Las Cruces riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Las Cruces riding?

My wife is looking at Las Cruces for a Thanksgiving trip. Curious about the riding in the area? I've found a few youtube videos and some articles, but most of them are a little dated.

My wife and oldest son like easy XC style trails (even fire roads and gravel grinders are the style they enjoy). My younger son and I prefer DH/Freeride style with jumps, drops and tech..

Any suggestions for areas to ride as well as other things to do in the area appreciated.

Best,
    Boyd
    '

mtbr member
    Hi Boyd,

As you can see, this forum is pretty dead. I live in Albuquerque and have only ridden in Las Cruces one time, not because it wasn't enjoyable but because I don't get down there very often.

I road the North Dona Ana area, which I will link here:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/118...-ana-loop-ride

The area has a little bit of everything, and I enjoyed it. Hopefully others will chime in.

Best,
    Patrick
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

Hey, wait up!
    Cruces has plenty of fun, challenging riding. The Dona Anas and North Dona Anas offer nice opportunities for hours worth of good desert adventures. If you have time, El Paso has additional riding options. MTB Project has a good inventory of the Dona Ana trails. We have a strong and supportive riding community that can help with additional guidance if you find yourself in our fine town. This is a Strava link to one of my regular routes that features climbing and general rolling around. /dh

Additional: Here is a link showing the relationship between the North and South Dona Ana trail systems.

Trail pic featuring a visiting racer
    Las Cruces riding?-hth.jpg
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks so much for the replies! We are regulars to New Mexico, usually visiting 1-2 times a year over the last 10 years, but generally spend most of our time up North. We've seen some gorgeous pics of the LC area and figure that it will be a nice place to visit in late November and are excited to experience a different part of the state.

Hey, wait up!

Recent video of some Las Cruces South Dona Ana Trails

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a blast!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So I know that the governor has issued shelter in place orders. Does this shut down MTB completely?

We have a trip scheduled to Las Cruces, NM over Thanksgiving (this was our alternative to traveling to see extended family). We are staying in the middle of nowhere and intend to make a single trip to grocery store to stock up on provisions. We are willing to stay at the house (it does have a pool and such) the entirety of our stay, but we really came to do some biking and hiking (socially distanced, not with anyone outside my wife and children).

We will abide by local practices, I guess I'm curious what those practices look like on the ground (I realize that Las Cruces may look very different from Santa Fe/Taos where we usually go).

Hey, wait up!
    At present, it looks like the BLM trails will remain open. They stayed open last time. So long as folks remain responsible and donít draw unnecessary attention or groups riding should be ok.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post
    At present, it looks like the BLM trails will remain open. They stayed open last time. So long as folks remain responsible and donít draw unnecessary attention or groups riding should be ok.
    Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    My wife is looking at Las Cruces for a Thanksgiving trip. Curious about the riding in the area? I've found a few youtube videos and some articles, but most of them are a little dated.

My wife and oldest son like easy XC style trails (even fire roads and gravel grinders are the style they enjoy). My younger son and I prefer DH/Freeride style with jumps, drops and tech..

Any suggestions for areas to ride as well as other things to do in the area appreciated.

Best,
    Boyd
    '
    I cannot stress strongly enough that coming to New Mexico now is not a good plan. Especially in the Las Cruces area where the COVID numbers are very high. The health care system in New Mexico is very compromised and if something were to happen to you or a family member while on vacation here would only add to our problems. Please postpone your trip to New Mexico.

As New Mexicans we are asked to shelter in place and only do what is essential and necessary. While I will ride my bike during this critical situation, I already live here. I curtailing the type of terrain I ride to make my overall risk as low as possible. I would not go to Taos or ABQ or anywhere else outside of my hometown to ride. Why? Because its the responsible thing to do and the Government of New Mexico requires it of me.

Coming on a vaction to NM right now is not worth the risks in my estimation. And it will cause more animosity towards tourists which has been inflamed during the pandemic. Thank you for your consideration.