Santa Fe Mid March this year- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Santa Fe Mid March this year

It's time for yet another pilgrimage to Santa Fe for the hogfly family. We'll be coming out the third week in March this year. It looks like snowfall has been heavy, so I know that higher elevation riding like Windsor will be out of the picture.

We've ridden La Tierra until we're blue in the face, so we're looking for some other options. My son prefers technical riding, drops, jumps, and flow over long days in the saddle climbing. A few questions:

1) We've never hit ABQ area trails, and it looks like there is some awesome stuff down there. Suggestions if we're going to drive that far on ONE day? We have other non riding family members to consider as well, so full days of riding and hogging the car aren't appreciated by the others.

2) We've considered catching the train from Santa Fe to ABQ as a whole family for a day of fun, with my riding son and I bringing bikes and my wife and non-riding son hoofing it. Is this realistic? Is there anywhere worth riding that you can get to by bike from the train station? Would my on-foot wife/son have anything to do in ABQ from the station (they could Uber).

3) Is Glorietta rideable in Mid-March, considering the amount of snow you all have had? We haven't ridden there yet, either.

4) Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hahaha it's not that far to Albuquerque from Santa fe, I commute between the two cities for work, it's less than an hour. And there's plenty of riding in Albuquerque and the surrounding areas. We haven't had much snow here in Albuquerque, except in the east mountains, those trails are not likely good to go in March, but you never know. Even a lot of santa fe could be good by then. I would say bump your post when the trip gets closer and get an update on conditions

mtbr member
    You say La Tierra, but have you spent much time on the Dale Ball Trails? Good mix for all levels and if your son wants some tech, South Dale Ball can provide it.

Glorieta will be hit or miss, if it keeps snowing like it has, it should be close to rideable, at least Holy Moly and Chili Dog.

Galisteo Basin should be clear as well for solid XC/Trail riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Welp, our trip is approaching and we'll be in Santa Fe in a week. Weather isn't looking great this week as far as moisture, and I know there has been a ton of snow that's still lurking around.

Any read on best areas to ride in Santa Fe/ABQ area next week? La Tierra trailfolks seems to indicate bad conditions there. What will the "Trash Pit"and free ride area be like, as we usually spend a lot of time there. Any other suggestions are appreciated. We've never hit any of the riding about ABQ, so all of that will be fresh to us (provided it's rideable).

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    It can all change in a week. Itís the southwest desert in the Rocky Mountains. The temps could go to 70 for multiple of days while you are here and riding could be great.

Or a snowstorm could move in and dump 6 inches, while leaving ABQ alone.

You need to just stay flexible with where you ride and on what days.

mtbr member
    Both La Tierra and parts of Dale Ball Central are a few clera days away from being rideable, but we'll have to wait and see what this weather system brings. Keep checking TF, as we're updating those when we get news of clear trails. The West side of LT and the Trashpit were 90% clear with some mud in the shadows here and there, the East is pretty muddy still.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I don't know if you are already here, but Santa Fe got hit pretty good with snow yesterday, still clear down here in Albuquerque, I recommend hitting Placitas, which is just north of Albuquerque, about 35mins from Santa Fe, there's a great trail system there. The foothills system in Albuquerque is nice and has a little bit of something for everyone. Either way you should be able to get some good riding in, don't let the snow in Santa Fe get you down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1106 View Post
    I don't know if you are already here, but Santa Fe got hit pretty good with snow yesterday, still clear down here in Albuquerque, I recommend hitting Placitas, which is just north of Albuquerque, about 35mins from Santa Fe, there's a great trail system there. The foothills system in Albuquerque is nice and has a little bit of something for everyone. Either way you should be able to get some good riding in, don't let the snow in Santa Fe get you down.
    Sometimes we miss stuff, I'm this way with posts all the time.

"We'll be coming out the third week in March this year."

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the information. We will arrive tomorrow and be there for a week. Looks like we should get some good riding (of course, itís 60 and gorgeous here in Arkansas today after weeks of crappy weather).

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    We went and walked Trash Pit today. Itís way too wet still. Some lines should be rideable by tomorrow afternoon with the gorgeous weather.

Decided to ride Galisteo Basin, which was new to us. Had a really great time there. The descents were fun and fast. We saw a picture of a large rock roll out there. Does anyone familir with the area know where itís located? My kid wants to do it.