Santa Fe riding for a month- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Santa Fe riding for a month

Hey, everyone, we are looking at 2019 trip to get the hell out of the Texas blast furnace. I am pulling for Breckenridge, wife wants Santa Fe. In Santa Fe we would be right downtown by the Santa Fe plaza for about a month. Since we will only have one car, it looks like I might be more bike challenged as the closest trails look to be ~3-5 miles (each way) from that area.

If I was staying in that area for a month, realistically, how easy would it be to ride most days? I ride 6-7 days a week in Austin, but I have access to a car. In a shared world I would only have access probably every other day.

Are there any trails in town or in close proximity? Looks like La Tierra and Dale Ball are the closets trails. Any thoughts on how much riding I can get in with limited access to a vehicle.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Hey, everyone, we are looking at 2019 trip to get the hell out of the Texas blast furnace. I am pulling for Breckenridge, wife wants Santa Fe. In Santa Fe we would be right downtown by the Santa Fe plaza for about a month. Since we will only have one car, it looks like I might be more bike challenged as the closest trails look to be ~3-5 miles (each way) from that area.

If I was staying in that area for a month, realistically, how easy would it be to ride most days? I ride 6-7 days a week in Austin, but I have access to a car. In a shared world I would only have access probably every other day.

Are there any trails in town or in close proximity? Looks like La Tierra and Dale Ball are the closets trails. Any thoughts on how much riding I can get in with limited access to a vehicle.
    You will have plenty of riding from downtown to access. La T stuff is not so interesting. Dale Ball winds up being a sort of connector to the high mountains and Atalaya. To themselves, DB is fun, but way more interesting if you are using them to get up high. Atalaya has several excellent ways up it. Its technical and challenging. Up high, there are loads of trails. You can take the "blue bus" from downtown to get up high too ($5 cost). Glorieta is about 20 miles southeast of town and there is some really good stuff out there. Taos is 65 miles away. There you will find the South Boundary--A NM classic. I live in downtown SF and almost never use my car to ride. I can ride from my house over 1-2 miles of asphalt to get to single track. If you are staying in SF for a month, you will have a good adventure. Breck is good too, but not as interesting as a community.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK, that is really good to know. We are angling more towards Santa Fe now over Breck based on cost/facilities.

I had not even thought about bus because I can usually cover as much ground on my bike as the typical bus, but if they have a route going up into the mountains that could be a real winner for extending my riding.

We have one place that is a 5 minute walk to the plaza and one that is a 10 minute drive from the southeast. Plaza location seems to be the best for all around vacation logistics, but if you were to pick a location for best proximity to riding options (outside of the plaza), which direction would you head?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    OK, that is really good to know. We are angling more towards Santa Fe now over Breck based on cost/facilities.

I had not even thought about bus because I can usually cover as much ground on my bike as the typical bus, but if they have a route going up into the mountains that could be a real winner for extending my riding.

We have one place that is a 5 minute walk to the plaza and one that is a 10 minute drive from the southeast. Plaza location seems to be the best for all around vacation logistics, but if you were to pick a location for best proximity to riding options (outside of the plaza), which direction would you head?
    East side or north east side of town would be better from a riding stand point. That said, it is the most expensive part of town too.

The blue bus option is interesting. I ride it 2-3 times a year. Most of the time, when I am going big (30+ miles and over 5,000 vert) I just ride from my house. (As I said before, I am about 1-2 miles from DB central or DB south depending on which entry point is chosen.) If you take the blue bus up to the ski basin, you can ride up the ski area to Alamo Vista (aka, Tessa's) and back up to the Winsor at the NorSki and down or over to REM and across to the Mineral or all the way down REM and over to Double Discount to Discount to Jawbone or Lost Wrangler. There is a new trail which connects Pacheco to Jawbone. There is a ton of riding and it can be mixed and matched in all sorts of ways. The other good thing about the bus is going all the way to the top of Raven Ridge. There are just so many good rides, with or without the bus.

That all said, you are not from altitude and it will hurt up here. The base elevation is 7,000 and top of the mountains is over 12,000. You live basically at sea level. It will take you a little bit of time to acclimate. But when you get home, your normal riding buddies are going to be blown away by how strong you will seem in comparison (if you are fit to begin with! Haha!)

Same deal for Breck, except the base elevation is about 8,000 and some of the hills up there are almost 13K. They also have really, really good stuff up there. The soil is a bit more compacted overall in Colorado. We have a bit more loose over hard (read: loose rock/gravel-like surfaces). But again, the towns are very different. Pick the place based on the town. In either case, the riding will be amazing!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    We are now heading towards the idea of 2 weeks in each place instead of trying to decide between the two. As to the surface conditions, yeah, we have plenty of rocky, loose surfaces here. I've done a lot of riding in places like Korea and Colorado so I have dealt with altitude and riding - not fun, but I'd rather be on a bike than on a couch.

Looking forward to riding some of your trails next summer.