March riding options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

March riding options

Iím thinking about driving from IL to Vegas in March and bringing a bike and taking an extra couple days on the way there and way back to do some riding. Needing some recommendations for some good places to ride and camp, Iíll be in Vegas 10-14th. General route across I-40 but not stuck on that. Was hoping to hit up some hike in hot springs too so doubling up activities would be awesome.

saddlemeat
    Too early to say for many places. The Zuni Mountains are 10 mi. south of I-40 at exit 33, but don't normally open until mid to late April. The High Desert Trails at Gallup, 2 mi. north of exit 22, may or may not be open depending on snow melt conditions. Check back in early March.
    I ride with the best dogs.

hop hop hop
    In the Albuquerque area: the Sandia Mountains are pretty much on I-40 and if it doesn't snow much will possibly be rideable- and I love it out there. 45 minutes from I-40 you get White Mesa and Red Mesa which are usually rideable (except immediately after rain/snow) and have epic scenery, and Red Mesa is challenging like a Jeff Lenosky type thing and best with a local to help you find the trail. And just over an hour off I-40 gets you to Santa Fe with several trail systems mostly not rideable during winter months but their La Tierra system gets good sun exposure and is potentially good to go all year (depending on snowfall). like above you'd have to check back closer to your departure date.