Sandia Ranger District Closure. June 15th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sandia Ranger District Closure. June 15th

I just got off the phone with the Tijeras Ranger Station. Sandia Ranger District will go to Stage 3 restrictions on the 15 of June, which is CLOSURE. Unless we get some good amounts of rain before then. Let's pray for RAIN!
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    A FS employee with the Tres Piedres RD said the Carson is set to go to stage 3 on June 18th.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I understand this closure will include the Placitas trails
    Wondering it it will also include King of the mountain at the ski area and the dirt road up the back side of the mountain from placitas as well as the north/south foothill trails.

mtbr member
    KOM for sure will be closed. Ski area is Forest Service land and not private. The road, I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Weather models this morning are remarkably bullish in respect to monsoon moisture ramping up as early as the end of of the week. More closures wouldn't be surprising but there is hope.

mtbr member
    I saw parts of cibola will be closing this month. Will any of the closures include otero Canyon area?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    I saw parts of cibola will be closing this month. Will any of the closures include otero Canyon area?

Yes it will. Closure on Friday.

mtbr member
    I heard where all of the San Juan Nat Forest in southern Co closed today. Don't think I can ever remember that happening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    I heard where all of the San Juan Nat Forest in southern Co closed today. Don't think I can ever remember that happening.
    I can't recall any of the National Forests in Colorado ever closing! Their economy is too tied to the outdoors. By the way, it closed yesterday. They decision to closed it was based on the 416 Fire.

When the Santa Fe National Forest closed earlier this month, they shut it down at 8am. Do you know what time the Sandia Ranger District will be closing it on Friday?

Carson NF closes on Monday too.

Pray for rain!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    I can't recall any of the National Forests in Colorado ever closing! Their economy is too tied to the outdoors. By the way, it closed yesterday. They decision to closed it was based on the 416 Fire.

When the Santa Fe National Forest closed earlier this month, they shut it down at 8am. Do you know what time the Sandia Ranger District will be closing it on Friday?

Pray for rain!
    Their FB page says 8 am as well

mtbr member

Pray for rain!
    Has Carson closing actually been announced?

saddlemeat
    The Zuni Mountains (Mt Taylor RD) are staying open for the 24 hour race on June 23-24. Things are quite green in the western Zunis this year, looking to be a bumper acorn crop.
    I ride with the best dogs.

Perpetually Intermediate
    Nothing official about the Carson. Rode SBT today and spoke with one of the recreation rangers who was putting up mileage signs. Asked if there was anything official or unofficial about Stage 3 closures, and he said no, but threw in "get it while you can." Nothing in the Taos News or on the Carson NF website yet either.
    RSD Wildcat 27.5+
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Raleigh townie turned Gravel Grinder

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    The Zuni Mountains (Mt Taylor RD) are staying open for the 24 hour race on June 23-24. Things are quite green in the western Zunis this year, looking to be a bumper acorn crop.
    That's good to hear! It is a little confusing because the Forest Service page says the Mt. Taylor RD will close June 22: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cibol...d=FSEPRD583233

But I see on the Zia Rides site that it is officially going to go. I knew it was touch and go and the organizers were working closely with the FS so glad to hear it will happen. It is a great event and has some good economic development benefits to Gallup and McKinley Co!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck80442 View Post
    Nothing official about the Carson. Rode SBT today and spoke with one of the recreation rangers who was putting up mileage signs. Asked if there was anything official or unofficial about Stage 3 closures, and he said no, but threw in "get it while you can." Nothing in the Taos News or on the Carson NF website yet either.
    There was no prior notice about the Santa Fe National Forest closure before it happened except for an article in the SF New Mexican. I heard about the SFNF closure on Tuesday evening before the 8am Friday shutdown.

I heard the CNF was going to close on Monday, June 18th from a friend in Taos. I just called the CNF office to ask if they are indeed closing the day after Father's Day. I was told they have no plans to close next Monday. However, I was told they will be making another assessment next Monday and that they could decide to close it. Who knows when they could close if they decide the conditions warrant closure next Monday? A day, a couple of days, a week?

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    That's good to hear! It is a little confusing because the Forest Service page says the Mt. Taylor RD will close June 22: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cibol...d=FSEPRD583233

But I see on the Zia Rides site that it is officially going to go. I knew it was touch and go and the organizers were working closely with the FS so glad to hear it will happen. It is a great event and has some good economic development benefits to Gallup and McKinley Co!
    It's only the Zuni Mts. that will be open, and I suspect it will not close at all if the current weather forecast is credible. Lots of clouds moving in this afternoon, a few brief showers in the McGaffey area.
    I ride with the best dogs.

Stucco Bucket
    Surprised they let it go this long. All spring I thought Sandia and SF would close in May.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    so it says foothills trail 365 is still open. Does that mean all legal trails in the foot hills, or just the one?
    It would be nice to at least pedal a bit after work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanjoe View Post
    so it says foothills trail 365 is still open. Does that mean all legal trails in the foot hills, or just the one?
    It would be nice to at least pedal a bit after work.
    From the notice: areas to remain open include: "those portions of trail 365, including secondary trails, outside wilderness boundaries, and south of the Sandia Peak tram"
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

What? There's more?
    Irony: waiting at Pine Flats for the rain to stop so we could get in one last ride before closure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Irony: waiting at Pine Flats for the rain to stop so we could get in one last ride before closure.
    We ended up at about 1.25" yesterday and last night.

mtbr member
    Placitas closed?

Hammer
    Sorry to say Placitas is closed along with the rest of the Sandia Ranger District except for the Foothills.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Forest Service trails in Placitas are closed. All the Open Space and BLM trails are open.

Mars

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Haha, I said the same thing when I got stuck in the middle of that storm. It was pretty refreshing, actually.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    The Forest Service trails in Placitas are closed. All the Open Space and BLM trails are open.

Mars
    Some open spaces are closed. The small bit of inventory near Juan Tomas, And Milne/Gutierrez is closed as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhotrotor View Post
    Some open spaces are closed. The small bit of inventory near Juan Tomas, And Milne/Gutierrez is closed as well.
    Let me rephrase my response and try to be more clear. All the Open Space trails in the Placitas area are open. All the BLM trails in the Placitas area are open.

mtbr member
    The Carson National Forest just closed the Camino Real RD (North and South Boundary trails, Devisadero) this afternoon, the rest of the CNF except the Jicarilla goes into Stage 3 Restrictions Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    The Carson National Forest just closed the Camino Real RD (North and South Boundary trails, Devisadero) this afternoon, the rest of the CNF except the Jicarilla goes into Stage 3 Restrictions Wednesday.
    Ouch.
    ABQ North foothills are getting brutal. They are packed and many are not yielding and are otherwise riding more aggressively. Had an asshat coming down a narrow chute on the northern end while I was about to climb it and he made no effort to wait/move/whatever. Seemed buthurt that I called him out on it. Hikers are getting pissed too.

I guess the point is we are all hurting and it's nearly the only place we can ride, so have some chill.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Ouch.
    ABQ North foothills are getting brutal. They are packed and many are not yielding and are otherwise riding more aggressively. Had an asshat coming down a narrow chute on the northern end while I was about to climb it and he made no effort to wait/move/whatever. Seemed buthurt that I called him out on it. Hikers are getting pissed too.

I guess the point is we are all hurting and it's nearly the only place we can ride, so have some chill.
    I've had no problems running into anyone, but then again I ride during the hottest part of the the day. Went for a night ride the other night, though, and noticed that the city seems a lot brighter. Those new LED's they are installing are effing bright!

Sorta weird to see the tram still operating, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a three hour ride yesterday and saw one other bike rider and two groups of two hikers. I usually see no one.

banned
    Jun 2018
    I had a three hour ride yesterday and saw one other bike rider and two groups of two hikers. I usually see no one.
    I'm assuming you are talking about the E. Mountains, if you are used to seeing no one. Everywhere that is currently open for recreation will have crowding issues when the weather is decent, regardless of forest closure.

I've been two or three times in the heat of the day, and I may see the occasional hikers and maybe 1 or two bikers at most. Usually younger people, since they aren't as vulnerable to the heat.

I've been riding in the north foohills, and I tried once to sneak into the woods, but got caught, last week. I actually saw more people on that short bike ride within the forbidden zone than I did on any single outing in the Foohills. Imagine that! lol

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    It's only the Zuni Mts. that will be open, and I suspect it will not close at all if the current weather forecast is credible. Lots of clouds moving in this afternoon, a few brief showers in the McGaffey area.
    Now, that is pretty awesome that they would consider keeping certain parcels open for recreation. Would that be because of the race, and maybe a special use permit? Or, is the fire danger significantly less in the Zunis than on Mt. Taylor?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm assuming you are talking about the E. Mountains, if you are used to seeing no one. Everywhere that is currently open for recreation will have crowding issues when the weather is decent, regardless of forest closure.
    No, not the East Mountains. It is the Open Space/BLM trails in Placitas.

banned
    Jun 2018
    No, not the East Mountains. It is the Open Space/BLM trails in Placitas.
    Is there 2 or 3 hours worth of trails out there? I figured we were still on the topic of the Foothills. I hardly ever hear much mention of the Open Space/BLM inventory in Placitas.

I mentioned in this thread or another one that there is some good stuff popping up out at Red Mesa if you have a keen eye for line choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ouch.

Should we call out asshats or have some chill?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is there 2 or 3 hours worth of trails out there? I figured we were still on the topic of the Foothills. I hardly ever hear much mention of the Open Space/BLM inventory in Placitas.
    There is a whole lot more than 2 or 3 hours worth of trails. There are days worth of trails. I have totaled up over 50 miles of trails on the BLM Buffalo Tract alone.

But there are a whole lot of trails that are really crappy. It would be challenging to get in a fun ride if you don't know where to find the sweet single track. And there are pretty much no maps (yet). The Open Space area has a map but it is missing trails.

banned
    Jun 2018
    There is a whole lot more than 2 or 3 hours worth of trails. There are days worth of trails. I have totaled up over 50 miles of trails on the BLM Buffalo Tract alone.

But there are a whole lot of trails that are really crappy. It would be challenging to get in a fun ride if you don't know where to find the sweet single track. And there are pretty much no maps (yet). The Open Space area has a map but it is missing trails.
    Good to know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ouch.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. Lots of people riding with no etiquette at all. For that matter, there are times when I can pass more than 20 people during a ride, and not one of them returns a hello. Strange place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone have any info as to when the forest will open back up? I recall in the past they would open after the 4th of July, wondering if that's the case or if this is going to go on longer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Anyone have any info as to when the forest will open back up? I recall in the past they would open after the 4th of July, wondering if that's the case or if this is going to go on longer?
    At least up here in SF the forest managers are suggesting end of July at earliest, second week of August at latest. They need to see significant rainfall before the reconsider opening. The good news is that at least the Pecos area has been getting daily rain for a few now.

Dale Ball is the same as the Foothills. Crowded, grumpy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    At least up here in SF the forest managers are suggesting end of July at earliest, second week of August at latest. They need to see significant rainfall before the reconsider opening. The good news is that at least the Pecos area has been getting daily rain for a few now.

Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    The SFNF Closure notice stated ending period could be as late as January 1, 2019! The Carson didn't have an end date in their closure notification.

Good news is that today we have a 60% chance of precipitation (NOAA goes so far to call for it to be "heavy" rain today). The next 5 days/nights show up to a 50% chance of precipitation daily. Monsoon patterns typically bring heavy rain in areas. Maybe we will be lucky and it will just hammer. If we get 2+ inches of rain in the next week I bet the SFNF reconsiders the closure. (Or maybe I am just being optimistic)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks klainmeister and Beastmaster, all that sounds like pretty good news.

mtbr member
    Today will definitely help: we just got received a tremendous amount of rain. The mountains have been getting rain on and off all day until this monster rolled through. Cross your fingers and toes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Today will definitely help: we just got received a tremendous amount of rain. The mountains have been getting rain on and off all day until this monster rolled through. Cross your fingers and toes.
    Crossed! It was a grand old rain! Amazing!

RCC
    Bandolero
    Crossed! It was a grand old rain! Amazing!
    send some of that stuff down to Albuquerque will you! I would like my sandia mtns open too!
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Open tomorrow. It's wet up here (manzanitas)