SANTA FE Locals Riding Early Saturday?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

SANTA FE Locals Riding Early Saturday?

I am in town for a wedding this weekend and looking to ride early Saturday morning. I am brining my bike and staying at La Fonda on the plaza. I am currently thinking I will solo the Dale Ball Loop, but local guidance is always more fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Dale Ball loops are super easy to self-navigate. There are loads of trail markers and maps at all the junctions. Drive up the ski basin road, NM HWY 475 just a couple of miles outside of town to Cerros Colorados/Sierra del Norte and park at the corral. Make sure to keep all your valuables out of sight and ride!

The stuff on the north end of it all (this the area around the corral) is the easiest. DB central, other side of the HWY from corral, is moderate on one leg and easier on the other. DB south on the other side of Upper Canyon Road towards Atalaya Mountain is the most technical. Some of this is downright technical. If you make one big loop, sampling a bit out of each area, it is possible to get in a 20+ mile ride, all on Dale Ball.

Here is a link to the Dale Ball Trails: Dale Ball Trails | Santa Fe Conservation Trust

If you only have one day to ride, that is the easiest place to get to and easiest to ride solo. If you have more time, get up to the higher country. There you will discover why IMBA rates us as a Silver Destination. We have loads of really good riding here. But don't tell anyone! Haha!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Beast.