Rio En Medio (REM) Ride Report (April 22, 2018)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Rio En Medio (REM) Ride Report (April 22, 2018)

Yesterday a group of us attempted to ride REM from the bottom (trail 163) to Nambe River (up trail 179, known as Viejo and over to trail 160, along the Nambe River) and up through Rancho Viejo (trail 158, along the Rio
    Capulin) to the Borrego Trail (trail 150) and we had hoped to come back around to the upper REM for that amazing drop back into REM (trail 163). It is a classic ride.

However, the amount of blown down trees in parts was shocking. It wasn't too bad until we got to the Borrego Trail. We cleared all of the trees up to the cross over on the Capulin. There were probably 25 trees down, but with 8 of us it was possible. But when we got to the burned off area along the Borrego there were just too many downed trees to remove. Literally 1000's of trees down--and way too many down along the trail to remove. So we hiked over them, rode when we could for a couple of yards and then repeated the move (times dozens of times). Not much fun.

Time was running short for two of us, so the group split with most everyone going up to the REM junction for that drop. I went with my friend down the Nambe (trail 160) which was ridable, but had loads of hike-a-bike-over-trees (probably 25 down?). We rode back out the same way we dropped (160 to 179 to 163). Because we removed all of those trees earlier, that portion was great.

Our friends who continued down the Borrego towards REM went maybe a mile down from our turn off only to be forced to quite their efforts. There were even more downed trees over there. One of them described it as "total devastation!"

With the Forest about to go into Stage 2 restrictions and Stage 3 (closure) to follow soon, it is doubtful any of this will be cleared any time soon. REM/middle Borrego/Mineral is all unrideable until a MASSIVE tree removal project is completed. I don't see the Forest Service dedicating resources to a project like this under these conditions.

So there we have it. Don't go down REM! It is possible to go out to the confluence of the Nambe/Capulin and up to Rancho Viejo (edge of the Wilderness) as an out-n-back, but otherwise forget about it.

Pray for rain before we become the prey!

Rio En Medio (REM) Ride Report (April 22, 2018)-img_8173.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bummer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got a report the upper section of REM is ridable. There are a few trees down, but it is passible. The same source said his friends went down lower REM and that was a full-on nightmare. Apparently Mineral is GTG.

mtbr member
    The same locals that always clear REM (I can't make it this time) will be clearing trees tomorrow. There will be more clearing Sunday and more on Wednesday. The FS doesn't have the staff to do this as usual. If you want to pitch in and get this rideable then chime in here. It may not get cleared without your help. I'll make sure the organizers can connect with you.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    REM is clear below Aspen Ranch. I talked to one of the guys that went down Mineral and he said it's G2G. There's a SFFTS sawyer planning on working on upper REM Wednesday.

Borrego from Aspen Ranch to Rio Capulin and Rio Nambe will have to wait until the monsoons. Stage 2 restrictions will probably start this Friday (5/4).

mtbr member
    Any talk about a stage 3 date w officials? It seems like it has to be coming.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte