Please, Help Me Find Some Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Please, Help Me Find Some Trails

Hello,

I live in Albuquerque - about 4 years now. I have ridden the Foothills, White Mesa, and last weekend Tijeras.

The Foothills are pretty good for me but I have so many rides there, I want something new.

White Mesa is good riding but alone not my favorite - I never see anyone there so an injury would be really bad.

I rode Tijeras last weekend for the first time. It was okay but the "rock gardens" aren't really gardens in that nothing is planted; it was all loose baby heads and really torn up from motorcycles (they are allowed there and that is fine just makes the trails less appealing to me). I liked some stuff I rode, Coyote-Chamisoso, but there were parts that got very boring; grinding up loose baby heads to have a downhill section so badly rutted and with so many loose large rocks that I was still going pretty slowly down.

I am looking for some new rides. I like XC, prefer buff XC, and prefer to ride alone but in a place where I am likely to at least run into to one or two riders if I am out for a couple hours.

I am slow but can ride for hours. I have been traveling to Utah for full day rides and don't have any problems with Moab or Park City as long as I can go my own pace, 5 mph. I can ride just about any trail but prefer two wheels on the ground - so small sections of extreme stuff is okay if it connects great XC trails.

I will travel an hour to a trailhead - from the I. And I am looking for 10-15 miles of riding.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
    elephant

CoolArrow
    You could Google Gallisteo Basin preserve in Santa Fe.... great views, overall pretty smooth singletrack, and some loop options for potentially longer rides.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Placitas has some nice trails. Most are pretty smooth. Just a couple of short baby head climbs. In the Manzanitas, south of Coyote are tunnel/otero/and the various turkey trails, which I wouldn't call buff, but are more fun than the trails on the east side of the road.

Check out MTB PROJECT they have most of the trails on there and good descriptions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks. I'll check those out.

I have an MTB Project account and have built some rides with it. Any suggestions on building good loops is appreciated - some trails are just better in one direction.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by elephant; 10-20-2016 at 04:44 PM.

mtbr member
    In the east mountains my two favorite loops are Tunnel, West ridge, Otero north, tunnel connector to West ridge connector, Birdhouse.

And Tunnel, Tunero, Otero, Gnasty, Upper Blue Ribbon, Drop In, Cajun Pine, Three Bottles, Gnasty, Otero, Tunnel or Birdhouse.

Then there is the West Boundary, Turkey Trot, More Turkey, etc. Loop. It's pretty smooth and flowery except in one or two spots. I do it counter clockwise.

In Placitas I do Strip Mine counter clockwise then take the road our connector trail up to the top of bobsled. Ruin bobsled two our three times then take fence line south and do steebs line.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you have been willing to go to Utah (!) for day rides, then you could certainly manage the hour to Santa Fe. Check it out! Loads of the kind of terrain you like. Also go to Los Alamos, about another 1/2 hour further north from Santa Fe. Again, loads of stuff like you describe.

https://www.imba.com/ride-centers/current/santa-fe

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8009343/santa-fe

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...and-los-alamos

http://www.losalamosnm.us/parks/trai...dout%20Map.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks. I can build those from the map.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'll check these trails out.

I go to Utah and do multiple full days of riding in a row. I was just pointing out my willingness to ride all day and the sorts of trails I enjoy. No day trips to Utah but 5 day trips are perfect!

What? There's more?
    Oak Flat fits you criteria and is close. Start from Pine Flat picnic area, up Pine Connector and chose from many possible loops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, everyone. I rode the Figure 8 on MTB Project today. It was pretty good.

I will ride Placitas next. Then try some these other suggestions.

Thanks again.

Frame Building Moderator
    Los Alamos does not have "tons" of "buff" riding. Santa Fe does (both Dale Ball/Chamisa/Winsor and the Camino la Tierra stuff).

I mean, Los Alamos is fun, for sure. But it's not generally smooth and buff. Nor easy to navigate. OP will have more fun in Santa Fe, I think.

-Walt

Fragilie
    There's also the McGaffeys' just before Gallup, probably 40ish miles of buff s/t.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)