Questions about Nambe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Questions about Nambe

Can anyone tell me if the trails in Nambe are open? Is the land public or private? Best place to access them?

I've seen cars parked along the road between Nambe and Chimayo with bike racks, but I've also seen signs that lead me to believe the land isn't open.

Would like to ride up there tomorrow afternoon while my wife is visiting family.

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks,
    ABQ Clyde
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    The Nambe trails are on BLM land and are open to public access, via the trailhead along NM 503 which is the most used and easiest access point, it is entirely legal to access the trails from here ~ any signs declaring otherwise are likely rogue signs posted by disgruntled "local" residents, with their typical NIMBY attitude. There is also access at the end of County Road 113, this is an informal trailhead but is well developed ~ it sits directly on the boundary of BLM and private/Pueblo lands ~ there is a fence along the boundary with open gates and when I was there a few months ago a BLM trail marker sign was posted a few feet beyond one of the gates. Issues have arisin in the past with residents of this neighborhood who don't want people to use CR 113, they have posted signs and left notes on peoples' vehicles however County Roads are public rights of way and from what I understand this area had been an historic access point for the BLM lands before the neighborhood was developed and the private land parcelled and sold as residential properties, so it should be legal to park and ride from here also

There is a post about this with one trail mapped on MTB Project here; https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...mbe-dairy-area

Also Welcome to Land Matters has a map tool which can be useful to determine land ownership and management.

Of course, any specific inquiries about this area regarding trails and access points should be discussed with the BLM district office in Santa Fe as their word is what goes, not what any local residents want to believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    The Nambe trails are on BLM land and are open to public access, via the trailhead along NM 503 which is the most used and easiest access point, it is entirely legal to access the trails from here ~ any signs declaring otherwise are likely rogue signs posted by disgruntled "local" residents, with their typical NIMBY attitude. There is also access at the end of County Road 113, this is an informal trailhead but is well developed ~ it sits directly on the boundary of BLM and private/Pueblo lands ~ there is a fence along the boundary with open gates and when I was there a few months ago a BLM trail marker sign was posted a few feet beyond one of the gates. Issues have arisin in the past with residents of this neighborhood who don't want people to use CR 113, they have posted signs and left notes on peoples' vehicles however County Roads are public rights of way and from what I understand this area had been an historic access point for the BLM lands before the neighborhood was developed and the private land parcelled and sold as residential properties, so it should be legal to park and ride from here also

There is a post about this with one trail mapped on MTB Project here; https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...mbe-dairy-area

Also Welcome to Land Matters has a map tool which can be useful to determine land ownership and management.

Of course, any specific inquiries about this area regarding trails and access points should be discussed with the BLM district office in Santa Fe as their word is what goes, not what any local residents want to believe.
    Fantastic info. Thank you very much!
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)