Oso & Tree Spring Vandalism - REWARD- Mtbr.com
    Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015

Oso & Tree Spring Vandalism - REWARD

All,

Could everyone please keep an eye out for whoever it is that's removed dozens -if not hundreds- of rocks from Oso Corridor and Tree Spring trails since the beginning of this season? I'm confident that it's not USFS work as they've just been leaving holes in the trail. And there are far too many, far too conveniently-placed to be bears looking for grubs. There's been a fresh round of sanitizing within the past two weeks, so it's an ongoing issue.

I'm not sure if it's an effort to bring the trails down to their skill level or to improve their Strava standings, but either way the time and effort that went to degrading the trail while depriving the rest of us of long-standing challenges would have probably have been better spent on training. The trails in the Sandias are challenging and technical and ought to be appreciated as such. They're also heavily-traveled by hikers and equestrians and we, as the mountain bike community, do not need to see speeds and conflict increase for speed's sake (let alone an unearned win in an imaginary race).

Rock removal and corner-cutting is annoying in the Foothills and lame in Otero- but really disappointing and unacceptable (to say nothing of illegal) in the Sandias. And it needs to stop. Seriously- I'm willing to give $500 to whoever turns the culprit(s) in to the Sandia Ranger District if it results in a fine. Or maybe, if you know who's at fault, you just pull them aside and tell them to cut it out. Thanks,

Marc

I'll add $100 to that.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim View Post
    I'll add $100 to that.
    Awesome! Thanks Tim.
    Visit us at lindarets.com!

mtbr member
    Someone definitely has been busy dumbing down the trail.

Big rock on the right behind the wheel used to be on the other side of the trail.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This kind of crap is happening on all sorts of trails all over the place. Not limited to your trails in ABQ. Sucks for sure.

There is an old guy in Santa Fe (Alan Karp is his name. He is 87 years old) who does this stuff. We came across him recently about 2 miles from the trail head with a huge pry bar, big shovel, pick axe, and a large metal rack. Amazing that he got all of that crap up there at his age! Everyone knows who he is, including the USFS managers, the SF Country managers, and the City trails managers, but for some unknown reason, nobody is willing to stop him. He is making the trails in the South Dale Ball-Atalaya Mountain neighborhoods look like broom-swept sidewalks. Not good.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post

Big rock on the right behind the wheel used to be on the other side of the trail.
    Yup- I saw that yesterday. Like all of Oso, it was easily rideable by intermediate riders (maybe not every time or all in one day, but still) with a go-around for anyone not feeling it. It also served as a brake before the following switchback- now it'll be much easier to come into that far too hot.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    This kind of crap is happening on all sorts of trails all over the place. Not limited to your trails in ABQ. Sucks for sure.

There is an old guy in Santa Fe (Alan Karp is his name. He is 87 years old) who does this stuff. We came across him recently about 2 miles from the trail head with a huge pry bar, big shovel, pick axe, and a large metal rack. Amazing that he got all of that crap up there at his age! Everyone knows who he is, including the USFS managers, the SF Country managers, and the City trails managers, but for some unknown reason, nobody is willing to stop him. He is making the trails in the South Dale Ball-Atalaya Mountain neighborhoods look like broom-swept sidewalks. Not good.
    I hope that the community up there can build some consensus about stopping this sort of thing. There need to be accessible trails- but not everything can be a green circle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post

Having run, ridden, and hiked this trail for 20+ years, I'm very familiar with this specific section. Like many other trails, erosion and folks seeking alternate lines widen and move the tread. In this case, the center of the original trail tread was about 1.5 feet to the right of the rear wheel. Looking at it this morning, it is very obvious someone arranged the rocks about 3 feet behind the bike to create a jump on the original tread. Whether for Strava or just for fun, I've seen many such modifications on Oso. I did cut out some oak too - hope no one cries about that...

Stucco Bucket
    If they are getting removed for braaap, then well, I guess mystery solved. But if its trail sanitation like in the SFH, it must be hikers. Anyone who goes and rides Oso is a technical rider, and they are going up there for the tech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bg2lk15 View Post
    Having run, ridden, and hiked this trail for 20+ years, I'm very familiar with this specific section. Like many other trails, erosion and folks seeking alternate lines widen and move the tread. In this case, the center of the original trail tread was about 1.5 feet to the right of the rear wheel. Looking at it this morning, it is very obvious someone arranged the rocks about 3 feet behind the bike to create a jump on the original tread. Whether for Strava or just for fun, I've seen many such modifications on Oso. I did cut out some oak too - hope no one cries about that...
    Those rocks were arranged that way before the larger rock was removed. It was a natural jump, just required commitment to clear the large rock. No commitment required now.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Genius
    I ran into this old man spoken of for the first time in 1994ish. He does this EVERYWHERE. Everyone from USFS, Rangers, Open Space gave up trying to stop him years ago. He is very persistent.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12