New to ABQ- Mtbr.com

Thread: New to ABQ

Rocks belong

New to ABQ

Moving to ABQ late May... coming from Denver. Looking for an MTB community.

Preference is for chunky, technical trail riding. Also looking for a group to get in some shuttle days at Pajarito and Angle Fire this summer.

I'm on a slack, 6" F/S 29er if that matters.

I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Plenty of terrain and way less crowded than the front range. Did you go to school at VT? If so, not as many roots as Pandapas but plenty of rock and varied terrain to satisfy. Welcome to Abq.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Did you go to school at VT? If so, not as many roots as Pandapas but plenty of rock and varied terrain to satisfy. Welcome to Abq.
    Thanks - and I am a Hokie!

Any good riding groups around here?

mtbr member
    The best place to ride closest to ABQ is Tijeras. Id be more then happy to show you around once you get down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tagging onto this thread as another soon-to-be Front Range escapee. I have a fairly good feel for the vibe of ABQ (for a non-resident) from having done a lot of work at Kirtland - but very little about the communities on the Eastern slope of the Sandias which we're now considering. I work from home and home school, so "jobs and schools" don't matter to me but I do need good broadband internet (and not satellite based). ABQ is about as big a town as I'd want to be in, but prefer the idea of being on the other side of the range for a smaller feel with "big town" stuff 30 - 60 min away. Where I live now (COS) I can hit mile after mile of great trails literally from my driveway - that's going to be hard to give up but not a deal killer. As we get closer to actually picking our next home, I'l bring the family and spend a lot of time there again. In the meantime, give me a snapshot of the towns east of Sandia Range like Tijeras, Sandia Park, Cedar Crest, Edgewood, or any others I hadn't mentioned.

FWIW, we are NOT the kind of people looking for a Starbucks on every corner, 5 star dining, hustle/bustle of constant activities, etc. Pretty big of self-sustaining and the outdoors and a small circle of friends.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I live about 9 miles south of Tijeras in a bedroom community of Tranquillo Pines. 7600 ft. alt. 30 mi from the middle of Albq. From my drive, 10 min. by bike away from several trail heads with everything you want from mild to wild and chunky. And all the miles you want. Be glad to show you the goods.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Thanks - and I am a Hokie!

Any good riding groups around here?
    AMBA is a local MTB group. Not much tech and chunk happening there but a bunch of good people and riders. However there are plenty of Chunk and Tech lover here. Three Bottles and Otero sound like what you would like. And there's plenty more like them. Just south of Tijeras. Tijeras Ranger Station can hook you up with maps.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    AMBA is a local MTB group. Not much tech and chunk happening there but a bunch of good people and riders. However there are plenty of Chunk and Tech lover here. Three Bottles and Otero sound like what you would like. And there's plenty more like them. Just south of Tijeras. Tijeras Ranger Station can hook you up with maps.
    Awesome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    We're going to make a little trip to the area right after Memorial Day. Sadly I won't be bringing my bikes with me THIS TIME, but have another trip planned just for riding sometime later.

I have a question for those of you with younger kids: What are some better playground parks where it's common to see other kids? We're going to be spending a fair bit of time checking out general areas on the east side of town (Tramway generally) and particularly on the east side of the Sandias. My 5 yr old is going to get bored with that fast and need to burn some energy like all 5 yr olds. If we can break up her day with time at a playground, short/easy hikes (<3 miles) it goes a long way to making her trip more pleasant and by extension ours too.

When we come back with the bikes, my wife will be more interested in taking kiddo to the zoo, nature parks, water parks, that kind of thing while I'm out exploring trails.

Thanks in advance folks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hey I'll finally be a hokie in Spring 2019! But first, I'm headed to Socorro (1 hour away from ABQ) in less than 2 weeks for a co-op dealing with RF things at the Very Large Array! Will definitely be bringing my 29er hardtail with me.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_K View Post
    Hey I'll finally be a hokie in Spring 2019! But first, I'm headed to Socorro (1 hour away from ABQ) in less than 2 weeks for a co-op dealing with RF things at the Very Large Array! Will definitely be bringing my 29er hardtail with me.
    Enjoy your time in Blacksburg - it'll fly by!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Me and 2 AZ buddies headed to Angel Fire this week. Bummer Santa Fe forest is closed so will need to fill 3 full days between AF and Taos/ etc.. 06HokieMTB - moved on from the HD3? I still have mine - will be riding it this week in NM.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by suprajayaz View Post
    Me and 2 AZ buddies headed to Angel Fire this week. Bummer Santa Fe forest is closed so will need to fill 3 full days between AF and Taos/ etc.. 06HokieMTB - moved on from the HD3? I still have mine - will be riding it this week in NM.
    Pajarito is having a their HUGE Summerfest party (https://www.pajarito.ski/events/summ...rec=1528534800) this Saturday with lift served biking Saturday and Sunday. You should hit Pajarito Saturday, Angel Fire Sunday, and South Boundary trail between Angel Fire & Taos on your other day. Pajarito day passes are just $29 ($26 online) and we'll be having a free dual slalom race during Summerfest. PS: My sister's a Hokie!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    nealpederson - thx for the tip on Summerfest.. Looks like a great time - we will consider adding that to our trip since we have Sat open and were orig thinking of riding Winsor & others in SF. With forest closures, we need to replan our late afternoon Wed ride along with Sat. Plan to ride SBT on Friday using the shuttle service from Taos.