Pajarito Park Updates?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 70 of 70
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    595

    Pajarito Park Updates?

    Any updates on trail work being done at Pajarito for this season? Anything new for opening day from the end of last season? Any word on the flow jumpy trail that was supposed to go in?

  2. #2
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Any updates on trail work being done at Pajarito for this season? Anything new for opening day from the end of last season? Any word on the flow jumpy trail that was supposed to go in?
    It's been taking forever to do the final land transfer from Los Alamos Ski Club to TCP (the owners of Purgatory and a bunch of other resorts) but we're really really close. Once that is final, we start the LEDA process to get our county money funding of the flow trails so that's still a couple months away. There's too much to explain here but talk to me if you want more info. I'm on the LASC board of directors working with them on this.

    Anyways and in the meantime, we had some good dirt work on our trails with an excavator last fall by Dante Harmony. Hogan Koesis (the new Bike Park Director for Purgatory, Pajarito, + other TCP resorts) will be on the scene here starting tomorrow through opening weekend on May 19-20. He'll be clearing trails, setting up a dual slalom race course, and getting ready for opening weekend. We've also got the volunteer group that I head up every Wed night cleaning up trails and working on new features. We've already worked one Saturday and two Wednesday nights.

    The park will be open every Sat/Sun from May 19 through the end of Oct with multiple events scheduled for the summer. The first big one is the RMSC DH/Dual Slalom/XC/Short Track race on May 18-20th. See The Rocky Mountain Race Series / Events / Chocolate Bunny Productions for details on the race and https://www.pajarito.ski/ for info on Pajarito. The race will be the first stop of the new series who Keith Darner put together. Keith used to run the Mountain States Cup!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    595
    Thanks for the update Neal. It's not super important, was just trying to get an idea of how many times I should plan to visit Paj vs. AF, and what trails I should look for improvements on in the early season.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    It's been taking forever to do the final land transfer from Los Alamos Ski Club to TCP (the owners of Purgatory and a bunch of other resorts) but we're really really close. Once that is final, we start the LEDA process to get our county money funding of the flow trails so that's still a couple months away. There's too much to explain here but talk to me if you want more info. I'm on the LASC board of directors working with them on this.

    Anyways and in the meantime, we had some good dirt work on our trails with an excavator last fall by Dante Harmony. Hogan Koesis (the new Bike Park Director for Purgatory, Pajarito, + other TCP resorts) will be on the scene here starting tomorrow through opening weekend on May 19-20. He'll be clearing trails, setting up a dual slalom race course, and getting ready for opening weekend. We've also got the volunteer group that I head up every Wed night cleaning up trails and working on new features. We've already worked one Saturday and two Wednesday nights.

    The park will be open every Sat/Sun from May 19 through the end of Oct with multiple events scheduled for the summer. The first big one is the RMSC DH/Dual Slalom/XC/Short Track race on May 18-20th. See The Rocky Mountain Race Series / Events / Chocolate Bunny Productions for details on the race and https://www.pajarito.ski/ for info on Pajarito. The race will be the first stop of the new series who Keith Darner put together. Keith used to run the Mountain States Cup!
    Hey Neil, What will happen to your summer plans if the SFNF is in closure? Stage 3 seems imminent.

  5. #5
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Hey Neil, What will happen to your summer plans if the SFNF is in closure? Stage 3 seems imminent.
    Nothing! Pajarito is on private land so they stay open when the SFNF closes. As good neighbors, Pajarito often stops us from using chainsaws when the surrounding forest has restrictions but that's by choice since it isn't NFS land.

    By the way, I can see a bit of snow on the top of the mountains from last night and we may get a bit more tonight. Every little bit of moisture sure helps at this point!

  6. #6
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Thanks for the update Neal. It's not super important, was just trying to get an idea of how many times I should plan to visit Paj vs. AF, and what trails I should look for improvements on in the early season.
    I'm glad you asked! It gave me the opportunity to update anyone else who's wondering too.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Nothing! Pajarito is on private land so they stay open when the SFNF closes. As good neighbors, Pajarito often stops us from using chainsaws when the surrounding forest has restrictions but that's by choice since it isn't NFS land.

    By the way, I can see a bit of snow on the top of the mountains from last night and we may get a bit more tonight. Every little bit of moisture sure helps at this point!
    I didn't know that Pajarito was on private land! Fantastic news!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529
    I was excited to get a season pass this year, but damn, $250?? That's a $100 increase!

  9. #9
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    I was excited to get a season pass this year, but damn, $250?? That's a $100 increase!
    Dude, you missed the first sale deadline about a week ago when it was $199. But note that there's about 3x more days open this year than last year plus you also get unlimited at Purgatory, 3 days at Crested Butte, 3 days at Grand Targhee, 3 days at Powderhorn, and 3 days at either Winter Park or Steamboat (that one's still being worked out). So still a hell of a deal even at $249!

  10. #10
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    RMRS Race this weekend!

    The trails are coming in good for opening weekend and the RMRS kick off! Hogan's been working full time removing trees, fixing up features, and building the dual slalom course. Come race or ride this weekend, Pajarito opens Friday at noon!

    Main race site: The Rocky Mountain Race Series / Events / Chocolate Bunny Productions

    Here's a video we made of the DH race course last week:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/487244/

    We spent tonight burning in the new Dual Slalom course for the race:
    Pajarito Park Updates?-ds1.jpgPajarito Park Updates?-ds2.jpg

  11. #11
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    NM Bike Parks for Memorial Day Weekend!

    Pajarito is good to go for Memorial Day Weekend! Tonight we cleared the trees on Fast-n-Loose, Bonecrusher rock entrance, Midway (shortcut to new slalom course), and upper Triple Threat Log. We also cleared the Battle Stations log ride, I sliced a log in half to fix the start and fixed up the B.S. road gap. Pajarito got over an inch of rain the other night and should be great for the long weekend. I plan to hit it Saturday to avoid the crowds up north and maybe hit AF on Monday after most people have gone home.

    B.S. Log Ride:
    Pajarito Park Updates?-bslog.jpg
    Last edited by nealpederson; 05-24-2018 at 07:51 AM.

  12. #12
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    SummerFest 2018!

    Don't miss SummerFest this Saturday (6/9), it's gonna be a good one!

    Pajarito Park Updates?-summerfest.jpg
    Pajarito Park Updates?-ds.jpgPajarito Park Updates?-poker.jpgPajarito Park Updates?-discgolf.jpg

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    44
    Just got home after riding Pajarito on Sat. As mentioned, its a more 'raw' version of Angel Fire. Met some great folks there and heard the trail designer from AF is now working on updating the plans for Pajarito. Looking forward to the future of this place.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    129
    Are there any trails for kids/beginners there? I'm thinking of taking my daughter, but she is not ready for steep/rocky terrain. I took her down Winsor and while she did ok, she had a hard time on some of the rough sections. But our options for riding a pretty limited right now.

  15. #15
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
    Are there any trails for kids/beginners there? I'm thinking of taking my daughter, but she is not ready for steep/rocky terrain. I took her down Winsor and while she did ok, she had a hard time on some of the rough sections. But our options for riding a pretty limited right now.
    There are some good intermediate trails there but nothing super easy like what would be a green at other bike parks. If she can do Winsor she could probably do Aspenola, Aspen for Trouble, and Half Aspen but would need to walk a couple sections. It's been a long time since I've ridden Winsor so hopefully someone else can chime in to give a better comparison.

  16. #16
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,121
    So Pajarito is fully open, despite the Stage 3 fire restrictions all around it?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    So Pajarito is fully open, despite the Stage 3 fire restrictions all around it?
    yes they are open, they are on private land.

  18. #18
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
    yes they are open, they are on private land.
    Thanks. I realized this question was already asked in post #4 and answered in post #5
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    So, what's the long term game plan for Pajarito? I know they're waiting for land transfers, funds, etc. I spoke to Hogan briefly, but we were both headed in opposite directions, so I didn't want to keep him. It sounded like a couple of new trails would be built, along with some "clean up" of a couple of existing trails. Is there any more info to go along with this?

  20. #20
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    So, what's the long term game plan for Pajarito? I know they're waiting for land transfers, funds, etc. I spoke to Hogan briefly, but we were both headed in opposite directions, so I didn't want to keep him. It sounded like a couple of new trails would be built, along with some "clean up" of a couple of existing trails. Is there any more info to go along with this?
    The land transfer recently (and finally!) completed. Now it's a 60-90 day process to try to get the LEDA grant finalized with the county. If that goes through then Hogan can hire a full crew to start building flow trails. In the meantime us volunteers are working hard to keep the mountain in great shape for riding and Pajarito is running the lifts every Sat/Sun through October.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    The land transfer recently (and finally!) completed. Now it's a 60-90 day process to try to get the LEDA grant finalized with the county. If that goes through then Hogan can hire a full crew to start building flow trails. In the meantime us volunteers are working hard to keep the mountain in great shape for riding and Pajarito is running the lifts every Sat/Sun through October.
    Good deal....thank you Neal! I am anxious to see how it turns out. May have to jump on a pass for next year!

  22. #22
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    3-Day at Pajarito

    For anyone who wants to avoid the holiday crowds, Pajarito is open Fri-Mon this weekend! Us volunteers keep working on trails. Last night we raked Mother's Milk top to bottom and I really cleaned up the drop that I at sh!t on last week (it was my mistake for missing a pop at the end of the ramp).

    Pajarito is also hosting the Party at Paja Enduro event on the following Saturday: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/party-at-paja-enduro.html

    Some pic's from last night at the Mother's Milk drop:

    Pajarito Park Updates?-mvimg_20180829_195023.jpg

    Pajarito Park Updates?-mvimg_20180829_194916.jpg

    Pajarito Park Updates?-mvimg_20180829_194911.jpg

  23. #23
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    ULLR Fest 2018!

    ULLR Fest is this weekend folks! This is the best party/biking event of the year!

    Pajarito Park Updates?-ullrfest.jpg

    Pajarito Park Updates?-flyingullr.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529
    Does anyone (Neal) know what the schedule is looking like for this year? I finally got a season pass, and I'm pretty psyched!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    Also, are they going to offer the discounted passes like they did last year??

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529
    I think they’re discounted right now, got mine for about $200.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    I could have sworn that last year there was a window where they were $149. Maybe not. I just realized their mountain bike pass web page was current, and I had been checking their "mountain biking pajarito" page, which still had 2018 info.

  28. #28
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Does anyone (Neal) know what the schedule is looking like for this year? I finally got a season pass, and I'm pretty psyched!
    I just sent some questions to find out about season passes and will update when I hear back. I can't find anything about the summer passes on the website and this is all managed by their Durango office.

    Locally, Tom Long the GM let me know that opening day will be June 8th, also Summerfest! He said they would then be open most weekends through September and maybe a few Saturdays in October. He also said they'd be open on the Summer Solstice and Fall Equinox evenings from 4-8, those nights are always a blast!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529
    I bought my bike pass here:
    https://store.pajarito.ski/SelectTre...=Summer+Passes

    The website is really hard to navigate. Took me two tries to actually purchase the pass, the first time it said my cart was empty. My buddy had a similar issue.

    I will say, I bought the pass expecting a long season like last year (May 18 - Oct 28). That's a bummer if they're going to open later and close earlier.

  30. #30
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    I bought my bike pass here:
    https://store.pajarito.ski/SelectTre...=Summer+Passes

    The website is really hard to navigate. Took me two tries to actually purchase the pass, the first time it said my cart was empty. My buddy had a similar issue.

    I will say, I bought the pass expecting a long season like last year (May 18 - Oct 28). That's a bummer if they're going to open later and close earlier.
    I can't get the website to work either. I'll keep bugging corporate but still haven't heard back from them today.

    The record snow season probably would keep them from opening until early June this year and if they have good business they'll probably do more in October too. Last year it was pretty slow in October but hopefully that turns around. I'm still trying to figure out the reciprocal days too. You get unlimited at Purgatory. Last year you got several days at Crested Butte and a few other places so hopefully that will be in place this year too.

  31. #31
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    Pajarito Bike Park 2019

    I just heard back and have some more info on Pajarito this summer. Note that they are actively working on the website for the summer so it will get updated more this week.

    - Early season passes are $199 for bike only, $99 if you are buying a winter Power Pass. Get it here: https://www.pajarito.ski/mtb-power-pass/

    - Time deadline for this price is presently this Friday, April 26th. However, there is a good chance they won't go up immediately after this first deadline. I'm pushing for at least mid-May since things are just coming together.

    - Day passes are still $29 on-site or $26 online.

    - The schedule is https://www.pajarito.ski/hours-of-operation/ and they may do more in October weather pending.

    - Presently the reciprocals include unlimited at Purgatory and three free days at Grand Targhee and Bogus Basin. They lost Crested Butte due to Vail taking over there but are working on getting more other places.

    - Rental bikes this summer are: Devinci Spartan 29 Alloy NX: 2 Small, 3 Medium, 3 Large, 2 X-Large. Rocky Mountain Reaper 24": qty 2

  32. #32
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Hey Neil..do you know when's Summerfest?
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  33. #33
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Hey Neil..do you know when's Summerfest?
    RCC
    June 8th and that's opening day too if it ever stops snowing..

  34. #34
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Awesome Thanks
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  35. #35
    May The Force Be With You
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,400
    it's been about 4years but Bobby(my fat belly) and i will be out there this season for sure! I haven't put the Jedi with the DVO Emerald to use yet. i really need to get on building my Balance too. So when you see the fat guy with the green fork just let me know you're coming up on me so i can let you pass
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    666
    Hey Neal, how's the mountain looking for next weekend? Can we still boondock in the parking lot?

    Look forward to seeing everyone there!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529
    Are there any uphill trails at Paj, other than the service rd?

    I was thinking it might be nice to do one pedal-up per day.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Are there any uphill trails at Paj, other than the service rd?

    I was thinking it might be nice to do one pedal-up per day.
    That doesn't sound nice at all
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Are there any uphill trails at Paj, other than the service rd?

    I was thinking it might be nice to do one pedal-up per day.
    "Aspenola" (shorter, much steeper) or "Aspen for Trouble" (more gradual, much longer) are the two go-to's. With Aspenola we usually skip the top section and finish up on the road.

    Keep in mind they're both bi-directional, so there will likely be downhill traffic.

  40. #40
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Hey Neal, how's the mountain looking for next weekend? Can we still boondock in the parking lot?

    Look forward to seeing everyone there!
    It's looking really good for this weekend!:
    - We've got all but lower Aspen for Trouble (XC up) cleared of the 100's of trees that feel over the winter and spring.
    - We've raked/buffed most of the popular trails.
    - We've fixed up some of the wood features that needed nails and screws and we had to rebuild the Chupacabra rock ramp after a tree fell on it.
    - And we're doing the free Strava Race on Half Aspen so just about anyone can try it out. We'll have prizes for the top three men and the top three women donated from Beanie's Bike Shop. I'll post a map course shortly.

  41. #41
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    "Aspenola" (shorter, much steeper) or "Aspen for Trouble" (more gradual, much longer) are the two go-to's. With Aspenola we usually skip the top section and finish up on the road.

    Keep in mind they're both bi-directional, so there will likely be downhill traffic.
    Lower Aspen for Trouble between Red Dog and where it hits Half Aspen still hasn't been cleared of trees yet. My suggested route is to go up the bottom of Aspen for Trouble until you hit Red Dog. Then take a left and go up the bottom of Cub Scout and then Tuff-n-Up. From Tuff-n-Up you can either go up the upper Logging Road or go up the top of Aspen for Trouble but note that Aspen for Trouble will have some downhill traffic (please yield to downhillers when the lifts are running).

    On Saturday the county is running free bus rides to/from Pajarito from the High School parking lot in town (https://www.losalamosnm.us/governmen...c_city_transit). If you plan it right you could park there, shuttle to the ski hill, and then either ride Guaje Ridge to town or ride up Pajarito and off the backside into Pajarito Canyon and back to town. If you go off the backside plan on making a couple left turns to ride Camp May trail down (next to the road up to Pajarito) because I don't thing lower Pajarito Canyon trail or Nail trail have been cleared of trees this season. Ride either Dickless or Gabriela after you get to the bottom of Camp May trail.

  42. #42
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    Pajarito Trail Maps

    Here's a new trail map for the season:
    Pajarito Park Updates?-2019pajaritotrailmap_noheader_small.jpg

    And here's a map of the 2019 Summerfest Strava Race:
    Pajarito Park Updates?-2019pajaritosummerfeststravarace.jpg
    And the segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/18789433

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    666
    You're doing God's work, Neal. Thanks!

  44. #44
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Late notice but the Summer Solstice Pajarito Party is tonight (6/20):
    https://www.pajarito.ski/events/summ...rec=1561046400

    Lifts from 4pm-8pm, band from 6pm-8pm and beer from Bathtub Row 5pm-8pm.

    After some recent rain and a lot of rock raking over the last couple weeks the trails are prime right now!

  45. #45
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Pajarito is running the lifts from 9-3 on Friday for Party at Paja practice but anyone else can ride the lifts for biking that day too. The Party at Paja race is Saturday.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: palerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    504
    Will same day registration for the enduro Saturday be available?

  47. #47
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Will same day registration for the enduro Saturday be available?
    Don't know. You'd have to check with https://www.trailparty.com/paja or https://www.bikereg.com/party-at-pajarito

  48. #48
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    I just talked to the organizer and he said YES, they do have same day registration on Saturday but to get there by 7:00 am!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: palerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    504
    Cool, just drive up friday.

  50. #50
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,399
    Looking forward to getting back out to PJ. It has been a few years! I was watching a recent video and noticed the big teeter totter was gone. What happened?

    Brenda

  51. #51
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Looking forward to getting back out to PJ. It has been a few years! I was watching a recent video and noticed the big teeter totter was gone. What happened?

    Brenda
    A tree crushed it a couple years ago so Alex built a cool ramp feature in the same area. We still have the teeter on Triple Threat and there's a nice one in the skills park too.

  52. #52
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,399
    Bummer about the feature, the new one looks cool tho. Can we still dry camp in the parking lot?

  53. #53
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Bummer about the feature, the new one looks cool tho. Can we still dry camp in the parking lot?
    Yeah, Pajarito p-lot parking is still free!

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    130
    Rode the mountain for the first time over the weekend. Really neat raw, backcountry feel with lots of techie and hidden gems. Reminds me of Sunrise in AZ but with better maintained trails and more less technical options that are still fun. Thinking of Aspeñola and Aspen for Trouble. As far as the more technical trails, I really liked the Air Raid/Battle Stations combo.

    People were really cool. Arrived early to a table of cigar smoking older guys who gave us a warm welcome. Real charm and atmosphere here.

    Highly recommended if you want something a bit off the beaten path with raw, techie features and backcountry charm. It's a great juxtoposition to Angle Fire. Plus, black diamond trails are super legit here.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

  55. #55
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    SYD and MACKY's Pajarito Video!

    In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is great video that Syd and Macky made of technical features at Pajarito. It's worth a watch!

    https://youtu.be/W0oY1NOoB_M

  56. #56
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    ULLR Fest is this weekend, 9/21/2019!

    Don't forget to go to ULLR Fest this weekend!
    https://www.pajarito.ski/events/ullr...rec=1569056400

    Also, if you want to come up the night before the lifts will be running from 4pm-8pm on Friday, 9/20/2019. You can bring your lights for the last hour in the dark!
    https://www.pajarito.ski/events/fall...rec=1568995200

    And for some stoke, Syd and Macky just put out another rad video on Pajarito: https://youtu.be/dmsh4FWwM7g

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    Any more details on new trail development on the mountain?

  58. #58
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    Any more details on new trail development on the mountain?
    The LEDA grant money thing from the county didn't work out due to too many rules and politics. But recently MCP, the owner of Pajarito, has pledged to pay for a new top to bottom beginner flow trail with construction hopefully starting in the spring. They have appointments with a couple of trail building companies to look at the project later this fall.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    The LEDA grant money thing from the county didn't work out due to too many rules and politics. But recently MCP, the owner of Pajarito, has pledged to pay for a new top to bottom beginner flow trail with construction hopefully starting in the spring. They have appointments with a couple of trail building companies to look at the project later this fall.


    Excellent....thank you for the update Neal!

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529
    Why does every new trail have to be a flow trail?

  61. #61
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Why does every new trail have to be a flow trail?
    Cause just about every existing trail at Paja = Anti-Flow. We need some trails that beginners can ride with rental bikes and smiles on their faces rather than blood dripping down their knees. I'd agree that many other bike parks are turning too many trails into flow trails but I don't think that's an issue at Pajarito.

  62. #62
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Don't forget to go to ULLR Fest this weekend!
    https://www.pajarito.ski/events/ullr...rec=1569056400

    Also, if you want to come up the night before the lifts will be running from 4pm-8pm on Friday, 9/20/2019. You can bring your lights for the last hour in the dark!
    https://www.pajarito.ski/events/fall...rec=1568995200

    And for some stoke, Syd and Macky just put out another rad video on Pajarito: https://youtu.be/dmsh4FWwM7g
    Note that tickets on Friday night are just $15 for four hours of riding! Food will be available in the lodge until 7pm and we'll be having our monthly Tuff Rider party that night too. BYOB on the deck that night.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: palerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Note that tickets on Friday night are just $15 for four hours of riding! Food will be available in the lodge until 7pm and we'll be having our monthly Tuff Rider party that night too. BYOB on the deck that night.
    Just a thanks to you Neal and all you do. Urlfest is great event, great trails, great people, a hidden gem in NM.

  64. #64
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Just a thanks to you Neal and all you do. Urlfest is great event, great trails, great people, a hidden gem in NM.
    Thanks, and thanks to all the other volunteers who keep this little rad bike park alive!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    40
    I would like to ride this park. I would say I am a beginner with a hard tail, is there something I would be able to enjoy here?

  66. #66
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by v1ru5 View Post
    I would like to ride this park. I would say I am a beginner with a hard tail, is there something I would be able to enjoy here?
    Probably not right now. Our trails are mostly intermediate to double black level and all hand built. You may want to wait until next summer when they will be building a beginner flow trail top to bottom. Also, there is only one day of the season left this year when they'll be running the lifts: Sat, Oct 5th. Note that you can ride up the XC trail and down any of the trails anytime before the snow starts falling.

  67. #67
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968

    Saturday (10/5) Last Bike-n-Hike of the Season!

    I wanted to let everyone know that this Saturday (10/5) is the last day of bike-n-hike at Pajarito for the 2019 season! Come get some gnar while while you can! Angel Fire is staying open until 11/3 to round out a great fall of DH.

    This is the natural Bonecrusher drop from ULLR Fest weekend. Alex A. filled in the landing with a bunch of dirt a few weeks ago and it is riding really well:
    Pajarito Park Updates?-bonecrusher.jpg

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    I know Pajarito is in the middle of a pretty good ski season, but.....any updates on bike park season? New trails? Season pass dates/deals? Etc...

  69. #69
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    I know Pajarito is in the middle of a pretty good ski season, but.....any updates on bike park season? New trails? Season pass dates/deals? Etc...
    Last fall they started putting a plan into place to hire a professional trail builder to build a top to bottom easy flow trail. I haven't talked to MCP (the corporate owners in Durango) since fall so I don't have anything else to report for summer plans this year. They are having a great ski season though! It always helps the summer operations when they don't lose money over the winter.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Last fall they started putting a plan into place to hire a professional trail builder to build a top to bottom easy flow trail. I haven't talked to MCP (the corporate owners in Durango) since fall so I don't have anything else to report for summer plans this year. They are having a great ski season though! It always helps the summer operations when they don't lose money over the winter.

    Fingers crossed! Thank you for the feedback!

Similar Threads

  1. Pajarito Bike Park, 2017
    By nealpederson in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-18-2017, 09:29 PM
  2. Pajarito
    By Garson in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM
  3. Northwest NM riding or Pajarito
    By GhisalloWheels in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
  4. Pajarito 2011 Lift Days
    By notaknob in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
  5. Big Weekend at Pajarito: July 18, 19 & 20
    By nealpederson in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Members who have read this thread: 33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.