Sandia Trails Improvemenmt Project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Sandia Trails Improvemenmt Project

Here is your chance to help improve your riding options. One piece of the Sandia Trails Improvement Project (STIP) is to build a sustainable trail from Cole Spring Picnic Area via Casa Loma down to the Ojito de San Antonio Open Space trails.This link in the Sandias' trail network has been a dream for many mountain bikers for a long time. On Thursday, August 8, there is a public meeting at the Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm, at 501 Elizabeth SE. Some nearby residents are very opposed to the new trail, though they have built and use trails of their own in the area. These are YOUR public lands, not private property. Please come by to voice your support for the project.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In case you haven't seen it, here is the link to the current STIP maps and more information:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=55336

but i want to ride now
    I guess I'm unclear here what they mean by "scoping". Are we talking physical review of proposed routes?

Also, to my eyes, the biggest miss here is the lack of an alternate trail to Tree Spring, which has become a hotspot of trail user conflicts, since there is no other technical, fun trail between the upper and lower parts of the mountain.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My interpretation of "scoping" is defining the boundaries of the project. The maps are a first cut at improving the trail networks in the Sandias, based in part on years of feedback. If the public identifies desired changes outside the current scope, proposals need to be brought to the land manager during this scoping period. The land manager can then evaluate the proposals within the constraints of the project.

Good point on your idea of a new purpose-built trail to ease traffic on the popular Tree Spring Trail. As stated in the original scoping letter, the goal of STIP is to improve "recreational opportunities of various types" in the Sandias. This is exactly the kind of feedback the land manager needs to complete defining the project scope. But the land manager can't consider the proposal if it isn't clearly defined.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this.

Looks like a lot of plans for the mountain, including DH trails! Things that stick out to me:

- Legal DH trails. Hopefully those can get one-way traffic designation and plenty of warnings for hikers, scoping letter says "prohibit all other users."
    - A new trail coming off Capulin Peak down to 165?
    - Reroutes on 10K are a bummer but there has been a lot of deadfall over there lately.
    - Challenge getting extended to Tree Springs and even lower and also getting re-routed between Ellis and 10k
    - Much needed work/ connectors for North Faulty

I'm sure there's plenty more. Looking forward to the meeting Thursday to get some more information.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

but i want to ride now

My 02

I sent Kerry an email with my comments. Basically, as I see it, the trails around Abq in general have become easier over the last couple of years as some of the jank in the Manzanitas gets rerouted. Now while I will readily admit most of those trails were terrible and unsustainable, they were at least challenging. At this point, the systems are almost all intermediate (one glance at Trailforks confirms).

To me this means, Sandia, which has the infrastructure and terrain, should have trails developed with an eye towards being more technical and challenging. I mocked up the attached map with my thoughts regarding the following :
    1) Lack of alternative to Tree Spring which is becoming a hotbed of user conflicts, esp. on weekends
    2)The reroute shown by the Forest Service on North Faulty which includes miles of contour line trail (boring)
    3)How about extending Tecolote down to North Faulty?, rad terrain and views, could be cool

Otherwise, the I'm excited about the 10K Dh trail being brought in and the extension of Challenge and having singletrack tie into North Faulty at multiple points.
    Sandia Trails Improvemenmt Project-110707_fsplt3_4659815_mk.jpg:
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    That would be a great addition, maybe even connect your Tree Springs Alt to your Tecolote descent. Tree Springs isn't worth it on the weekends.

Pretty good points regarding the degradation of challenging trails in the area. The toe line always seems to be "sustainability" but even the dumbed down trails are eroding. Remember a couple years ago when they tried paving the "Foo Drop" (trailforks name not mine, https://www.trailforks.com/trails/foo-drop/) look at that trail now, eroded beyond it's previous state and fun again.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra