Santa Fe riders... one bike: ti hardtail or 6" full suspension?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Santa Fe riders... one bike: ti hardtail or 6" full suspension?

Okay, I need some advice from you Santa Fe riders out there...

I will be spending the entirety of April riding in Santa Fe, and I can only bring one of my two mountain bikes...

Do I bring my Vassago ti hardtail with 120mm fork, or do I bring my Mojo HD4 with 6 inches of travel?

Thanks ahead of time for any words of wisdom...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If you're looking to spend long days at La Tierra or Dale Ball, hardtail. If you're wanting to hit the jump lines at La Tierra, ride at Glorieta, or Windsor (which will probably be at least somewhat rideable, given our snowpack), I'd bring the mojo. I ride a Bronson 100% of the time, but I don't really care about the ups that much.

mtbr member
    Does the Vassago have a dropper?

Realistically, most riding around here is XC/trail and is a blast on a good hardtail (that's what I run most the time), but between the upper mountain and Glorieta trails, you can easily use the 6" of travel as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd definitely bring the Mojo. It will be boring at La Tierra and a little overkill on Dale Ball, but eventually you're going to want to ride Winsor, REM, Glorietta, etc, and that will definitely be more fun on a Mojo.

banned
    Feb 2018
    You will easily get bored with Santa Fe if you are sticking to the lower elevated trails on your Mojo. Bring the HT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Atalaya Mountain is super fun on a FS rig like the Mojo. Lower sections of the higher terrain might be GTG in April, if we keep having the lousy winter we are having, which I certainly hope we don't! (In fact, I hope it dumps tons of snow while you are here, making riding bikes not so good. We desperately NEED the moisture!) What do I mean by lower sections? Saddleback, Borrego-Bear Wallow loop, lower Winsor down from Big Tesuque, Discount, Double Discount, Lower REM...+ some other stuff like Dale Ball South, Secret Agent, and the such. All of these are good on either bike. Lower REM, Double Discount, Discount, Jawbone, Secret Agent, and South DB are all perfect for the Mojo. If you are just spinning mostly DB central/north or La T, go for the HT. Plenty of folks ride HT here in the most technical of stuff. Do what feels right and don't let other people tell you what works for you. Have fun! See you out on the trails! (Unless we get snow!!!)

Stucco Bucket
    bring your big bike

mtbr member
    Based on the split responses, I think we need to know what type of riding the OP likes, eh?

banned
    Feb 2018
    XC and road according to a quick search on the profile.

Sorry for being nosy, but I like to be right.

mtbr member
    Klainmeister... Ha, wish I could help by saying that I preferred one type of riding over another, but I can't. I love it all. No help at all though, I realize. Guess if I had a gun to my head, I'd be on a trail that warrants the big bike.
    Bammit... Not nosy at all, thorough! And you reminded me that I needed to update that old profile.

mtbr member
    Based on our lack of snow, most of our fun, technical trails should be rideable in April, although temperatures can be a anything from warm and sunny to freezing up high. Bring the Ibis, keep your options open, and if you're stuck on XC trails overgunned, so be it.

banned
    Feb 2018
    Makachut (RIP) would disagree.

All hail The Chut!

banned
    Feb 2018
    Makachut (1%'er) aside, the culture of SF is one of XC and road, exceptions being the upper mountain. It looks like your area tops out at about 2k', so acclimation may be an issue and thus the added weight won't help. If you want to experience a more aggressive "atmosphere," at lower elevations, Abq has the goods.

Stucco Bucket
    someone ban this asshole again

Stucco Bucket
    better to have too much bike, than not enough. like clothes. you can still have fun in sf on the low stuff on a big bike, but if you get to do rem or other trails, youll be glad.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Think about it this way: would you rather bring a knife to a gun fight, or a gun to a knife fight?

RCC
    Bandolero
    My vote goes for the bigger bike!
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

saddlemeat
    I would bring the hardtail and smirk as I rode by these little pink boys on their crutch bikes. You might have different mileage over the course of the entire month, and you could travel about a bit too. The actual weather could change things closer to the time.
    I ride with the best dogs.