Los Alamos rideable this week?- Mtbr.com
    Perpetually Intermediate

Los Alamos rideable this week?

Coming from Taos on Thursday 5/2 for a morning work meeting...wondering about an afternoon ride. Is Quemazon/Guaje Ridge dry? Other suggestions? How are conditions overall? Thanks.
    RSD Wildcat 27.5+
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Raleigh townie turned Gravel Grinder

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck80442 View Post
    Coming from Taos on Thursday 5/2 for a morning work meeting...wondering about an afternoon ride. Is Quemazon/Guaje Ridge dry? Other suggestions? How are conditions overall? Thanks.
    Yeah! All the trails around town are in great shape. There's some trails on the far southwest side (between Camp May Road & the Jemez) that still have a lot of trees down but not all of them. Quemazon is good to go. I'm not sure about the top of Guaje Ridge but at least the lower half and Cabra are fine. Camp May trail (next to the road to Pajarito) has been cleared and is in good shape.

If you are still hear at the end of the day meet our bike club in the high school stadium parking lot at 5:15 for a 5:30 group ride. We'll probably have 2-3 rides at different levels.

Perpetually Intermediate
    Thanks! I'll have to head home prior to the group ride, but appreciate the invite.
    RSD Wildcat 27.5+
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

Perpetually Intermediate
    Thanks for the input...I "rode" Quemazon, which was totally clear except for one tree all the way up to the Guaje junction. The first mile of Guaje was snowy in places with 20 or so fallen trees requiring dismount, but after that was a blast all the way to the bottom of Cabra. Epic scenery and big views and big variety for sure. I messed up the exit and ended up patching together some roads and random trails back to the Aquatic Center. Will be back for sure.
    RSD Wildcat 27.5+
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck80442 View Post
    Thanks for the input...I "rode" Quemazon, which was totally clear except for one tree all the way up to the Guaje junction. The first mile of Guaje was snowy in places with 20 or so fallen trees requiring dismount, but after that was a blast all the way to the bottom of Cabra. Epic scenery and big views and big variety for sure. I messed up the exit and ended up patching together some roads and random trails back to the Aquatic Center. Will be back for sure.
    That's a big ride! I figured there would be some snow up high. Guaje Ridge is in the Jemez Mountain Run in a few weeks so hopefully it's clear of snow and trees by then. The best time to ride it is just after the run because it's all clear and packed in from all the runners.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd bump this thread rather than starting a new one. Passing through next week and have time for one ride. Never been but of course have heard of Guaje and Quemazon. And of course being from the other sunshine state just to the west know all about the fire and what happens after.

So, how's it riding and is it already overgrown? I've got to keep the wifeymeter from red lining but we have all day before heading to Taos. I hear S. Boundary won't be good to go until mid June so probably heading onward to Angel Fire.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Thought I'd bump this thread rather than starting a new one. Passing through next week and have time for one ride. Never been but of course have heard of Guaje and Quemazon. And of course being from the other sunshine state just to the west know all about the fire and what happens after.

So, how's it riding and is it already overgrown? I've got to keep the wifeymeter from red lining but we have all day before heading to Taos. I hear S. Boundary won't be good to go until mid June so probably heading onward to Angel Fire.
    Riding in Los Alamos right now is about as good as it gets! Guaje Ridge and Quemazon are in killer shape. They are not overgrown right now although with all the rain we're getting it could be in a month or so. Summerfest and opening day at Pajarito is this Saturday (6/8) if you want lift served riding. Either that or you can take advantage of free shuttles from town to Pajarito to get you going on Guaje Ridge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Riding in Los Alamos right now is about as good as it gets! Guaje Ridge and Quemazon are in killer shape. They are not overgrown right now although with all the rain we're getting it could be in a month or so. Summerfest and opening day at Pajarito is this Saturday (6/8) if you want lift served riding. Either that or you can take advantage of free shuttles from town to Pajarito to get you going on Guaje Ridge.
    Ah so, I will have to look into the shuttle. We'll be riding on Monday. Yes, quite the wet spring in the SW. Last year this time we were in forest closure. Probably the same for lots of NM as well. Thanks for the beta!

Is the bike OK?
    Ah so, I will have to look into the shuttle. We'll be riding on Monday. Yes, quite the wet spring in the SW. Last year this time we were in forest closure. Probably the same for lots of NM as well. Thanks for the beta!
    Sorry but the free county shuttle is only running Saturday for Summerfest (lots of beer drinking going on there!). If you're pretty fit I'd suggest climbing Quemazon & Pipeline and then descending Guaje Ridge to make a big loop out of it.

mtbr member
    Sorry but the free county shuttle is only running Saturday for Summerfest (lots of beer drinking going on there!). If you're pretty fit I'd suggest climbing Quemazon & Pipeline and then descending Guaje Ridge to make a big loop out of it.
    That was the plan anyway. Thanks again for the intel.

mtbr member
    Guaje is a ripping descent. Gotta say though Quemazon to Pipeline is a burly climb. Next time I will figure out a shuttle to Pajirito!

Is the bike OK?
    Guaje is a ripping descent. Gotta say though Quemazon to Pipeline is a burly climb. Next time I will figure out a shuttle to Pajirito!
    Ha, yeah it is! I'll do that climb maybe once a season but prefer shuttling most of the time. Next time you should try shuttling to Pajarito, climbing Pajarito, and going off the backside down Pajarito Canyon, Camp May Trail, and Dickless.

mtbr member
    Ha, yeah it is! I'll do that climb maybe once a season but prefer shuttling most of the time. Next time you should try shuttling to Pajarito, climbing Pajarito, and going off the backside down Pajarito Canyon, Camp May Trail, and Dickless.
    I'm in. Much of our good riding right now is still closed for helicopter logging/fuel reduction. Some of the whiners in my town need to come ride here.

I'm curious, having driven over from Jemez Springs and then to check out the caldera (I'm a geologist), what's the deal with all the downed trees? Was there a major wind event this spring?

Is the bike OK?
    I'm in. Much of our good riding right now is still closed for helicopter logging/fuel reduction. Some of the whiners in my town need to come ride here.

I'm curious, having driven over from Jemez Springs and then to check out the caldera (I'm a geologist), what's the deal with all the downed trees? Was there a major wind event this spring?
    Yeah, in February we had a 100 year Bomb Cyclone event that just took out tons of live trees in the Jemez! We're used to lots of falling dead trees from the fires but the extremely high wind unfortunately took out more live trees than dead trees because their branches made for better sails to pick up the wind. In the Los Alamos area the worst hit areas were on the southwest side as you head towards the Jemez. People are still clearing trees from trails in that area.