Santa Fe area late December.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Santa Fe area late December.

Hey all,
    I am from Minnesota and I am heading to the Santa Fe area over Christmas. I want to ride but I have never been to New Mexico so I donít even know if this is a possibility or not Fe to conditions. Will be my first actual mountain experience. No mountains in MN! Not asking to predict the weather but is there generally trails open that time of year? Going back and forth on bringing my Process 111 or renting. Obviously I know the mountains will have snow. Any info would be great!
    Thanks!
    Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The lowland riding could be possible, but it is not possible to forecast the weather so far off. In El Nino years (this is one), the end of December has seen a good dump or two in town. If that happens, much of the better town-based riding will be covered in a deep layer of snow making it all but impossible to ride (unless you're have radar to see through the snow). The higher rides would be impossible if this pattern happens again, which is fairly likely. Better to bring the right equipment-skis. Leave the bike at home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the info. I really had no idea what to expect as far if riding would be possible or not. Now I wonít get my hopes up too high about riding. Will just have to call a local shop when I am getting close to leaving to find out if anything is open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You could go 45 minutes South and ride in the Albuquerque, Placitas or San Ysidro(White Mesa) areas. Albuquerque and Placitas Foothills are ride-able pretty much year round. might even get lucky and be able to ride Tijeras area. White Mesa and Red Mesa are sights to see and more than likely doable in December.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Oh really! Thatís awesome. Yeah I am willing to drive to get some riding in. It will be the frozen tundra up here by then so some dirt will be much needed!

mtbr member
    Yer Darn Tootin!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Found out we are actually staying in Abiquiu. Any updated trail reports on whatís rideable out your way?? I will be getting to NM Christmas Day! Canít wait!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Lower elevations in santa fe should be good, for now. They are skiing up at the basin, so high elevations are out of the question They are forecasting snow Wednesday as well. Your best bet is to head towards Albuquerque, white mesa and placitas would be closest to abiquiu and are great riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

White Mesa is truly spectacular (for views) if you get the chance to ride it. It also has a range of riding if you know where to look. Placitas is a ton of fun. We have some good riding here in ABQ too. PM me if you want a ring buddy. I'd be happy to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

Is the bike OK?

Los Alamos & Nambe Trails

The trails around Los Alamos have mostly dried out from recent storms and we are close to Abiquiu. Only the sections of trails that are totally shaded have some snow & ice but that snow & ice is grippy if you ride during the first half of the day. If we get the storm on Christmas day then the trails will probably be covered in snow again but the next few days should be pretty good up here.

You may also want to check out the trails around Nambe. There aren't many miles of trails there but the they are fairly good and I'm guessing dry right now.

Here's a couple pictures from one of my favorite loops, 3 Bears/Cabra, just two days ago:
    Santa Fe area late December.-img_20181220_095617.jpg
    Santa Fe area late December.-img_20181220_100714.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    White Mesa is truly spectacular (for views) if you get the chance to ride it. It also has a range of riding if you know where to look. Placitas is a ton of fun. We have some good riding here in ABQ too. PM me if you want a ring buddy. I'd be happy to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Awesome. Appreciate the offer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well, Iím in Abequiu and it looks like Minnesota. . Not sure what this will mean for riding this week but Iím guessing I will have to drive a ways to find decent riding?