La Tierra- Mtbr.com

Thread: La Tierra

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

La Tierra

Been going to this spot pretty regularly and kinda just taking random trails. Anyone got some good recommendations as to what order to take the trails? More often than not I find myself doing way more climbing lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    If you park your car or ride to the trailhead, ride around, and finish at the trailhead you will always climb just as much as you descend. I ride La Tierra frequently, here is what I like to do (I'll use the La Tierra trail intersection numbers from the map as best I can): Park at the Frijoles trailhead and warm up with a few laps in the trash pit jump park. Then climb up (26-29-9 or 25-11-10 or 9), then go down and up some of the side trails to access Hustle and Flow. Hustle and Flow can also be accessed by skipping the side trails and going directly from 10-9-8-7. Hustle and Flow is somewhere over there by 8/7/1, I am not sure if it is marked on the trail maps because it is a relatively new trail and the maps may not have been updated. Then ride down Hustle and Flow to the 5/13 area. Climb up 13-12. Take a right at 12 (or for a bonus take a left and come back down the "technical trail" that ends back at 13, there is a cool wood drop in the beginning then lots of small tight rollers and doubles) and ride to the intersection where you can take a left to 15. At 15, keep riding straight over to the 17/19/20/21 area. Somewhere over there there is a "technical trail" with some big roller features, lots of fun. I am not sure if this is marked, it may be a new addition and not on the maps yet. Ride the whoop di doo features then climb back up 19/21. You can then take a right to access the "wee whoops", some more fun little rollers, I think it is something like 21-23. Then I like to climb back up 24-25-26-29 and take a right to come back down the wood drop line (29-28) and end back at the parking lot. Maybe finish with a couple more runs in the jump park. I think the map is not fully updated, and some of these trails may actually be numbered. My description is probably confusing, but LT is small enough that you can just ride around and explore to find these trails, that is how I found them. I think this route gets you the best bang for your buck in this trail system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I always like to make sure I hit hustle and flow when I ride. The maps do need some updating. I will be hitting it this Friday again so I will take this info and check it out. I usually have been starting at the cuchara trailhead and going from there. I have really been liking these trails, I used to go to Dale Ball all the time untill I found out about this place. I may need to go back there again soon. I like LT cause you can enjoy every level of riding. I feel Dale Ball is a little more intermediate and the friends I have taken for the first time aren't very amused by the end of the ride lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    They aren't amused as in it is too easy or too hard? Dale Ball North is kind of like La Tierra but slightly more technical. If you want some steepier chunkier stuff it exists in Dale Ball South. And there are plenty of options outside LT and DB for steepier and chunkier. Raven's Ridge/Rio en Medio in the SFNF and the trails at Glorieta Camps are my personal favorites.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I was told they were too much climbing, I have only really done the north side of the Dale ball more than once. I was taken to the South and that initial climb was pry my 3rd time ever on a mountain bike. I was not enjoying that ride. It would be nice to have some riding friends for my Friday at La Tierra, I'm trying to get a buddy of mine to start joining me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Id be down to join you for a La Tierra ride next week, I usually god after work around 6:30 or 7 PM. I would say this or next weekend but I have friends visiting to ride Glorieta, Angel Fire and SFNF.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Iv been making it a point to go on Fridays after work with weather permitting. I get out at 430 so I'm usually there around 445

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Great ride today