NM riding with kids- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

NM riding with kids

Looking for a spot to road trip to and ride with my 13 and 10 year old boys. We live in Austin. The older one rides most of the Austin intermediate trails with little trouble. Hes good with small jumps, babyhead and toaster sized rocky climbs and descents, and small ledges. The younger one is good with flowy, mostly smooth trails, with rocks and drops not much bigger than a curb.

Is is there anything for them at Angelfire? Even if they can ride some of the trails there Id hate to have them be too slow and in the way of others bombing down fast. Santa Fe? Other options?

Also considering Bentonville, AR. Open to other suggestions a days drive or less from Austin.

Thsnks!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, most of our forests are closed right now due to drought.

Angel fire is open. There are a couple beginner trails that will work for your youngest, Easy Street, Combi, And maybe Sierra. There are probably also a couple intermediate that might work, but would work for your older child; lemonade, lower boogie, and Boulder dash (all the jumps can be rolled). None of those have blind spots and since there are always groms around, people seem really good about not blasting by little ones. What's nice about Angel Fire is there is riding for all levels.

I'm not sure around Santa Fe, but around here ABQ open space is still open. That encompassed the North Foothills, South Foothills, Gutierrez Canyon, and Golden trail systems. All have trails that would work for your kids (and more technical trails, too. But it is hot here now. Much nicer at 10k to 8k of Angel Fire.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just visited AF for the first time a couple of weekends ago, and I am a 47 year old novice rider. Here's my take from the newbie perspective, and not at all from the experienced AF regulars.

* It was very dry, therefore very loose with braking bumps abound on the more heavily traveled trails.

* My 16 year old got bored of Easy Street after the second lap on it, whereas I could have ridden it all day just to give myself before/after comparisons as my confidence was built. It's by no means a slow trail, it's merely not that technical. It's still steep and fast though. That said, we experienced a few other trails that brought big smiles to my face!

* Combi is different that Easy Street, but I would say equally doable. Sierra, for me....I caught it on the tail end of my first run of the day after starting off on Devinci's Code, and for me....the first run is always the warm up lap, so I'm always at my slowest, most cautious. Devinci's code was at the peak of my riding ability, if not above, so I was pretty rattled by the time I got to Sierra, so I was just trying to stay up by the time I got to Sierra. It's slower than Easy Street, but a little tighter. It was pretty loose by the time I went through there, after having had a days worth of racers through there.

* Lemonade was hell on my hands.....I didn't find it super technical, simply rough....and therefore very slow for me, as I couldn't handle it at speed.

* Lower Boogie was a blast! One of my favorites of the weekend. It's got features for the hucker, but not too hard for the newbie to negotiate.

* Boulder Dash was straight up a blast. It can be ridden fast, rolled, etc. I feel both your sons should be ok on that one. Always be aware of the fast guys (or in my case the medium guys) coming up from behind....just don't stop on the trail, pull off a little.

* Diesel, to me was the funnest trail of the weekend, and I had no issues on it, being a slower, very cautious rider. On the same run, we hit Duke and Duchess.....those were rough, I wouldn't recommend those for your younger son. I was pretty tired by then, but....I had to take it pretty slow.

I'm by no means an expert, but that was my take on the weekend spent up there.

mtbr member
    I think hungry hippos is a great trail for the youngsters. And lower supreme. Both blacks, but only because now the jumps. Hippos is a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chuychanga View Post
    Looking for a spot to road trip to and ride with my 13 and 10 year old boys. We live in Austin. The older one rides most of the Austin intermediate trails with little trouble. Hes good with small jumps, babyhead and toaster sized rocky climbs and descents, and small ledges. The younger one is good with flowy, mostly smooth trails, with rocks and drops not much bigger than a curb.

Is is there anything for them at Angelfire? Even if they can ride some of the trails there Id hate to have them be too slow and in the way of others bombing down fast. Santa Fe? Other options?

Also considering Bentonville, AR. Open to other suggestions a days drive or less from Austin.

Thsnks!
    I replied in the B'ville thread as well on the Southeast forum, but La Tierra in Santa Fe is a lot of fun for kids. Specifically the little park area by La Frijoles trail area (it's where the trail called 30 Footers is marked on MTBProject). Hustle and Flow will be fun for the older kid and probably fun for the 10 year old if he goes slow.

banned
    Jun 2018
    Have you looked at Ruidoso (Ski Apache), Cloudcroft, El Paso, etc? Pretty sure one of the resorts down south opened up a decent flow/jump line last year. I don't remember which one. In any case, both the Gila and Lincoln forests are currently open for business.

banned
    Jun 2018