Sandia Mountain Wilderness- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Sandia Wilderness necessary?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • yah

23 53.49%
  • nah

20 46.51%
    banned
    Apr 2018

Sandia Mountain Wilderness

Sorry for creating another thread, but Kerry brought up something about how Wilderness is reflected among the local community of mountain bikers. So,,,,.....

How many view the Sandia Mountain Wilderness and the current exclusion for bikes as a necessary arrangement to limit user conflicts, habitat disruptions and 'urban expansion?'

I'm not talking about ebikes, I'm talking about purely muscle driven devices. My personal experience after having ridden much of Sandia Mountain Wilderness is that it is a vast area relative to the foothills, and creates a sort of natural barrier between recreationalists and die hards. I am not in favor of opening all Wilderness areas as the STC would like to do. That seems a little too broad for such a narrow scope, but it seems to me in our particular community we could benefit from opening up a majority of the mountain to bicycles, without creating too much 'friction.' If the only way to get there is to support the efforts of such a narrow-minded approach as the STC, I'm not in favor. I will just continue to take my chances when it's appropriate.

This 'mugshot' cost me a $150 and I didn't even have time to do my hair. lol!

Sandia Mountain Wilderness-mtn-biker-s-crest-130-6_8_13.jpg

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by sockrates View Post
    I am not in favor of opening all Wilderness areas as the STC would like to do. That seems a little too broad for such a narrow scope, but it seems to me in our particular community we could benefit from opening up a majority of the mountain to bicycles, without creating too much 'friction.' If the only way to get there is to support the efforts of such a narrow-minded approach as the STC, I'm not in favor. I will just continue to take my chances when it's appropriate.

STC is ONLY in favor of allowing local land managers decide if, where and when bikes could be allowed in their Wilderness areas. STC has never talked about a "blanket opening" of bikes in Wilderness. STC is suggesting exactly what you want to see happen.

Did you get a ticket for riding in Wilderness?

banned
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    STC is ONLY in favor of allowing local land managers decide if, where and when bikes could be allowed in their Wilderness areas. STC has never talked about a "blanket opening" of bikes in Wilderness. STC is suggesting exactly what you want to see happen.

Did you get a ticket for riding in Wilderness?
    So, the last I heard was after 2 or 3 years all Wilderness would be open to bikes, unless previously outlawed after law went into effect. Did that change?

Whether or not it's what I would like to see happen isn't necessarily the point all together. I don't like the idea of supporting people who are lobbying for my recreational activities, who are not specifically tied to my local issues. That's just me. I can't expect that what holds true here is good for everyone else, and I don't necessarily trust our land managers to work in our best interests all the time. They are still the long arm of the Federal government, after all. I guess I can appreciate what the STC is trying to do, but when it comes to a battle of money vs common sense I can't really afford to play that game. It's for people who understand it better than I ever will. I'm just a simpleton, bro.

Yes. I got ticketed by our trails coordinator after a good intention citizen took my picture, logged the coordinates on his GPS, and forwarded it to him. Pretty sure the latter part was a lie by the prosecutor to avoid me taking it to trial, since he said I'd have to go to trial to get it. Even though the bike is not in the picture, I guess it's pretty obvious what I was doing.

banned
    Apr 2018
    It would be interesting to follow the money trail of how those types of fines get allocated when they are collected, and what exactly determined the overall "cost" of my behavior. I don't think I caused any more monetary "damage" to the trail that day than those good Samaritans that I ran into (although, they came off as being somewhat hypersensitive, and even a bit alarmist)....not a $150 worth, and certainly not the $300 amount that was first cited on the ticket. I'm sure it went to a good cause, though. And, it was a real easy 'win' for the prosecution.

Stucco Bucket
    Sorry for creating another thread, but Kerry brought up something about how Wilderness is reflected among the local community of mountain bikers. So,,,,.....

How many view the Sandia Mountain Wilderness and the current exclusion for bikes as a necessary arrangement to limit user conflicts, habitat disruptions and 'urban expansion?'

I'm not talking about ebikes, I'm talking about purely muscle driven devices. My personal experience after having ridden much of Sandia Mountain Wilderness is that it is a vast area relative to the foothills, and creates a sort of natural barrier between recreationalists and die hards. I am not in favor of opening all Wilderness areas as the STC would like to do. That seems a little too broad for such a narrow scope, but it seems to me in our particular community we could benefit from opening up a majority of the mountain to bicycles, without creating too much 'friction.' If the only way to get there is to support the efforts of such a narrow-minded approach as the STC, I'm not in favor. I will just continue to take my chances when it's appropriate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mtn Biker on S Crest 130 6_8_13.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	1191167

banned
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Dang. Sorry for the low resolution, brosky. It's not quite 'crisp' enough for the ceiling above your bed. lol!

mtb'er
    If you can't do the time or pay the fine, don't do the crime.

The senate bill that expired in the last congress had the 2 year provision... the current bill does not. Here is the bill, as it was amended in December to reflect that land managers retain all discretion on whether bikes can be allowed on any trail in their Wilderness areas: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqM...-qVoNNoEt/view

You do realize that even if your local land managers want to allow bicycling anywhere in the Sandia Mountain Wilderness, they can't because of the 1984 amendment to the Wilderness Act of 1964 that prohibited bicycling, right?

mtbr member
    Dang. Sorry for the low resolution, brosky. It's not quite 'crisp' enough for the ceiling above your bed. lol!
    Actually before it was politely edited, the-owl asked how much you paid for your other 5 mugshots.
    Are you one of the dipshits who built that crap flow trail in placitas? they all land to flat or into turns.

banned
    Apr 2018
    If you can't do the time or pay the fine, don't do the crime.

The senate bill that expired in the last congress had the 2 year provision... the current bill does not. Here is the bill, as it was amended in December to reflect that land managers retain all discretion on whether bikes can be allowed on any trail in their Wilderness areas: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqM...-qVoNNoEt/view

You do realize that even if your local land managers want to allow bicycling anywhere in the Sandia Mountain Wilderness, they can't because of the 1984 amendment to the Wilderness Act of 1964 that prohibited bicycling, right?

The land managers can do whatever they they think they need to do. That's in there too. Seems there is a lot of momentum with this bill. Keep up the good work! This thread has absolutely nothing to do with opening up any Wilderness in the Sandias. I'm just asking whether people think the Wilderness is necessary. You are putting the cart before the horse, my friend.

banned
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Scatland_Yard View Post
    Actually before it was politely edited, the-owl asked how much you paid for your other 5 mugshots.
    Are you one of the dipshits who built that crap flow trail in placitas? they all land to flat or into turns.
    If you had bothered to show up for some of the trail days, I suspect you would know who was there, or not there, Aaron.

banned
    Apr 2018
    Hmmm...the poll shows 8 for "nah", but I only count 6 users. Is someone stacking the deck, or accidentally voting twice? Remember, our land managers are watching...

Stucco Bucket
    If you had bothered to show up for some of the trail days, I suspect you would know who was there, or not there, Aaron.
    Is this like the time you thought tim was the troll and called him a Jew? I dont need a sock puppet account to tell you how I feel about you. Never have.
    Its not about your polls or blabbering, or do gooder MTB shit, people just dont like you.

Is this like the time you thought tim was the troll and called him a Jew? I dont need a sock puppet account to tell you how I feel about you. Never have.
    Its not about your polls or blabbering, or do gooder MTB shit, people just dont like you.
    I'm Jewish too!?

banned
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim View Post
    I'm Jewish too!?
    Yeah, we are all jewish...or, mongol. You and I most likely have similar genealogies. Aaron, ....well, not so much.

banned
    Apr 2018
    Sure, A-ron.

banned
    Apr 2018
    BTW. would either of you and/or your sock puppets mind voting? I assume you are pretty good at multi-tasking...considering...lol!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ughh... See what happens when you feed the trolls?

banned
    Apr 2018
    Yeah. Can't you guys troll, AND vote your conscience? C'mon, it's important for Kerry to know what he's up against, once they GIVE him the authority to sell off Wilderness to the highest 'bidder.' haha! Talk about your trolls....

mtb'er
    Wait... is sockrates the same guy who always called Wilderness "the Wilders" on MTBR??

Stucco Bucket
    Wait... is sockrates the same guy who always called Wilderness "the Wilders" on MTBR??
    The one and only.. fuggin aye
    And that was the last thread, before his ban was reinstated after he begged to be on here for "advocacy reasons"
    NM forums are dead. Im gonna close this tab for good. I get more joy out of slamming my penis in a car door.

banned
    Apr 2018
    The one and only.. fuggin aye
    And that was the last thread, before his ban was reinstated after he begged to be on here for "advocacy reasons"
    NM forums are dead. Im gonna close this tab for good. I get more joy out of slamming my penis in a car door.
    I begged for nothing. They allowed my old user name for a few months because it must have agreed with some people.

Maybe if you got rid of the hard on you have for me, it won't be so painful. Maybe that's the only way you can knock it back? lol

banned
    Apr 2018

Yeah. As you can see, I'm trying to conform to popular belief systems so that I'm better received by the general public. True story.

mtb'er
    You're nutters. Only person to get donated $ to STC returned. Nobody wants to touch you with a 100' pole. Good luck with whatever you are trying to advocate for!!!

banned
    Apr 2018
    You're nutters. Only person to get donated $ to STC returned. Nobody wants to touch you with a 100' pole. Good luck with whatever you are trying to advocate for!!!
    Fake news, bro.

There is a lot more to the story than what you are insinuating, but whatever.

As you are already so well aware, luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. The truth is you want nothing more than for me to be 'nutters', cuz that obviously means you are sane. Well done. lol!

You and Aaron remind me of these two cops. You wanna know why?

Sandia Mountain Wilderness-img_0207.jpg

mtb'er
    Lol!

banned
    Apr 2018
    Anyone else having problems viewing who has/hasn't voted? I can only see 6.

TIA.

Fragilie
    I say open that shit up, its my land just as well as anyone else's.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

What? There's more?
    The question at the beginning of the thread was clear... I thought: Sandia Wilderness Necessary? Yes it is. Or is this about bikes in the wilderness? Or about Owl never coming back to this forum (oh please, yes). Always turns into a personal urinating contest. Bryan, let it go. Your message is getting lost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    The question at the beginning of the thread was clear... I thought: Sandia Wilderness Necessary? Yes it is. Or is this about bikes in the wilderness? Or about Owl never coming back to this forum (oh please, yes). Always turns into a personal urinating contest. Bryan, let it go. Your message is getting lost.
    It would be nice if you and Brian took a permanent vacation.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Is it necessary for the reasons I listed, or do you have some better ones? lol.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Scatland_Yard View Post
    It would be nice if you and Brian took a permanent vacation.
    Do I know you? My name is Bryan W/AY. Bro.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I say open that shit up, its my land just as well as anyone else's.
    Anyone's else. not anyone else's. It's actually somewhat relevant to the context of the discussion. haha!

Fragilie
    [QUOTE=Redhotrotor;13716773]Anyone's else. not anyone else's. It's actually somewhat relevant to the context of the discussion. haha![/QUOT

You have too much free time.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

banned
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post

You have too much free time.
    Nothing is free. lol!

Srsly, I'm sorta nursing sore ribs at the moment, so time goes by very, very slowly. It's about all I can do to not go completely stir crazy.