Riding in monsoon season- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Riding in monsoon season

Technically, it hasn't started yet, but the late-afternoon rains lately have me thinking.

I ride mostly about 5PM. I don't want to ride in the mud, but I also don't want to skip riding because of a 30 minute rain.

Are you skipping rides when it rains, or picking more rain friendly trails?

I got caught out in Cedro during a good rain that turned into a clay / mud fest that I'd rather not repeat.

The foot hills seems like it can take a descent amount of water before getting ugly. But I don't really want to be limited to riding just those trails.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Cedro/otero are nightmares when it rains in summer. Also lighting is nothing to take lightly out there or anytime a thunderstorm is near. Probably the worst time to ride during monsoon season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I won't ride in serious rain if I can help it. But light rain, or a short shower that just ended shouldn't keep me off the bike, but I'm really gun shy about the Cedro area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Neither side of the highway should be ridden in the mud, but I've ridden out of Otero more than once after getting caught in the rain. Cedro, on the other hand, can turn into your worst nightmare in a matter of minutes, and riding Cedro when it might still be wet is just asking for it. It only takes one mudbog and you're carrying your adobe bike in your adobe shoes. I used to ride Sandia in all types of wet, from melting snow to immediately after a downpour without a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Neither side of the highway should be ridden in the mud, but I've ridden out of Otero more than once after getting caught in the rain. Cedro, on the other hand, can turn into your worst nightmare in a matter of minutes, and riding Cedro when it might still be wet is just asking for it. It only takes one mudbog and you're carrying your adobe bike in your adobe shoes. I used to ride Sandia in all types of wet, from melting snow to immediately after a downpour without a problem.
    I guess I hadn't considered the water flow of Otero, so yea, probably not a good idea.

When you say sandia, are you referring to foothills? That does take water well, and if it's my only option, it's better than nothing. I was just looking for an alternative.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanjoe View Post
    When you say sandia, are you referring to foothills? That does take water well, and if it's my only option, it's better than nothing. I was just looking for an alternative.
    No, I was referring to the ski area - when riding up (for those who do such things) KotM was a worthwhile alternative. I don't know how rideable those trails are currently though. My understanding is that maintenance is not what it used to be, but don't actually know.

My reason for mentioning is to point out that wet riding opportunities can vary widely within the same area. High Desert in Gallup is peanut butter, yet the Zuni mtns can be ridden in the rain, with the notable exception of the Berma trail, which is pure red clay. I've also ridden Pajarito after a thunder/hail storm, but I don't know if that applies to other Los Alamos area trails. I've been caught in storms in Santa Fe, and had no problem continuing the ride after it was safe to crawl out from under the bushes.

In any event, I personally consider getting caught in a thunderstorm a very scary scenario, and stick to AM rides in the monsoon season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a ride out by the ski area to see what things are like.

I'd like to do AM rides, but this work thing keeps getting in my way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I always see mtb's being shuttled up Sandia Crest Rd above the ski area when I'm up there on Monday afternoons. I don't know who it is or what their agenda is, but I doubt they're driving to the Crest just for the view. I would guess the plan includes riding the 10k trail over to one of the descending trails.