Sanitizing Santa Fe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Sanitizing Santa Fe

Anyone else notice someone is going around and removing all the rocks from Santa Fe Trails? This is most obvious on Dale Ball South and Dorothy Stewart which I ride all the time to get to the rest of the DB and National Forest trails.

First of all it pisses me off that the trails are getting too easy. I'm a lot slower than I used to be but still enjoy the challenge of technical moves.

Secondly, who the hell thinks it's ok to change the trail b/c they want it to be easier? We really need to instill an ethos that if you can't ride it, you walk the few feet to get over it. Don't get me started on the fact the trails are getting too wide, too.

Third, the trails are getting too fast for the safety of all users. I've talked to some pretty pissed off hikers, seen people wearing orange safety vests, etc. The other day I almost ran into a couple riders as I was going moderate speed and had trouble stopping going downhill. Wasn't hauling ass just riding along.

So I don't know if it's the Fat Tire Society folks, someone who maintains Dale Ball or just someone who loves digging up rocks, but it has to stop. The trails are getting ruined. #keepthetrailshard

Stucco Bucket
    I noticed it on Dale Ball, and most ABQ trails. Its the new norm it seems

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by avwrites View Post
    Anyone else notice someone is going around and removing all the rocks from Santa Fe Trails? This is most obvious on Dale Ball South and Dorothy Stewart which I ride all the time to get to the rest of the DB and National Forest trails.

First of all it pisses me off that the trails are getting too easy. I'm a lot slower than I used to be but still enjoy the challenge of technical moves.

Secondly, who the hell thinks it's ok to change the trail b/c they want it to be easier? We really need to instill an ethos that if you can't ride it, you walk the few feet to get over it. Don't get me started on the fact the trails are getting too wide, too.

Third, the trails are getting too fast for the safety of all users. I've talked to some pretty pissed off hikers, seen people wearing orange safety vests, etc. The other day I almost ran into a couple riders as I was going moderate speed and had trouble stopping going downhill. Wasn't hauling ass just riding along.

So I don't know if it's the Fat Tire Society folks, someone who maintains Dale Ball or just someone who loves digging up rocks, but it has to stop. The trails are getting ruined. #keepthetrailshard
    The "cleaning" of the South Dale Ball and Dorothy Stewart is being conducted by one person--Alan Karp, an 85+ year old man who wants to make these trails more hiker-friendly for significantly older people.

He doesn't like mountain biking and doesn't care if his efforts make the trails "easier."

The FS management, the County Trails coordinator, and the City of Santa Fe GUTS management are all aware of him and his activities. For whatever reason, nobody is willing to call him to task for his illegal modifications. He will continue to do this until he is issued a US Federal Citation. And that isn't going to happen.

The good news it that he is now working primarily on one section (the section above the 40 going up towards Picacho) and never goes to the backside of Atalaya or near Secret Agent.

mtbr member
    Trail day to put the rocks back? Surely a small number of mountain bikers can outwork an 85 year old man?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Trail day to put the rocks back? Surely a small number of mountain bikers can outwork an 85 year old man?
    Yep, it's Alan. Saw him doing it one day and asked him to stop. He pretty much threatened me with a rake and pick axe and I wasn't ready to push an old man off a hill. Anyways, there's been huge modifications that have actually made the erosion, speed, and safety a lot worse. Amazed no one at the City or County cares.

Since they don't care he does some work, I imagine it's free reign for the rest of us. If you want to setup a day to take a come-along and a pick axe, it's be feasible to build some features he couldn't move on his own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Yep, it's Alan. Saw him doing it one day and asked him to stop. He pretty much threatened me with a rake and pick axe and I wasn't ready to push an old man off a hill. Anyways, there's been huge modifications that have actually made the erosion, speed, and safety a lot worse. Amazed no one at the City or County cares.

Since they don't care he does some work, I imagine it's free reign for the rest of us. If you want to setup a day to take a come-along and a pick axe, it's be feasible to build some features he couldn't move on his own.
    I'm in Denver but if these were my local trails that's exactly what I'd be doing... He might have opened the door to the opposite of what he's looking for. Get the local bike shop involved and organize a trail day.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Ahh, assumed you were around here. Yep, it's been discussed. There's some other bigger fish on the mountain being talked about, but yeah, this should be on the list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Ahh, assumed you were around here. Yep, it's been discussed. There's some other bigger fish on the mountain being talked about, but yeah, this should be on the list.
    Alan is a tyrant. He is more than a little unhinged. He is also not your typical 85 year old.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would be up for putting in some shovel time, whether it's for putting in features on DB to slow people down or for any new projects (trails south of Aspen Vista, anyone?) to disperse the growing number of riders in SF. We amazingly lucky to have what we have but it can always be better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by avwrites View Post
    I would be up for putting in some shovel time, whether it's for putting in features on DB to slow people down or for any new projects (trails south of Aspen Vista, anyone?) to disperse the growing number of riders in SF. We amazingly lucky to have what we have but it can always be better.
    Here is where you start...Santa Fe Fat Tire Society

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So that shitbird moved off Atalaya and onto DB South after you called him out for calling my wife a bitch? FKNA, I know where I'm riding when I get back to town.