Petroglyph Bike trails- Mtbr.com
    SEC
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Petroglyph Bike trails

Was wondering what trails folks ride besides the Volcanoes out in the Petroglyph Monument and what resources there are for knowing what's out there. I only saw the volcanoes on MTB Proj. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hey SEC, you're speaking my language!

I moved into a house just below the volcanoes a little less than 6 months ago (Montecito community). I've been exploring the trails out here once or twice each week since the move.

In general, the trails out here aren't as "fun" as the foothills or Otero area, but I would put them up against Placitas, if you know where to look. It also depends on the kind of riding you like to do. The trails out here trend toward the cross country end of the spectrum, but again, there is some technical riding to be had, if you know where to look.

Just this weekend I think I figured out my optimal route to maximize the technical options and single track. Here's the best description I can give you:

Start out heading west from the far northwest corner of the Montecito development. This is an old dirt road that mostly climbs west/southwest for about 1.5 miles until you come to a gate and paved bike path. Go through the gate and head directly southwest staying on dirt.

After about a half mile you continue straight onto single track and continue the gradual climb as the trail turns south and reaches a pretty steep and technical climb to the top of the Vulcan Volcano (the one with a bid saddle in it). Turn east/southeast to go through the saddle and drop down a loose and techy descent. Then start working your way back to the south and eventually climb the Black Volcano. That one has a short punchy climb to get to the top, and you can skirt the perimeter of the top to loop it and come back down the way you went up.

From there start working your way back to the north to climb the west side of Vulcan, and descend the same way you made the techy climb previously. At the bottom of that descent be on the lookout for single track on your right. Make that hard right to start heading east/southeast. You'll stay on this route heading generally east for about 1.8 miles.

Hang a right to stay on the route under the power lines for about 1.3 miles.

Then make another right to turn southwest. This begins a gradual climb that ultimately loops back up to Black Volcano. There's one point where you can bear right to stay on single track that will then reconnect with the double track. It's mostly double track gradual climbing for about 5.5 miles back to the top of Black.

From Black take the same route to climb Vulcan on the west side. You can then descend again through the saddle or descend that previous techy climb again. Ultimately you want to keep going north toward Butte Volcano. The route is pretty obvious to get to the top of Butte. From Black to Butte is about 3 miles. Descend Butte to the northeast, and bear left at the bottom, again staying under the power lines.

Be on the lookout for single track on the right after about a half mile. Take that hard right and enjoy a mile+ single track gradual descent. It comes out onto the paved bike path. Take a left, and watch for the gate almost immediately on your right. Go through the gate to the east and then to the east and then to the south, and start working your way east/southeast on the dirt roads back to Montecito.

You can find rocks and lips to pop off of and enjoy throughout this ride, including on those dirt roads. The most technical climbs and descents are in close proximity to the volcanoes, and it can get pretty loose on the volcanic rock.

I did the route I described on Sunday afternoon. It took about 2 hours and 20 minutes, including a few rest breaks (2 hours of riding time).

If you're on strava, you can check it out there. My name is Patrick Garr.

Happy to show you around, if you live out this way or just want to come check it out.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

SEC
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Clydesdale,
    That is amazing! This sounds really cool and I'm glad to hear there is so much riding out there! I'll check out starva and let you know, thanks!!
    DaDude and Clydesdale,
    I've got news that one of the City Council members may have just introduced a limit to the trails on the Monument. I'll know more in a couple days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    A city councilman has proposed banning all wheeled vehicles from the open space and the monument.

AMBA was contacted by the monument management (around December) about their plan to cut the trails down to "only" 100+ miles that would be manageble and they wanted public input. AMBA then proceeded to launch an email campaign to support that option by having mtbers write the monument at the monuments request. We don't know for sure how many folks wrote in to support the plan but it was less then 20.

IMBA and AMBA are now trying to mitigate damage.

mtbr member
    I most definitely sent in comments, and I'm disappointed to hear how few there were. Please keep us posted.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)