else we need to be aware of?

Can't wait for Glorieta.

Thanks
    Weather is looking good for the weekend up here in Santa Fe. Trails from the ski area parking lot on down should be in sick shape. Which means all of the bike-able Winsor and REM as well. I assume Alamos Vista might be snowy. Enjoy, and bring extra TP and underwear if you are hitting Horseman's. ; )

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was thinking the same thing, Lance. Why fret over weather conditions in SF if you've only done the mtns E of ABQ once, and they are rideable?

Btw, are they rideable right now?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat U. Lance View Post
    Indeed, Garson, the trails were rideable today. Maybe just a few kittens shy of a litter,...but you know what that means for the weekend?

Shredtastic!

Attachment 1221212

Attachment 1221213
    What trail is that in the second picture?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback. People in NM just seem to be a friendly bunch. Ate great food although most of the higher rated/priced places seemed to be the worst ones, even when the local guy eating there tells me it is the best in all of SF (bold face lie IMO).

Rode Dale Ball, although we did a brutal section and probably would have preferred the section by Hyde Park better is my guess, Winsor (Bear Hollow was great), Placitias (ok), Tijeras (love Birdhouse climb and Otero was better than I remember it), and left on Glorieta (so damn good)

Thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Gonna jump on here real quick, rolling into town tonight and hoping to get a ride in tomorrow before heading on to AZ. We’re looking at the Otero Canyon area, but not sure what to make of the comment above about ‘drying quickly but hating life right after it rains’
    How might that apply to the rain we’re getting tonight? Looks like it’s suppsoed to rain through until early tomorrow...?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Unless there's brilliant sunshine all night long, you'll be hating life if you try to ride out there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Unless there's brilliant sunshine all night long, you'll be hating life if you try to ride out there tomorrow.
    Haha, understood, thanks for the quick response!