New Mexico Bound Again... Angelfire, Pajarito, Purgatory?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

New Mexico Bound Again... Angelfire, Pajarito, Purgatory?

After a highly successful trip this Spring Break (and last Spring Break), we're heading to the Southwest for the summer for a couple of weeks. We know we'll be in Santa Fe for a few days in July (International Folk Art Festival... my wife's job) but then we're pretty open to getting out. I'll mainly be riding with my 10 year old who likes to flow and doesn't like to pedal, hah. Plans right now:

1) Definitely ride La Tierra (he likes the jump lines and Hustle and Flow).
    2) Going to get to do Windsor finally. It's always too wet over Spring Break.
    3) Probably going to try to get to Glorietta as well.
    4) The last piece is the one we can't figure out. We want to do some lift assist/downhill (probably only a single day due to needing to rent burlier bikes and pay for lifts) but can't decide where. We were going to just do Angelfire, but we're also considering heading up north to Durango/Telluride for a few days. I also saw the posts about Pajarito. So my question for those who like lift assisted riding: where would you go in the region if you had a single day? Keep in mind, I'm riding with a 10 year old who can ride black diamond, but he's not going to be hitting 10 foot gaps or anything.

Is the bike OK?
    Initially, with a ten year old who likes flow, I would definitely tell you got to Angelfire over all your other ideas. But if he can seriously ride black diamonds you may want to consider Pajarito. It's a lot closer to Santa Fe and while it doesn't have much flow, it has plenty of blacks without having to do 10 foot gaps. It also has plenty of North Shore style riding with log rides ground high and up and drops that start at just a couple feet and up to 10-20'. Note that they are only open on weekends and the lift tickets are only $29 ($26 if bought online in advance).

Stucco Bucket
    Coming from someone with a young rider, Id say Angel Fire is a better bet. Even some of the blacks up there are doable by my kiddo on a hardtail. Pajarito is much more natural and steep. Youll probably be doing the extremity blue trails in pajarito the whole time.
    This summerfest at pajarito will be my kiddos first time up there. Im guessing we will be doing those trails. They arent a lot of fun, mostly scenic and flat. Everything in AF is engineered and predictable.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Angelfire, simply because you'll be renting, and you can do that right on the mountain, which is not an option at Pajarito to my knowledge.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Angelfire, simply because you'll be renting, and you can do that right on the mountain, which is not an option at Pajarito to my knowledge.
    Joe, Pajarito now has a fleet of Rocky Mountain rental bikes for the summer:
    https://www.pajarito.ski/bike-rentals/