mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Santa Fe National Forest Closure Friday 06/01/2018

How long till Cibola is next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
    How long till Cibola is next.
    Seems like that would already be under closure. Super hot and dry down there. Yikes! I bet Carson follows soon too. That means South Boundary this weekend or risk not getting it for a while.

mtbr member
    Damn that sucks ass. We were going to Santa Fe June 22nd. So does that mean winsor and all the stuff outside Santa Fe is closed? What about glorieta, angel fire or SBT

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Damn that sucks ass. We were going to Santa Fe June 22nd. So does that mean winsor and all the stuff outside Santa Fe is closed? What about glorieta, angel fire or SBT

That means all of the Santa Fe National Forest will be closed, at 8am Friday, June 1st until the forest receives significant moisture to abate the acute fire hazard we now face. This includes all of the high mountains stuff, like Winsor, Chamisa, Borrego, Rio en Medio (REM), Aspen Vista, Saddleback, Discount, Double Discount, Jawbone, Lost Wrangler, Mineral Trail, etc, etc, etc...

Amazingly, Glorieta Camps are on private land and not subject to SFNF restrictions. However, I can't tell you if they will choose to limit access. Also of note, Pajarito Mountain (Los Alamos) is also on private property, but entirely surrounded by SFNF, as are Glorieta Camps. But, again, I can't tell you if they will also limit access.

Angel Fire and the South Boundary Trail are both located in the Carson National Forest. It would seem very likely that they will also follow SFNF closure at some point in the near future, as they face the same conditions we have.

In a normal year, the monsoon season begins in late June or early July. NOAA Climate Prediction Center says we are entering a minor El Nino pattern and that we have better than equal chances for a descent monsoon season this summer. Pray for rain!

In the meantime, we can ride the Dale Ball system, Galisteo Basin Preserve, Glorieta Camps (unless they restrict access) and Pajarito Mountain (unless they restrict access). There is a chance that since the Carson NF didn't go into Stage 2 restrictions (no open fires) until just last week, they might still be open by the end of June. Pray for rain!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    That means all of the Santa Fe National Forest will be closed, at 8am Friday, June 1st until the forest receives significant moisture to abate the acute fire hazard we now face. This includes all of the high mountains stuff, like Winsor, Chamisa, Borrego, Rio en Medio (REM), Aspen Vista, Saddleback, Discount, Double Discount, Jawbone, Lost Wrangler, Mineral Trail, etc, etc, etc...

Amazingly, Glorieta Camps are on private land and not subject to SFNF restrictions. However, I can't tell you if they will choose to limit access. Also of note, Pajarito Mountain (Los Alamos) is also on private property, but entirely surrounded by SFNF, as are Glorieta Camps. But, again, I can't tell you if they will also limit access.

Angel Fire and the South Boundary Trail are both located in the Carson National Forest. It would seem very likely that they will also follow SFNF closure at some point in the near future, as they face the same conditions we have.

In a normal year, the monsoon season begins in late June or early July. NOAA Climate Prediction Center says we are entering a minor El Nino pattern and that we have better than equal chances for a descent monsoon season this summer. Pray for rain!

In the meantime, we can ride the Dale Ball system, Galisteo Basin Preserve, Glorieta Camps (unless they restrict access) and Pajarito Mountain (unless they restrict access). There is a chance that since the Carson NF didn't go into Stage 2 restrictions (no open fires) until just last week, they might still be open by the end of June. Pray for rain!
    Thank you !

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Angel fire is on private land, they will remain open from what I understand.

mtbr member
    AF is definitely private. Can't see them closing.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Cibola is in ABQ correct? That was my other contingency plan to go to ABQ if sfnf closed. Looks like that could be axed as well. Well I'll keep an eye out on these restrictions. Worse comes to worse we'll just ride the private parks while we're there. I'm really holding it for Carson though because I was REALLY looking forward to a full run off SBT. Do y'all know any rain dances?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Carson will go to complete closure. To my recollection, they didn't follow the SFNF lead in previous drought years. Also, note that well over half the Los Alamos in-town trails are on County land, not FS, and do not close. C'mon up and spend some money! We've got a couple places to buy a beer now, but we still have you covered if bad food, surly service and plain women are your thing.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Carson will go to complete closure. To my recollection, they didn't follow the SFNF lead in previous drought years. Also, note that well over half the Los Alamos in-town trails are on County land, not FS, and do not close. C'mon up and spend some money! We've got a couple places to buy a beer now, but we still have you covered if bad food, surly service and plain women are your thing.
    Sorry Joe but this time the county actually is closing their trails too, at least that's what Clay M. says he heard from the fire chief. Lynn B. also said that LANL is closing their trails on Monday so we're running out of options quickly! Hopefully Pajarito will stay open. They are on private land but are presently evaluating conditions.

Come ride Pajarito/Pajarito Canyon/Camp May trail with us tonight for one last hurrah!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Sorry Joe but this time the county actually is closing their trails too, at least that's what Clay M. says he heard from the fire chief. Lynn B. also said that LANL is closing their trails on Monday so we're running out of options quickly! Hopefully Pajarito will stay open. They are on private land but are presently evaluating conditions.

Come ride Pajarito/Pajarito Canyon/Camp May trail with us tonight for one last hurrah!
    Thanks for the update Neal, disheartening to say the least, but I'd rather have these woods for the future rather than jeopardize them for a few weeks of the hottest month anyway.

Is the bike OK?
    Another quick update:

Pajarito is still holding bike-n-hikes on the weekends so that's the only place to ride in Los Alamos for now. Get up here for some braking bump-free trails! Mid-week XC riding/hiking on the mountain is open for now but is in discussion with the LA fire department.

Stucco Bucket
    Neal, Is summerfest still on? Im guessing we cant ride trail bikes up there up the ridge?

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Neal, Is summerfest still on? Im guessing we cant ride trail bikes up there up the ridge?
    Yeah! Summerfest, Bike-n-Hike weekends, and even hiking/biking on the mountain during the week are still on. You can't camp in Camp May since it's on county land but I think you can still camp in the Pajarito parking lot. No riding Guaje Ridge right now since it's on S.F. National Forest land which is closed.

Stucco Bucket
    thanks. see you there

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    https://nmfireinfo.com/2018/07/06/sf...closures-soon/

I can't wait to hit Winsor again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
    Me too!

NRCS gage says we got 1.4 inches of precipitation on July 5h through the 6th. I think we still need more before SFNF will open. Maybe today and tomorrow there will be more meaningful rainfall.

Santa Fe National Forest Closure Friday 06/01/2018-screen-shot-2018-07-07-7.08.24-am.png

mtbr member
    Jun 2017