Outside magazine - friend or foe?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Outside magazine - friend or foe?

The Outside Bike and Brew is coming up May 18 - 21, 2017 in Santa Fe.
    Outside Bike & Brew ? May 18 ? 21, 2017 | Santa Fe, NM

The Santa Fe Fat Tire Society is calling for volunteers at this
    Monday's meeting. First thing on the meeting agenda:
    Outside Bike & Brew Festival - What's Happening, How to Register, How
    to Volunteer, and Much More!
    Santa Fe Fat Tire Society

A recent Op-Ed leaves me with the impression that Outside is a foe of
    mountain biking.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/216540...kes-wilderness

I would like to know what the SFFTS board thinks about this Op-Ed. I am
    also going to post this to the mtbr forum
    New Mexico - Mtbr.com
    to ask how others in the mountain biking community feel about it.

PS. I am a member of the SFFTS and supporter of the Sustainable Trails
    Coalition.
    Sustainable Trails Coalition

lurker spaz
    FYI, I am NOT an employee of Outside Magazine, I work for an independent nonprofit corporation that is organizing the event.

Re: https://www.outsideonline.com/216540...kes-wilderness

I think the debate about bikes and Wilderness is important. I don't know Christopher Solomon, but he did make his opinion clear in this piece. For what it's worth, I don't agree with most of the points Mr. Solomon made in the article nor his conclusions.

I hope no one's decision to participate, or not, in the Outside Bike & Brew festival will be changed by this article.

Thanks,
    Tim Fowler
    Event Director
    Outside Bike & Brew Festival

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    In Outside's defense they do link a counterpoint in the article.

Neither are not well written or worth reading and point 5 in the against article is so ******** I get angry, but I think the Bike and Brew festival is a positive event in the local cycling community that will be a great time, regardless if the title sponsor posts one negative article

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm a supporter of STC. I sat on the board of Access4Bikes with one of the founders of STC for two years when I lived in CA. Outside has given STC a ton of exposure and this is the first counter piece they've run to my knowledge. FYI STC is very appreciative of the exposure Outside has given their organization and they have a high opinion of the magazine. Now go drink some beer and ride some bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That article really got my feathers ruffled but I think the best reaction is to go ride a bike.

I would encourage others to go to the Bike-N-Brew. It will be fun. And it is happening now.

Mars

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    To my mind, they're a foe. This 1996 article (https://www.outsideonline.com/1836956/bomb-city-usa) cemented that opinion for me, and it appears they've no more interest in fairness now than they did back then. And yeah, if it's not obvious, I can indeed hold a grudge. I haven't picked up the magazine in over two decades.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    To my mind, they're a foe. This 1996 article (https://www.outsideonline.com/1836956/bomb-city-usa) cemented that opinion for me, and it appears they've no more interest in fairness now than they did back then. And yeah, if it's not obvious, I can indeed hold a grudge. I haven't picked up the magazine in over two decades.
    interesting read. Arrogant asshat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Interesting, never seen that one before.

Both pieces seem to be one-off editorials and I'd be surprised if Outside Magazine really had a stance on the issue.

I support the STC to a degree and i've given them money, but I have to admit that they have a few points in the Outdoor article. Specifically #2 and #4 (if true, which certainly seems to be the case). The guy writing the article could have tried to be less of a douche about it, but whatever.

saddlemeat
    None of the points are reality, the author is just a gasbag in an urban fashion mag.

I find it interesting that the most pious words come from those who have no real experience in wilderness, it's just a fantasy that's been planted in their head.

Meanwhile, the commercial packhorse operators ferry in people who are too weak/heavy to get in under their own human power so they can have a wilderness experience. Which is contrary to the spirit of the original act.

Wake up!
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    None of the points are reality, the author is just a gasbag in an urban fashion mag.

I find it interesting that the most pious words come from those who have no real experience in wilderness, it's just a fantasy that's been planted in their head.

Meanwhile, the commercial packhorse operators ferry in people who are too weak/heavy to get in under their own human power so they can have a wilderness experience. Which is contrary to the spirit of the original act.

Wake up!
    Preach!