Ride Needed To Break Up The Drive- Mtbr.com
    Dirtmistress

Ride Needed To Break Up The Drive

Hi. I posted here a week or so ago. My friend and I are driving to Bentonville for the IMBA women's mountain bike summit.
    We're driving from L.A. and leaving tomorrow morning.
    We know Flagg isn't in great shape right now, so we'd like to push on to Albuquerque.
    I've done a minimal amount of research due to lousy things that life throws at you, but one trail I did see was Tunnel.
    In all the other comments threads, I didn't see any of you recommend it. Is it boring? We hate boring.
    Is Santa Fe out of the question? She wants to go there, but I'd rather stay closer to the 40. Doesn't matter I guess. As long as it's fun. Can you let me know the 411 on the trails and if anyone wants to guide us, that would be great. We are advanced riders that have been mountain biking since 1990.
    Thanks
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.

Dirtmistress
    Oh Sure. That's what all locals say to keep people off their trails.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?

Dirtmistress
    I'll try to find your post when I have time, but it's easier to just go to my post and hope that people answer.
    Is there a place to get trail maps?
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd definitely recommend Tunnel/Otero/that area for what you're looking for.

Dirtmistress
    I recently read that there are some great trails in Gallup. We're 80 miles outside of Flagg and will probably push on to stay in Gallup. That'll be about 10 hours driving. Anyway, Tunnel/Otrero or Gallup?
    What would you ride with 3 or 4 hours to kill?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The High Desert trail in Gallup is a blast. The whole thing is a little over 20 miles. It is fast and flows well. I usually ride in the Zunis a little past Gallup, but it may be a bit muddy out there. The High Desert has two trail heads, Gamerco and Mentmore. My recommendation is to start at the Gamerco trail head, but make sure you do the Mentmore loop as well. I don't think you will regret riding this trail, really fun.
    Gallup Area Trails INFO - Gallup Trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    I recently read that there are some great trails in Gallup. ...
    If you go to HDT, you can ride the entire system in a very fun couple of hours. Plus an option for repeating the slickrock on the west side by using the 3rd mesa crossover. Or just chilling on the slickrock. Ride everything counter-clockwise. Bear to the right at 3rd mesa crossover to avoid cutting the 2nd/3rd mesas loop. It's a loop if you start on the west side. Ride up to the trail and turn right. If you start from the east side, it's a lollipop to get to the loop(s). Only downside to the west-side start is the slickrock climbing for a warmup. West end is far more scenic. Second and 3rd mesas can be ridden as one big 12-mile loop. At the east end of that loop is an out-and back from 2nd mesa to the loop that is 1st mesa. You'll be riding in the 1st mesa area first if you start on the east side. So that's a lollipop to 1st mesa loop and then on to the 2nd/3rd mesas loop via the out-and-back. I believe the handful of intersections are signed. Not sure since I don't need the signs.

If trail conditions are ideal, a 3-4 hour ride in the Otero area is hard to beat. But it'll be a lot harder for you to navigate than HDT if you don't already know your way around. It's supposedly rideable, but I don't know if that includes all the trails.

On the other hand, don't attempt to ride HDT if it's wet. Peanut butter nightmare.

mtbr member
    I'd ride the Otero area over Gallup. All the trails are on the trailforks app, check out southern crossing, caida del pino and gamble oak (all in the Otero canyon area).

Dirtmistress
    Hi. I just wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions. We ended up riding the High Desert trails. Super fun.
    Today we did a ride in Amarillo, Palo Duro Cyn. It was kind of like Zion. Also, very fast and fun.
    Anyway, thanks much.