How are the winters in NM?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

How are the winters in NM?

So I'm from Massachusetts and I absolutely hate it here, it's expensive, the people suck, and the state government sucks. But the real icing on the cake for me is the winters. As I've gotten older I just can't stand them. I don't necessarily hate winter, but the ones here are just too long. We are guaranteed December-March to be a wet, cold mess. Even October and November can be a wash some years. We usually get over 60in. of snow a year and once the winter is under way 40 degrees feels like a heatwave. I'm looking for a change. I've considered a bunch of different states and as of right now NM is on the top of my list. I'm looking somewhere in the area just south Santa Fe. I'm looking for a nice nice mild winter where I can still go out and ride my mtb or atv and go shooting without being soaked and freezing. Seems like you guys usually have daytime temps in the 40s and sometimes 50s which is fine by me. But I'm just looking for a little more input from people who live there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    In general, our weather is much more mild than what you are used to dealing with. However, the northern part of NM (Santa Fe, Taos, Los Alamos) can receive legit winter weather and it can get quite cold. Also, late winter and spring winds are significant and a fact of life for us. Parts of southwestern NM are mild year round. You can pretty much ride in Las Cruces most days of the year. In fact, we've yet to have snow in the lower elevations and have had pretty mild temperatures this season. Currently, we have light, misting rain and will likely have a high in the 50's. However, head north a bit to Silver City and you have mud and overflowing creeks at lower elevations and several inches of snow in the mountains.

New Mexico is a state where the weather varies significantly from location to location. Of course this means the terrain and trails vary significantly as well. You can have sandy suffer feats, rocky technical runs, flowing high desert single track and alpine adventures with just a couple of hours of driving.

It looks like you are checking out the Santa Fe-Albuquerque area? Santa Fe is higher up and will generally have more weather and be colder. Albuquerque has a robust mountain biking and road biking community and many trails. However, it's a big city and in recent years, can be a pain when it comes to commuting. (Caveat: I live in a small town so my opinion is highly biased.) Also, the Santa Fe area can be quite expensive to live in. Both places have much to offer, but I'm a weak ass desert rat that prefers the southwest during the winter.

In summary, its mild compared to where you currently live but the weather varies significantly and depends on location.

mtbr member

Agree with what Mogollon says except ABQ traffic unless you live on the NorthWest side of town. I moved to Albuquerque from SoCal almost two years ago and really love NM. It's a beautiful state you just have to know where to go. We do get our snow days but generally don't last for very long. But in general the weather is very bipolar here and depends were you are in the state. And yes Santa Fe is expensive to live in especially for what it is. The best part though is your usually only a 5 hour drive to epic riding ie Sedona, Moab, and Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm not looking to live in the city. I like my peace and quiet. I'd like to be within 30mins of a city so it's fairly convenient if I need something. The reason I was leaning toward the Santa fe area over Albuquerque is from what I read Albuquerque is pretty rough. Sounds like there's a lot of crime and poverty there. The summer temps also seem pretty oppressive. I figured if I was somewhere between the two cities it would split the difference haha But you guys know better than me. Any towns/counties I should be looking at. I don't have my mind set on Santa fe

mtbr member
    The summer temps aren't bad compared to places like Arizona or California. But I wouldn't say Santa Fe is that much cooler during the summer. Yes, the crime is bad in ABQ but it's bad in the whole state. If you can afford Santa Fe I say do it. I would also recommend Tijeras which is my favorite place to bike and is about 15-20 minutes from ABQ. Far away enough from people but still close enough to civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    The summer temps aren't bad compared to places like Arizona or California. But I wouldn't say Santa Fe is that much cooler during the summer. Yes, the crime is bad in ABQ but it's bad in the whole state. If you can afford Santa Fe I say do it. I would also recommend Tijeras which is my favorite place to bike and is about 15-20 minutes from ABQ. Far away enough from people but still close enough to civilization.

I don't mind the heat, but the NM heat will take some getting used to. In Massachusetts we don't see more than 5-10 days per year of temps 90 degrees or higher. A lot of places in NM average over 90 degrees 3 months of the year. I did some research on Tijeras and it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I'm going to be coming to NM in the spring and I want to get together a list of places to check out. So far I have Pecos, Rio Rancho, and Tijeras

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    if you could take the summers las cruces has about a gazillion acres of land to explore all around...hundreds of miles of jeep roads...and its way cheaper than either sante fe or alb not to mention our green chile is way better too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The trails in Las Cruces are not half bad either. The DA's are easy to access and can be ridden nearly all year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    if you could take the summers las cruces has about a gazillion acres of land to explore all around...hundreds of miles of jeep roads...and its way cheaper than either sante fe or alb not to mention our green chile is way better too!
    I hear you guys have a new wall going up in your area sometime soon hahahahahaha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1106 View Post
    I don't mind the heat, but the NM heat will take some getting used to. In Massachusetts we don't see more than 5-10 days per year of temps 90 degrees or higher. A lot of places in NM average over 90 degrees 3 months of the year. I did some research on Tijeras and it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I'm going to be coming to NM in the spring and I want to get together a list of places to check out. So far I have Pecos, Rio Rancho, and Tijeras
    I would say stay away from Rio Rancho. It's cheap but not many rideable trails nearby. The closest would be White Mesa which is fun but not as a close main trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I would say stay away from Rio Rancho. It's cheap but not many rideable trails nearby. The closest would be White Mesa which is fun but not as a close main trail.

Which areas have the most good riding?

mtbr member
    Here's a quick video of what the trails are like in Tijeras.

As for Pecos I know they have some great trails but have only been there once for the BME race. And some of that was on private property. And your close to Santa Fe from there too which is nice.

Hey, wait up!
    New Mexico's great, if you got a decent job - or a sweet lottery payout. 8-)

I'm happy here. No plans to move anywhere else (except maybe New Zealand).

~~Sent from the Southern NM province.

I ride with tools
    So far I have Pecos, Rio Rancho, and Tijeras
    You don't want to live in Pecos. Inbred locals, no riding, and no services. Tijeras is your best bet. Also check out Cerrillos - close to Santa Fe and some good trails at Cerrillos Hills and Galisteo Basin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the input guys. Is the job market that tough there? I hear different things

Hey, wait up!
    But the Pecos itself is a spectacular place to spend time.
    How are the winters in NM?-peek.jpg
    How are the winters in NM?-peek1.jpg

Hey, wait up!
    Jobs: It depends, of course.

What do you want to do?
    What would you do?
    What do you want to make?
    What would you have to make?

~smile~

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Well my wife is finishing up school to be an accountant, so I think she will be able to find a decent job in the city. Me,I run a nightcrew at a grocery store now. But I used to work construction which is what I would prefer to do if I moved there. It's hard to say how much I would need to make because the pay and cost of living there are lower than here. We are very good with our money and live well below our means. We keep things pretty simple and bills to a minimum. I'm assuming we would rent a house or appt until we learn the area and decide where we want to buy a house. We have 30k saved up now, so I think we would be in good shape to get a decent house from the prices I've seen online.

Stucco Bucket
    suck it up and do Albuquerque. You can get a lycra kit and lap the foothills with your strava app every afternoon.

Hey, wait up!
    Those seem like realistic expectations and goals. You should be able to do quite well in the Land of Enchantment.

/best

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    regardless of where you end up here,expect some degree of culture shock...alb is sort of part of america but the rest of the state sort of isnt...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post
    Those seem like realistic expectations and goals. You should be able to do quite well in the Land of Enchantment.

/best
    I hope so. Truthfully I don't care what I do. If it pays the bills I'm happy. We all have to put in our 40hrs a week (or more). What I care about is enjoying my life when I'm not a work. And spending 4 months of the year sitting in the house in Massachusetts just isn't cutting it for me anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    regardless of where you end up here,expect some degree of culture shock...alb is sort of part of america but the rest of the state sort of isnt...
    Honestly it would be nice to enjoy any culture at all. Massachusetts is completely void of it. Unless you consider being loud obnoxious and ignorant to be culture.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Elevation is the main thing. Depending on time of year you can slide up and down the Rio Grande Valley from southern CO to El Paso--which has some serious technical ST, btw.

If you click on some spots you will see temp and precip curves for the year:

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8009312

The summer precip is called the monsoon and can get pretty extreme, especially at higher elevations.

The bad news is that, in general, NM is lagging the recovery across most of the country.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerq...wallethub.html

I moved to Abq this fall. Everyone keeps telling me how mild this winter is compared to most....but is that really true?

I love it. Biking/running every day, and the days are already getting longer again.

There's been a few morning commutes in the 20's, but that's still pretty mellow for the dead of winter, imho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah, we've had a pretty mild winter. A good amount of moisture in many areas but pretty mild temperatures for the most part. Cannot say that's the case North of Albuquerque however.

Agree with the economic concerns. The state is pretty impoverished, but I consistently run into generally good, hard working folks who tend to let you be. It's a live and let live place IMHO. Be prepared for a sedate pace; however, as life is not nearly as "fast" down here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon View Post
    Yeah, we've had a pretty mild winter. A good amount of moisture in many areas but pretty mild temperatures for the most part. Cannot say that's the case North of Albuquerque however.

Agree with the economic concerns. The state is pretty impoverished, but I consistently run into generally good, hard working folks who tend to let you be. It's a live and let live place IMHO. Be prepared for a sedate pace; however, as life is not nearly as "fast" down here.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. A peaceful place to do my own thing with my family. Massachusetts is a zoo, I feel out of place here. Whenever I go to the more laid back states in New England like Vermont or Maine I feel much more in tune with the relaxed pace of life. I would actually love to live in Vermont if it wasn't for the winters up there. You guys talk about how the mornings are in the 20's in Albuquerque but in the winter here we can go weeks without temperatures getting above the 20s. Two winters ago we got 96" of snow.... and between storms the morning temperatures we somewhere between -5 and -15 degrees. We had storms so bad the state was doing driving bans. If you got caught on the road it was a $500 fine. In 2008 we had an ice storm that left half of central Massachusetts without power for over a week. So 20s at night and 40s and 50s during the day sound like heaven to me.

Stucco Bucket
    We have a shocking amount of property crime here. Our citizens will steal any and everything. Even your holiday decorations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    We have a shocking amount of property crime here. Our citizens will steal any and everything. Even your holiday decorations.
    It's that bad? That's really frustrating. Even when you live outside of the city?

mtbr member
    Lol... I did catch a lady trying to steal my lights at 8'clock on Christmas eve.
    The Owl is a smart guy...don't promote. It is different here but if ride mountain bikes, you will dig it.

There is area called Placitas, between ABQ (closers to ABQ) and Santa Fe. Lots of trails close by and around a 100 mile radius.

Your wife can commute to town and you can ride all day and get home to take the trash out.

Peace
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's that bad? That's really frustrating. Even when you live outside of the city?
    no,its not that bad in cruces at least,sorry to offend any duke city residents but albuquerque sucks balls,too much traffic,junkies and meth heads on every corner,tons of crime and the mexican food sucks!!

mtbr member
    no,its not that bad in cruces at least,sorry to offend any duke city residents but albuquerque sucks balls,too much traffic,junkies and meth heads on every corner,tons of crime and the mexican food sucks!!
    No doubt crime here is worse than average, far worse. Murder is only slightly wise but everything ride mashes it the second most dangerous city. That being said, like most cities, the violent crime it is localized to a few neighborhoods (though that seems to be changing a bit with these kids), and property crimes are as well. Outside the city, murder is lower than average, but property crimes and violent crime are slightly higher than average, nationally.

While I have been burgled twice, it was when I lived in a worse neighborhood, I don't really feel unsafe here overall, and love the weather and all the almost city like amenities. But then I'm an urban person from birth. What amazes me is the 4 major trail networks within 25 minutes of my house and I can walk to a great neighborhood to shop, eat and drink in. Plus all the great trails within shot of a weekend trip.

So yeah. Crime is bad, but it isn't like some apocalyptic world or anything.

Don't know about the Mexican food, but I love a plethora of New Mexican restaurants in the city.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    sorry,gotta rep for the mesilla valley and hatch green chile,best in the state!

by the way,it was 60 today,went riding with nothing more than a windbreaker,but shorts and a tshirt aside from that..60's all week and it just rained so actual traction on the trails in cruces!

Stucco Bucket
    We buy our chile from down there, and our riding trumps the organs any day. Food here is pretty good. We do hit up Chicos tacos though when we are down south.
    Crime is bad in all the outlying areas. Tijeras, cedar crest, even placitas. No its not chicago, but dont move here thinking its a nice peaceful desert town. Dont leave your gym bag in the car while you ride, in fact dont leave shit. Our trailheads have shattered glass in the parking lots. Pretty much all of them. Placitas, WM, footies, certainly otero.

On a good note, you can get a concealed carry permit for ~$120 plus classes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    We buy our chile from down there, and our riding trumps the organs any day. Food here is pretty good. We do hit up Chicos tacos though when we are down south.
    Crime is bad in all the outlying areas. Tijeras, cedar crest, even placitas. No its not chicago, but dont move here thinking its a nice peaceful desert town. Dont leave your gym bag in the car while you ride, in fact dont leave shit. Our trailheads have shattered glass in the parking lots. Pretty much all of them. Placitas, WM, footies, certainly otero.

On a good note, you can get a concealed carry permit for ~$120 plus classes.
    Or I can open carry with just a New Mexico drivers license from what I've read. But the way you guys talk makes it sound kind of rough there. I come from a town where we don't lock our cars or houses. Property crime has gone up more recently though, as heroin is getting out of control here. When you say crime what are we talking? Like hardcore burglaries and assaults or just stuff that being smart like not leaving valuables in your car and having an alarm in your house can prevent.

mtbr member

Or I can open carry with just a New Mexico drivers license from what I've read. But the way you guys talk makes it sound kind of rough there. I come from a town where we don't lock our cars or houses. Property crime has gone up more recently though, as heroin is getting out of control here. When you say crime what are we talking? Like hardcore burglaries and assaults or just stuff that being smart like not leaving valuables in your car and having an alarm in your house can prevent.
    Lots of property crime. My house was broken into last year a week before Christmas. Not to mention tons of mailboxes that are locked being broken into. Despite this I have never felt unsafe and I generally live in a good part of town. I came from Southern California and I've had several instances of my car being broke into so nothing new. And I do like Albuquerque it's a big small town feeling. And like I said before there's no such thing as traffic here unless you live on the Westside.

Last edited by Andrew8404; 01-04-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Hey, wait up!
    We buy our chile from down there, and our riding trumps the organs any day. Food here is pretty good. We do hit up Chicos tacos though when we are down south. ...
    You don't ride the Organs. Sheesh, tourists.

Hey, wait up!
    Don't be unduly put off by the crime talk. Crime is mostly an Albuquerque concern, including at the trailheads. It is pretty much crime of opportunity. Head's up, secure your stuff, watch were you park, and get a home monitoring system. I lived in Albq. for 12 years. I had an unlocked beater bike swiped off my front porch, had a house broken into that I had just moved out of, and had two vehicle smash and grabs at night - one downtown and one outside a Central avenue bar. Theft from hotel parking lots is also an issue.

Other than that, I have had no crime issues anywhere in the state. The good points and good riding far outweigh the negatives, IMO.

Stucco Bucket
    You guys must not get ABQ news channels down there. Watch the news for a week and tell me theres no crime issues.

Hey, wait up!
    Here's a nice report on what Winter riding is like in El Paso, just south of Las Cruces.

A West Texas Winter - Pinkbike

And in Summer, sweet, green mountain trails with trees and such are less than two hours away.

Hey, wait up!
    You guys must not get ABQ news channels down there. Watch the news for a week and tell me theres no crime issues.
    OK, fine. Albuquerque sux. <smile>

I will note that I no longer live there and have no designs on returning other than for the occasional visit.

Albq. does have some nice breweries. And the Frontier is a fave stop for me.

mtbr member
    There are crime issues, but let's put it in perspective. You could live 10,000 lifetimes here and expect to be murdered less than one time. You could spend 100 lifetimes here and expect to be the victim of a violent crime one time. Both of those are higher than other places, but I honestly don't think there high enough to worry about, especially considering a few common sense decisions make it even less likely to happen to you.

The news is designed to scare you so you feel like you need to watch the news so they can charge more for advertising.

Edit. To add to this, violent crime is down nationally from its peak in the early nineties 70 percent or so and in Albuquerque, 32 percent. Though we have been trending up the last couple years.

It's just a flesh wound!

Hey, wait up!
    Just don't ever, ever ever ever, leave your sweet bike unattended on a vehicle bike rack (even with a locking cable) in Albq. It'll be gone in 5 minutes. Hasn't happened to me, but has happened to many others.

My bikes ride inside. Just like my dogs.

Name:  ride.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  10.6 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    There are two trails near the Organs. The Seirra Vista and its offshoot the La Maria. Both are decent but not spectacular. The Organs have national monument status and as such, only hiking in most areas. The Dona Ana trails are where it's at in Cruces. Decent trails that are in great shape throughout the year. Come on Tuesday nights for group rides, cookouts and campfires in the main parking area. For punishment, you can head over to the Robledo mountains and try to clean the SST.

Violent crimes are not a big issue in the Southwestern part of the state, but I cannot deny the problem of property crime. Unfortunately, property crime is a problem in the Cruces area and pretty much all of NM as far as I can tell. I carry an addendum policy to my insurance that will cover my bikes in the event of theft. It's such a common issue, it's not an if but a when, even if you keep your bike inside the vehicle.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

Hey, wait up!
    I've never had a property crime issue in Cruces. I do have 7 dogs and a home alarm.

There have been some sporadic trailhead smash and grabs at the Dona Anas and A-Mountain trailheads, so I do think about that. There have also been some smash and grabs in campus parking areas and in store parking lots. Such is life.

Sierra Vista can be pretty fun. It's got a rhythm and is a great distance ride out and back.

How are the winters in NM?-sv3.jpg

How are the winters in NM?-sv2.jpg

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    There are crime issues, but let's put it in perspective. You could live 10,000 lifetimes here and expect to be murdered less than one time. You could spend 100 lifetimes here and expect to be the victim of a violent crime one time. Both of those are higher than other places, but I honestly don't think there high enough to worry about, especially considering a few common sense decisions make it even less likely to happen to you.

The news is designed to scare you so you feel like you need to watch the news so they can charge more for advertising.

Edit. To add to this, violent crime is down nationally from its peak in the early nineties 70 percent or so and in Albuquerque, 32 percent. Though we have been trending up the last couple years.

Well statistically 9 out 10 people enjoy gangrape..
    But my neighbor was shot and killed last night, and I live in a pretty good side of town. The first 5-10 minutes every night is the "who got shot today" segment.
    from google:
    For Albuquerque, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post
    Just don't ever, ever ever ever, leave your sweet bike unattended on a vehicle bike rack (even with a locking cable) in Albq. It'll be gone in 5 minutes. Hasn't happened to me, but has happened to many others.

My bikes ride inside. Just like my dogs.

Name:  ride.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  10.6 KB
    Great advise. A guy I ride with called me recently to tell me his bike was stolen off his rack with a cable lock, He said he went to eat and when he came back it was gone.
    Last edited by pelts79; 01-04-2017 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Well statistically 9 out 10 people enjoy gangrape..
    But my neighbor was shot and killed last night, and I live in a pretty good side of town. The first 5-10 minutes every night is the "who got shot today" segment.
    from google:
    I'm so sorry about your neighbor. That really sucks. And to be clear, I'm not saying that Albuquerque isn't more violent, just that statistically you have to be very unlucky, or doing something that elevated your risk.

The link I posted earlier seems to be in agreement with all the others I've seen, and isn't about enjoyment, or twisting numbers, but is a record if how often they happen. And they happen far less frequently than the news implies. It's just wet hear about every single one. Again. The point of TV news is to scare you.

When it happens it is a tragedy and terrible and it should happen less often, but we also need to be realistic about the risks.

My neighbor killed two people in his home. Turns out they were there to steal his coke. And I live in a pretty decent neighborhood. But if you don't live with a gun while you or someone else in the house does drugs (including alcohol), and don't deal or consume drugs, the chance of being murdered goes way way down (as does violent crime against you) it obviously does leak out and people who do everything right are also killed, raped and assaulted. Just far less often than we imagine.

Anyway, I'm not afraid here (though the tape figures do worry me). Though I do count on getting stuff stolen.

Back on topic, ride the south foothills in shorts and a shirt today. Love the winter riding.

It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Its not NM, but Salida, Colorado might tickle your fancy if you can find work.

I love NM as a place to visit but wouldn't really want to live there. After 3 years in El Paso and 10 in Colorado Springs I've spent enough time in NM to know that.
    Last edited by ryguy79; 01-06-2017 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    As someone who grew up in Oregon, lived in Boston, and have now lived here in Santa Fe for 6 years, I can say that NM is definitely a binary state: you either 'get it' and love it or it will find a way to push you out.

Weather here in SF is pretty much ideal and I can ride to my hearts content from my home. I had been robbed and burgled 3 times in Oregon, never once here, but of course this is all anecdotal. Boston, boy I hated that place, full of *******s and the worst winter I've experienced outside of North Dakota.

As someone who prefers a rural 'live and let live' mentallity, I couldn't think of a better place to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    As someone who grew up in Oregon, lived in Boston, and have now lived here in Santa Fe for 6 years, I can say that NM is definitely a binary state: you either 'get it' and love it or it will find a way to push you out.

Weather here in SF is pretty much ideal and I can ride to my hearts content from my home. I had been robbed and burgled 3 times in Oregon, never once here, but of course this is all anecdotal. Boston, boy I hated that place, full of *******s and the worst winter I've experienced outside of North Dakota.

As someone who prefers a rural 'live and let live' mentallity, I couldn't think of a better place to be.
    Boston really does suck doesn't it? I live about 20mins west of Worcester and I avoid Boston like the plague. The traffic is awful the, people are worse. How expensive is Santa fe compared to Boston cost of living wise?

but i want to ride now
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    Thank you. That site is helpful. I compared crime in those areas to my local city Worcester as well. Worcester is rated an 88 for violent crime (100 being the worst) which is far worse than Albuquerque or Santa fe. So I'm not so worried. I'm going to be looking into Tijeras as well as Placitas. I will also be looking at some places up north as well, espanola looks nice as does Los Alamos. I think what I'm going to do when I go there is start in Angel Fire and work my way down through Los Alamos and Santa Fe then Albuquerque and all the way down to Las Cruces and see what I think.

hop hop hop
    My family moved to NM about 20 years ago now, and I think you'll like it. our food is the best in the world. I agree with stay away from Rio Rancho- unless work is near there- traffic is the worst around. I say go east, Tijeras is awesome but a bit farther to Edgewood gets you much more affordabe and only 30 minutes to Albuquerque still. Rio Rancho does have access to Red Hills/White Messa/San Ysidro, I love it out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ... espanola looks nice ...
    Yeah, that'd be a good place to start. Especially since you'll have a lot fewer belongings to lug around when you decide to move your surviving family members to somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Yeah, that'd be a good place to start. Especially since you'll have a lot fewer belongings to lug around when you decide to move your surviving family members to somewhere else.
    Bahahahahaha

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Location looked nice, I missed the fact it'st the it's the most dangerous place in NM hahaha was just reading about it

Stucco Bucket
    Espanola is nice, if you like lowriders and heroin.

"Hey why did the espanola library close?" "both books got checked out, aye".

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here are my recommendations for you: Rio Rancho, Placitas, Tejeras and El Dorado.

The good points about Rio Rancho and Placitas are easy access to MTB trails and BLM land where you can ride an ATV and go shooting. Rio Rancho can be a traffic nightmare if you have to deal with rush hour traffic.

One issue with Tejeras and the east mountain area is you will get a lot more snow and there will be times when you have to deal with I-40 being closed due to icing conditions and sometimes due to accidents.

El Dorado is close to Santa Fe. Santa Fe has the best MTB trails.

I live in Placitas and love being able to hop on my bike and in 10 minutes be siding sweet single track.

Yesterday with all the icy roads, I was able to get to the train station with only a 10 minute delay (very light traffic in Placitas), catch the train to Santa Fe, pick up my bike from my bike locker and ride to work in some fresh powder. I LOVE riding in fresh powder. That is the best way to start your day!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Espanola is nice, if you like lowriders and heroin.

"Hey why did the espanola library close?" "both books got checked out, aye".
    Why do so many cars in Espanola have those tiny chain steering wheels?
    It's the only way you can drive with handcuffs on.

mtbr member
    Everyone who points out how expensive Santa Fe is is keeping in the mind the expected wages. It is significantly cheaper than any place I have lived and cheaper than where all of my friends in similar cities (like Bend, OR) live. The problem is finding work to support the relative higher cost compared to other areas of NM. You definitely don't move here to get rich, but the tradeoff is the quality of life.

With that said, areas in and around El Dorado is not a bad idea since it has access to good mtb pretty easily and cost of living is very doable. Riding in Santa Fe is pretty darn good, I feel spoiled living here. Don't know much about the living in Tijeras, but the riding is definitely excellent.

I'd avoid Espanola, Pojaque, etc. The culture shock there would be pretty severe.

How about Taos? haha, definitely small, weird and rural, but the riding and beauty up there in downright painfully good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    Here are my recommendations for you: Rio Rancho, Placitas, Tejeras and El Dorado.

The good points about Rio Rancho and Placitas are easy access to MTB trails and BLM land where you can ride an ATV and go shooting. Rio Rancho can be a traffic nightmare if you have to deal with rush hour traffic.

One issue with Tejeras and the east mountain area is you will get a lot more snow and there will be times when you have to deal with I-40 being closed due to icing conditions and sometimes due to accidents.

El Dorado is close to Santa Fe. Santa Fe has the best MTB trails.

I live in Placitas and love being able to hop on my bike and in 10 minutes be siding sweet single track.

Yesterday with all the icy roads, I was able to get to the train station with only a 10 minute delay (very light traffic in Placitas), catch the train to Santa Fe, pick up my bike from my bike locker and ride to work in some fresh powder. I LOVE riding in fresh powder. That is the best way to start your day!
    I'm trying to see as little powder as I can haha how much snow do you guys usually get in Placitas

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Matt, I hear places along the coast have been under apocalyptic winter conditions lately? Thought I'd share a few shots from a group ride in Silver City yesterday. Temperature was about 60F.

How are the winters in NM?-img_0397.jpg

How are the winters in NM?-fullsizerender.jpg

How are the winters in NM?-img_0429.jpg

How are the winters in NM?-img_0450.jpg
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Awesome thanks for that lol we just got 5" of snow Saturday and it was -2 degrees when I got out of work this morning. Today's high is going to be 19. New Mexico is looking pretty good right now

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    gonna be in the 60's all week here in cruces...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah, can't wait. Are you going to do the Tuesday night ride, feast and bs session tomorrow at the DA's? If so, maybe I'll see you. I plan to hit it up after I get off of work.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,but more like a tuesday late afternoon ride for me,i try and get home before dark,the commute back and forth sucks bad enough in daylight and it only gets worse after dark...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Totally understand.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ya I'm going riding Tuesday too........Tuesday April 2nd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Snow in Placitas

I'm trying to see as little powder as I can haha how much snow do you guys usually get in Placitas
    Not much. And when we do get snow, it usually melts off by the afternoon or the next day.

13.3 inches average total at this weather station
    PLACITAS 4 W, NEW MEXICO - Climate Summary

The weather varies a lot depending on where in Placitas you are talking about. There is a 1000 foot elevation difference between the western and eastern parts of Placitas. And that 5000 foot mountain has a big influence on wind patterns that affect snowfall. When we get big storms, they are accompanied by big winds which cut off the heavy rain or snowfall.

Some areas may get a bit more snow, but overall, the average snow depth is 0. It snows but it melts off fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    Not much. And when we do get snow, it usually melts off by the afternoon or the next day.

13.3 inches average total at this weather station
    PLACITAS 4 W, NEW MEXICO - Climate Summary

The weather varies a lot depending on where in Placitas you are talking about. There is a 1000 foot elevation difference between the western and eastern parts of Placitas. And that 5000 foot mountain has a big influence on wind patterns that affect snowfall. When we get big storms, they are accompanied by big winds which cut off the heavy rain or snowfall.

Some areas may get a bit more snow, but overall, the average snow depth is 0. It snows but it melts off fast.
    Is it just me or placitas really expensive? Most houses I've seen online were over 300k

Is it just me or placitas really expensive? Most houses I've seen online were over 300k
    it is a good location, great views of mtns, and most of them do have a little bit of land with them.

i thought it'd be a little better quality overall for that kind of coin though. lots of powerlines, sheds and RVs everywhere.

Stucco Bucket
    Placitas isnt so much of a town, its a small community. Theres a couple restaurants, a small market, a few amenities. If I had to guess, thats why people move there.
    But yea, lots of nice homes as people retire there.

From my house in ABQ, the 2nd p-lot trailhead is 11 minutes.
    Anywhere here is pretty much all the same. ABQ, Tijeras, Cedar crest. All the trails are easily an after work ride. The cutoff (to me at least) is santa fe and farther. those are not lunch loops if you live here. Dont get too hung up on these small distances, find a place with a low crime rate that fits your age group or lifestyle. Off tramway if you want ride from your front door, nob hill if youre looking for night life, north valley or east mountain if you want to be left alone etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There are a lot of expensive homes on the market in Placitas. The expensive homes don't sell so you see a lot of them on the market. And there are a lot of large expensive houses in general. But there is a lot of variety in the older parts and you can find things in a lower price range.

Looking in the local paper there are a couple under $200k
    http://www.sandovalsignpost.com/html/classifieds.html

In general, houses are less expensive in Placitas than Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Placitas isnt so much of a town, its a small community. Theres a couple restaurants, a small market, a few amenities. If I had to guess, thats why people move there.
    But yea, lots of nice homes as people retire there.

From my house in ABQ, the 2nd p-lot trailhead is 11 minutes.
    Anywhere here is pretty much all the same. ABQ, Tijeras, Cedar crest. All the trails are easily an after work ride. The cutoff (to me at least) is santa fe and farther. those are not lunch loops if you live here. Dont get too hung up on these small distances, find a place with a low crime rate that fits your age group or lifestyle. Off tramway if you want ride from your front door, nob hill if youre looking for night life, north valley or east mountain if you want to be left alone etc.
    For me now, I drive up to 35mins to ride on a regular day so it seems like there is plenty of good riding within that distance from tijaras, cedar crest, or even Edgewood. As of now Edgewood is looking pretty good, it's unbelievably cheap to buy a house there, crime is low, and it's under 30mins to the city and good riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I've lived in both Las Cruces and Santa Fe and this is my perspective.
    LC has better weather, but SF/ABQ has better riding. SF has a more diverse variety of trails, and I can ride to a couple. Also, SF (and even ABQ) has better better restaurants and culture. If you like to do other outdoor activities (climbing, skiing, fishing, etc.), SF wins by a long-shot.
    If weather is your only concern, LC wins. However, for quality of life and riding, I personally enjoy the northern part of NM.
    Just my two cents.

Trail Rider

This morning in Albuquerque

About 36 degrees,
    Good ski/board conditions on other side of the mountain this weekend.

How are the winters in NM?-20170117_084442.jpg
    2020 SC CC Hightower

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Monumental Loop, Southern New Mexico - BIKEPACKING.com

Cruces is improving. We're now surrounded my 500,000 acres of National Monuments and have a bike route through it all. Wherever you decide to settle you'll have plenty to explore and the weather is always nice in some part of the state.

Mexican/New Mexican food is better in the southern part of the state, that is a fact.

One more thing--I never drive anywhere to ride my mountain bike. I can ride, almost entirely dirt routes, to the best singletrack networks. No commuting, no traffic, fewer people in Las Cruces. Works for me.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Monumental Loop, Southern New Mexico - BIKEPACKING.com

Cruces is improving. We're now surrounded my 500,000 acres of National Monuments and have a bike route through it all. Wherever you decide to settle you'll have plenty to explore and the weather is always nice in some part of the state.

Mexican/New Mexican food is better in the southern part of the state, that is a fact.

One more thing--I never drive anywhere to ride my mountain bike. I can ride, almost entirely dirt routes, to the best singletrack networks. No commuting, no traffic, fewer people in Las Cruces. Works for me.
    That would be opinion. Im of opinion that Northern New Mexican is much better

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    That would be opinion. Im of opinion that Northern New Mexican is much better
    Opinions, facts, who can tell anymore. Either way you smother it New Mexico has some good eatin.

Stucco Bucket
    Red or Green? Salt? Rocks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Green. No salt, no rocks, no barrels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    How are the winters? Just what you're looking for.

What would it be like to live there? Cholo as fvck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    LC does indeed have some excellent Mexican/New Mexican restaurants. However, unless that's all you plan to eat, the restaurant scene is LC is severely lacking. When I lived there, there wasn't even an Indian restaurant in town.

And actually, SF is considerably smaller than LC (by 30K). Neither town has traffic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 3weight View Post
    LC does indeed have some excellent Mexican/New Mexican restaurants. However, unless that's all you plan to eat, the restaurant scene is LC is severely lacking. When I lived there, there wasn't even an Indian restaurant in town.

And actually, SF is considerably smaller than LC (by 30K). Neither town has traffic.
    Can't argue that, although again LC does seem to be moving in the right direction. We briefly had an Indian place. Chick-fil-A opened 2 feed stores that seem popular!

I found driving in SF to be a pain. Parking was worse, wouldn't be an issue if I lived there and could bike but it is a busy place.

Stucco Bucket
    If you like craft beer, ABQ wins hands down. Especially if you like to go to breweries and then drive home plowed.

Stucco Bucket
    Riding today in the home of the flea, land of the plague wearing shorts.
    If you look close at the first pic you can see the trammy trams passing each other.
    Not quite hero dirt, and even though its "wet kitty litter" theres plenty of kittens kil't today. sorry dougy

How are the winters in NM?-img_20170118_145438534.jpg
    How are the winters in NM?-img_20170118_144053156.jpg
    How are the winters in NM?-img_20170118_150749245.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Riding today in the home of the flea, land of the plague wearing shorts.
    If you look close at the first pic you can see the trammy trams passing each other.
    Not quite hero dirt, and even though its "wet kitty litter" theres plenty of kittens kil't today. sorry dougy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170118_145438534.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	1116459

Name:	IMG_20170118_144053156.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1116457

Name:	IMG_20170118_150749245.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1116458
    Where is this? It looks amazing

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yesterday in cruces...
    How are the winters in NM?-img_20170116_091023143_hdr%5B1%5D.jpgHow are the winters in NM?-img_20170116_093007649%5B1%5D.jpg

it was a tad chilly,but still shorts weather...

Stucco Bucket
    Where is this? It looks amazing
    this our local winter loop. North Foothills. basically in town

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    North Dona Ana mountains of Las Cruces over the weekend. Low 50's with a good breeze. We were bundled up like the weak ass desert rats that we are!

How are the winters in NM?-img_0653.jpg
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    yesterday in cruces...

Name:	IMG_20170116_091023143_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	1116464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170116_093007649[1].jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	1116465

it was a tad chilly,but still shorts weather...
    Nice! Sierra Vista?
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ^ yup, we rode A mountain, La Maria, SV, and up to Soledad. Aiming for the waterfall but got shut down by a mass of hikers.

How were the North DAs? Haven't been out there in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    They were great. A few people have been working on the trails over the past couple of months. The beginning of the network to include the Little Moab and Southern loop are in good shape and fun as hell. The northern trails are still dodgy in places and of course, the access trail is a sandy arroyo, but actually rideable due to all the recent rain.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nice! i dont get out to the NADAS often enough...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I grew up in Las Cruces so it was great to see this thread and all the pix. Back then it was a sleepy town of about 50,000 people. While it's grown some since I left for college, I've been back for a few high school reunions and the vibe is still pretty much the same.

Southern NM is as different from Northern NM as SoCal is from NorCal. What I'd suggest is a road trip South to North. Fly in to El Paso, rent a car, and take the I54 and / or the I25 north.

Admitting my bias, Las Cruces is the Goldie Locks of NM cities. Head nod to the Mesillero.

225 miles North of LC by way of the I25 is ABQ. It is the state's Big City with all the plusses and minuses people have already pointed out.

Sante Fe is New Mexico's Austin if that's your scene.

Everything else is less a city and more of town -- don't let Silver City's name fool you -- and maybe something on that scale may be what you're looking for.

Best to get out there and experience it first-hand. As others have rightly pointed out, it's a whole different culture.

Bring your bikes.

Don't miss Chopes or White Sands.

And bonus points if you hit the four corners.

Orale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So I'm bumping my own thread, planning a vacation to NM to check it out. Going to be coming out there at end of august. As of now, I plan on spending several days in both ABQ and Santa fe as well as heading up to angel fire and renting bikes and renting bikes and riding taos as well. Outside of that I'm looking for recommendations, we love hiking and planned on doing plenty of that, so I'm looking for good hikes in those areas as well as the best places to eat and drink. Or any cool historical sights to check out. Also, any places I should avoid, primarily in ABQ. From what I'm told the area between the air force base and rt. 40 is like a war zone are they any other areas I should avoid? As usual any input is appreciated. And to all you LC guys, while it does sound like a nice place, I just don't think I'm cut out to be a desert rat. If time allows we may try to get down there, but it's not really on my radar as somewhere I'm considering living

saddlemeat
    ^Make sure you get out Gallup way, great riding and ample employment opportunities. Not nearly so hot as SF and ABQ, mountain land is available within 30 minutes. Great community of outdoor folks.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    If you want someone to show you the trails in ABQ just hit me up I'm more then happy to show you around and usually have four days off a week. As for hiking Tent Rocks is great which is between ABQ and Santa Fe. Also recommend hiking up to the lake in Taos gorgeous views. There's tons of stuff to do I don't know where to start. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number and I can tell you all the cool places.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If you are in the Taos area you owe to your self to bomb down the Heaven on Earth section of the South Boundary Trail. Catch a ride to Garcia Park and have a blast shredding through the aspen.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    From what I'm told the area between the air force base and rt. 40 is like a war zone are they any other areas I should avoid?
    With the highest unemployment rate in the US, NM does not have low crime and it's not localized in that area. Just be situationally aware, alert and careful wherever you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JXG View Post
    With the highest unemployment rate in the US, NM does not have low crime and it's not localized in that area. Just be situationally aware, alert and careful wherever you are.
    While i think there's an 'edge' to NM, that seems quite extreme. I definitely feel a lot less safe in most major metro areas than here.

I ride with tools
    As for hiking Tent Rocks is great which is between ABQ and Santa Fe.
    Tent Rocks would be smokin' hot in August. I would drive up to the Sandia Crest and hike up there. Or up Hyde Park Road in Santa Fe. In August you gots to go up high and stay cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Tent Rocks would be smokin' hot in August. I would drive up to the Sandia Crest and hike up there. Or up Hyde Park Road in Santa Fe. In August you gots to go up high and stay cool.
    It's not hot if you go in the morning I've been plenty of times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    While i think there's an 'edge' to NM, that seems quite extreme. I definitely feel a lot less safe in most major metro areas than here.
    It's really hard to judge what to expect there, some people like you say it's a little rough but not that bad. And other people make it sound like Chicago out there lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Still trying to get a list of towns to check out as well, so far I'm looking at tijeras, Edgewood, and Moriarty out in the east mountains, pluses out there is houses are cheap and it beautiful, minuses though it seems like there get a decent amount of snow, and when it does snow rt. 40. gets shut down. Placitas is also on the list, though I doubt I would be able to afford a house there from what I can tell. Anybody have any input on places south or west of ABQ? How is Los Lunas? I've looked north of the city but houses up that way are pretty expensive.

mtbr member
    I only say that becuase I grew up in one of the safest states, OR, in a mix of rural and semi-urban areas. In the last 10 years living there, house broken in to once, garage broken into once, brand new truck stolen from the driveway, and had stuff thrown at me riding my bike often.

Literally none of that has happened to me here in 7 years, but I'm in Santa Fe (central) and can't speak to the rest of the state. Still feel like there's a lot of 'live and let live' here.

Hey, wait up!
    Albq. is a nest of thieves. When I lived there some years back, my stuff was molested three separate times. It has gotten worse by far since then.

If I was gonna move back northwards, it would be to Santa Fe. I was there this past weekend riding, hiking, camping, and hanging out. Si bueno.

Manís life possessions stolen in Albuquerque during cross-country move
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1014583/m...ime=1496885383

Perpetually Intermediate
    Hiking or biking, NM is the best...sweet climate that's not too hot or too cold, with zero humidity (except during monsoon time, which is super awesome) and lots of sunshine all year round. In a drought year, even at 7,000 feet, you might be riding your bike year round. Landscapes range from high alpine tundra all the way down to blazing hot desert with lots in between, and all of it a day's drive or less from most anywhere in the state (plus Utah and Colorado when you need them). Everything else about this place is often a struggle, but if you stick it out and accept the rough edge then you might never leave.

Expect not to get rich. Ever. Economy is pretty bad. Probably always will be.

Tons of elbow room. 1/3 the population of Colorado. Maybe less. Huge views. Lots of public land to roam. Wild and wooly. Which can also be kinda rough at times, as some of the most beautiful places in New Mexico are some of the toughest, poorest and/or most violent (Penasco, Mora, Chama, and all the villages surrounding Espanola).

My experience in Taos is that a half mile can make all the difference as far as one's worries about crime, and it's not always easy to tell a "good" neighborhood from a "bad" one, so choose your town and neighborhood carefully. Also, as far as riding/hiking go, be sure you are close to actual public land, like Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands lest you realize that the wide open space outside your door is actually some big privately owned ranch or Indian Reservation...off limits to the public.

Good luck with your NM adventure! If you make it up to Taos PM me and I'll be happy to show you around, or at least give you some pointers. Also, at a glance Taos probably appears to be too expensive for your budget...all the expense of Santa Fe but without the jobs or wages...but with patience one can find some affordable options in non-sketchy places as long as you're not attached to being right in town.

mtbr member
    Or I can open carry with just a New Mexico drivers license from what I've read. ...
    Anyone who can legally possess a firearm*, i.e. non-felons 19 years and older can open carry in New Mexico, don't need a NM license or id. Fun fact for anyone who commutes via pedals and chain; a CHL is not required to carry a loaded concealed handgun while on a bicycle, as New Mexico considers bikes (and also horses) to be vehicles and as such an extension of one's residence and personal property. Once dismounting a bike or horse, one is considered to be on foot and a CHL would be legally required to continue concealing a pistol.

edit; *handgun ~ there are no age restrictions for rifles and shotguns in NM

mtbr member
    This past Winter was mild all across the state, in the north snowfall was average; 200-300 inches in the mountains, began snowing later and melting earlier in the season than usual, a heavy December and January kept seasonal totals on par. Temps were above average all across the state, usually there are a few weather events totaling about 10-20 days with bitter cold temps, this year there were only a few days when temps stayed below about 5f. February and March this year were exceptionally warm and dry, as May and June have been so far. The last really cold Winter was 2010-11, it was a dry year which tends to accompany colder Winters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    a CHL is not required to carry a loaded concealed handgun while on a bicycle, as New Mexico considers bikes (and also horses) to be vehicles...
    That's interesting. I did not know that. The New Mexico Department of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Carry FAQ confirms that to be true.
    CHC FAQs | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

I carry pepper spray. Mostly for protection against dogs and potentially bears and mountain lions. And maybe angry hikers who get pissed when you pepper spray their loose dogs. I have never felt the need to carry a firearm while bike riding.

Mars

Keep on Rockin...
    Sure you want to leave the NE?

Looked into moving west myself and didn't add up.

Here we have...

Lots of high paying jobs/work. Nice house with garage cost far under 150. Got 25 acres of land next to deep woods for less than $1000/acre next to great trails. regional DH with 3,400 plus vert. Good skiing in winter. Our county in particular is very unpopulated.

Rainy days are for trail work. Bugs can be bad though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Sure you want to leave the NE?

Looked into moving west myself and didn't add up.

Here we have...

Lots of high paying jobs/work. Nice house with garage cost far under 150. Got 25 acres of land next to deep woods for less than $1000/acre next to great trails. regional DH with 3,400 plus vert. Good skiing in winter. Our county in particular is very unpopulated.

Rainy days are for trail work. Bugs can be bad though.
    I don't know where in NE you live, I'm In central Ma. and you're not finding any house around here for 150k. Anything under 200k is basically a fixer upper. And as far as skiing goes you can have it, I hate snow and winter in general. And your not kidding about the bugs, mosquitoes and ticks have been unreal so far this year. But either way, I definitely want to leave, I'm young enough and I want a change. I'm not happy here for sure, maybe new mexico won't be for me either but you only live once I want to give the west a try.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    Anyone who can legally possess a firearm*, i.e. non-felons 19 years and older can open carry in New Mexico, don't need a NM license or id. Fun fact for anyone who commutes via pedals and chain; a CHL is not required to carry a loaded concealed handgun while on a bicycle, as New Mexico considers bikes (and also horses) to be vehicles and as such an extension of one's residence and personal property. Once dismounting a bike or horse, one is considered to be on foot and a CHL would be legally required to continue concealing a pistol.

edit; *handgun ~ there are no age restrictions for rifles and shotguns in NM
    Would you ride your bike through UNM with a open carry or even concealed? Chances are youre going to jail and going to tell your story to a judge.

What? There's more?
    Come on out. I moved here 35 years ago from New Orleans. Crime smime. It's everywhere. Citing statistics is like bench racing. You can spend your time obsessing over it, or you can live. There's a lot of living to be done in NM. What are the stats for that? How do you quantify the most beautiful place you've been in NM... and we all have one. Put a number on the feeling of solitude you can find 40 minutes from Abq. What was the cost of that rainbow that was so bright it looked fake. What was it worth to come bombing down from the foothills.at dusk and realize the biggest owl you've ever seen is tracking over your left shoulder. Where does NM rank among places to sit on a ridge at dawn and watch a herd of elk move silently up a draw close enough to hear them breathing. You going to live now or later?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Crime smime. It's everywhere. Citing statistics is like bench racing. You can spend your time obsessing over it, or you can live. Put a number on the feeling of solitude you can find 40 minutes from Abq.
    Sorry to thread jack but the quote above may have just convinced me to start sending out resumes for a job in Albq. I have been living in Salt Lake City for past 20 years and it has been great but it is time to move on. The last time I was in Abq was in February of 2006. I flew into Albq and then drove to Los Alamos for business so I did not do any mountain biking.

As far as crime, I have lived in Salt Lake for 20 years and I have had my car stolen and my car windows broken out a couple of times. This past October, the secretary at my office was not at the front desk so believe it or not, someone went into my office drawer during our business hours and stole my wallet and Iphone. The funny thing is, I bought a condo 8 years ago which I could afford in South Salt Lake which is considered a sketchy neighborhood and nothing has ever happened to me there. Go figure!

Just curious if anyone here has lived in Salt Lake and then moved to Albq. I would like to here your thoughts. I am planning a trip to New Mexico in September. Looking forward to Angel Fire and the South Boundary trail. My friend's cousin lives in Los Alamos so I will be doing some riding there as well. I am still looking into trails in Santa Fe and Albq.

You mentioned Matt that you were visiting in August. I would like to here your thoughts as well.

Thanks

Stucco Bucket
    this may be bench racing, but there are 26 cars stolen daily here. Not monthly, daily.
    people get shot at least every other day. watch our news for a few months before you make any decisions.
    KOB 4 - Albuquerque News, New Mexico News, Eyewitness News 4 | KOB.com or Albuquerque, NM News, Weather and Sports - KOAT Channel 7

What? There's more?
    10,011 cars in 2016 according to the FBI. We're number one, baby! Basically, every 90's Honda has been stolen at least once. But, I don't have a Honda, and I've not been shot yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @Matt1106, the quote from tyrebyter is agreeable no doubt regarding anywhere you want to live. I have lived in PA, MI, FL, TN, NM, and IL (outskirts of Chicago). Worst crime I saw was probably in Chicago first then Allentown, PA second. I agree with you and understand winters, believe me, living in MI close to lake MI and experienced the lake effect snow is a depressor. Having friends who live in Vermont, Maine, mid state NY, Jersey, and MA, we all talk about snow and got about the same amount when I was in MI. Once in MI about 4 years ago we have over 120 inches that season! It was crazy and they said it was a $1,200 fine if found driving on the road when gov. issued mandates went out to stay off the road. I get it. Plus all the salt MI uses on the roads, you see fairly newer vehicles developing good rust and older vehicles are serious rust buckets.

Most job and monetary opportunities were Chicago, and West Palm, FL. I was recently in Santa Fe and Alb in June and Salida, CO. Hiking, biking, fishing, camping, seriously good. I would give the nod to Salida for more outdoor activities for sure, but Salida will have more snow in winter than Santa Fe and Albq. I had not been to SF for a couple years but it looked run down to me. Weeds growing in the medians everywhere and on the side of the road.

I recalled the City keeping that really clean but I guess they let it go. Jobs for locals in SF seem to have not changed much as state gov and city gov for majority employers. There is construction work for you, but a family member of mine who is in the construction buz said it has changed alot due to influx if illegals from Mexico working for almost nothing. Thus hurting local small buz construction owners who can't compete with the Mex bids. I'm sure your wife with accounting degree can get a job there no problem, Albq even more opportunities.

Friends and family told me shopping in SF has shifted to many going to Albq as far as malls go, they say everyone goes to Albq now. SF has a Sams, no costco, a wholefoods, had wild oats but I was sad to see it looked vacant now. Santa Fe has probably 4-5 good bike shops, one that I really like was downtown, Mellow vello I believe it was called. Those guys always treated me outstanding. They have an REI, a budget store called big 5, REI, but that is it, surprisingly. In MI and Chicago and here in TN they have these massive REI's, Cabellas, Granger, *****, and Bass pro Shop outlets where you can find all kinds of gear for all outdoor activities,

I was surprised SF does not have that much to offer in that regard. I would echo what has been said, weather in SF can be usually windy, blue skies like really deep blue skies, probably due to no humidity. This is usually year round the sun is shining. With exception to the winter. SF is at 7,000 ft elevation and they do get snow but no at all like you or I am used to. It may last about a week or days and then melt.

I would echo what others have said, STAY AWAY from ESpanola, whatever you do or get a gun. There is a small quiet town outside of Santa fe called Tesuque, don't know if I spelled right but that is nice place, there is a place called La Tierra and its nice and quiet. I would not recommend Cerrillos NM to live, last I remember it was a ghost town looking place next to Madrid and it has a love it hate it demeanor about it. Many call these the hippie towns.

Los Lunas is a decent place, I have friends there. They say subdivisions are nice and crime is not bad, it is about 30-40 drive from Albq I think and it is very affordable. They said it never snows in Los Lunas but I can't speak about the trail conditions. I have family living in Rio Rancho and they seem to really love it there. They said it can snow but if it does its usually like 4-6 inches at the max and then melts the next day.

In R.R. they have never reported break ins and I know a few of them leave their home for days on end because of buz travel with their jobs. Rio Rancho is windy at times and a bit dusty they tell me. They say crime is nothing like Albq is, jobs are a plenty and construction is booming. Good restaurants and the big name chains as well. Shopping is good in Rio Rancho. Trails they say you have to drive at least 30-40 min to the nearest ones. Santa Fe trails can be attained by 50 min. drive depending on which you go from Rio Rancho to SF.

Eldorado is about 10 min outside SF and is a quite town, desert like with many Juniper trees and quiet enough to hear yourself think. They get snow but not as much as SF does and it melts in a few days. THey have one grocery store but SF is not that far away so commute is what most people do. I lived a couple years in Albq many years ago in the heights area. Crime was not bad up there. Seems that Albq crime is in specific places and all the numbers reported for ALB come from these concentrated areas.

What friends and family have told me about SF is that Heroine, Oxy, Suboxine, and all that opiate jazz has infiltrated that town and so many people are on this stuff. It is coming smuggled in from the cartels in mexico in pills and all that. They have told me it has changed the city for the worse. I did notice when I stopped at an Alberstons grocery store, a few people so skinny and zomie esk asking for money because they ran out of gas and yada yada. I saw another group doing the same thing at the Whole foods parking lot. I never saw this before when I lived there about 10 years ago. I can report that my house was broken into twice when I lived in SF.

Restaurants in SF are really good as far as small buz owners, they have a bit everything. I don't drink but I can see the craft beer trend seems to be popular and the New Mexican/Spanish (not Mexican) food is really good. It's not the healthiest thing to put in your body, all that cheese, but the chile is that good. Lots of vegetarian options as well if you are that. From what everyone has told me the city gov in SF, not too many are fond of it or the mayor. They say the state gov is bad as well with a gov and it has been corrupt for a time. State employees who embezzle hundreds, thousands, and millions.

They tell me as far as the city goes, there is not much to do for children, the school system is terrible (public), so outdoor activities is where it is at. I have been told that Rio Rancho has really good public school system.

As everyone else has said, it will be a culture shock for sure. Learning the dialect from some I was told is called el norte talk. It's different for sure, but as I've moved around I've heard many different dialects and now living in the TN you have the southern drawl that is sometimes difficult to understand. I don't know if what friends have told me is true regarding what I have said but that is their testimony.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I failed to mention, SF does have many grocery stores. From what I know about SF is you either love it or hate it as well. I would not recommend Las Vegas, NM. It has an Espanola vibe to it. I hear there are some trails there though. It is a small town, smaller than SF and many rural options if that is what you are really looking for. They do get snow, probably more than SF does.

If you live in SF you have close proximity to Los Alamos and they have good trails from what I heard from friends.

The cool thing about central NM (SF, RR, or Albq) is on the weekends, there is many outdoor opportunities to be had from under an hour to 3-4 hour driving. Four hours being Taos and Angel fire riding and hiking. Taos is an interesting little place, it is small and there are rural options but it does snow more than SF and snow can last on the ground up to 7 days. Again, no where near east coast snow. Colorado is not far off either to take a trip to ride some outstanding single track. I don't recall much bike shops in Taos that offer much. Hope this helps, perhaps taking a "demo" trip and looking at the different towns would help you and the Mrs. determine things better.

Stucco Bucket
    ok then, well there ya go

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    10,011 cars in 2016 according to the FBI. We're number one, baby! Basically, every 90's Honda has been stolen at least once. But, I don't have a Honda, and I've not been shot yet.
    They aren't all stolen with jingle keys. Sometimes they just stick a gun in your window. Too many junkie felons here

Fragilie
    What I tell people that ask me about "The Burque" is this- if you go looking for trouble , you'll probably find it, if you mind your business, you'll most likely be good. Always be aware of your surroundings, but that's everywhere.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [QUOTE=Matt1106;13197460]So I'm bumping my own thread, planning a vacation to NM to check it out. Going to be coming out there at end of august. As of now, I plan on spending several days in both ABQ and Santa fe as well as heading up to angel fire and renting bikes and renting bikes and riding taos as well.

Matt1106 - You mentioned that you were planning a vaction to NM to check it out at the end of August. Did you go to NM? If so, what do you think?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just read through this tread for the first time. Moved to Los Alamos 2 years ago from the DC metro area. Looking to get back into mtbing after a 6 year layoff. Have trailheads within 100 yards of my front door. I grew up in El Paso so NM hasn't been that much of a culture shock.

I saw Chopes Bar and Grill mentioned earlier in this thread. That was my great aunt/uncle's restaurant/bar. And there is a difference between north and south NM food.

Looking forward to what you think about NM after your visit.

Stucco Bucket
    Rent a Uhaul and park it overnight at any of our wonderful lodging establishments..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Don't do that

Rent a Uhaul and park it overnight at any of our wonderful lodging establishments..
    Oh NO! Don't do that. And especially not with your dearly departed relative in the Uhaul!

And if you ignore that advice, at least bring your bike into the room with you.
    Last edited by Mars29; 09-11-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Trail Rider

Or hit the Chamisoso climb to Mighty Mule-connect to Lone Pine DH, right turn at the meadow/double track...head past the burnt out car, cut right on Pinion which spits you out on Lone Pine, double back to Mighty Mule, then Coyote Trail to Chamisoso/Coyote connector back to the parking lot.

17.5 miles, 2000 feet of elevation gain.

Way more fun than getting your U-Haul ganked.

How are the winters in NM?-20170910_080614.jpg

A little headset adjustment at the burnt out car does the trick.
    2020 SC CC Hightower

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    [QUOTE=NEUT;13332001]
    So I'm bumping my own thread, planning a vacation to NM to check it out. Going to be coming out there at end of august. As of now, I plan on spending several days in both ABQ and Santa fe as well as heading up to angel fire and renting bikes and renting bikes and riding taos as well.

Matt1106 - You mentioned that you were planning a vaction to NM to check it out at the end of August. Did you go to NM? If so, what do you think?
    I did get out there. My wife and I absolutely loved it. We spent most of our time in Albuquerque, but we also spent a night up in Santa Fe and went up to angel fire to ride the bike park as well. I have so much to say I don't really know where to start and I really don't feel like typing it all on this damn kindle so I will just do bullets to sum it up hahaha
    -the food there is unreal. I've been craving green chili since I've been home
    -you guys drive FAST! I was not expecting that at all but I loved it lol
    -New Mexicans are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I can't believe how many genuinely nice and helpful people there were that I came across.
    -Albuquerque surprised me. I generally hate cities but I really liked it there. It's quiet, clean, the traffic is surprisingly mild and the city is very easy to navigate. The way the owl talked I was sure I was going to be gunned down in a drive by my first day there, but to me, the city felt very safe, granted I avoided central ave like the plague as I was advised to do so by most people I talked to. But the general gist I got from everybody is that 90% of the really bad crime is pretty isolated to the south side by Central. Most people did acknowledge that property crime was an issue in the whole city, but that basic common sense precautions would keep you from becoming a victim. I talked to dozens of people and none of them seemed to be overly concerned about crime. Which was reassuring.
    -Traffic in Santa Fe sucks
    -the weather is unreal
    -elevation sucks for people who aren't from there. 2nd day there we went to the sandias and hiked pino trail to crest trail and took crest trail up to the tram. Beautiful hike but the elevation made it such a challenge. I thought my wife was going to die. When we were in Santa Fe we drove up to the ski basin and tried to hike up to nambe lake not realizing that we were starting our hike at 10,000ft only made it about 20mins and turned back I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
    -New Mexicans don't know what turn signals are
    -not sure why, but talking to some people (particularly older people) I got the feeling the Indian tribes aren't well liked there.
    -some New Mexicans have southern accents and some dont, I thought that was kind of funny.
    -the gross receipt tax is stupid. I feel like I payed a different percentage everywhere i went.
    -the fact that we were from Massachusetts was a source of intrigue among people we met.
    -Texas people can't park their crewcab f350s to save their lives.
    -All Texas people visiting New Mexico drive crewcab f350s
    -Santa Fe is overrated. I mean downtown is really nice and there's good food and coffee but i don't think I would want to live there. After visiting I see what people mean about work up there. The entire city is all service industry jobs and they don't really pay enough to be able to afford to live there. Seems like a good place to go out for dinner or to go up there to ride or hike, just not live.
    -Modello negra sucks. We don't have that in Massachusetts and I'm glad.
    -there is no easy way to fly to Albuquerque. Direct flights don't seem to exist.
    -the entire state shuts down a 8pm. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

All in all we had an amazing vacation, I really liked it there and we are seriously considering making a go of it there. While I did like Albuquerque I still wouldn't really want to live in the city. I like placitas and tijeras. the locations were nice and close to the city but they still feel like you are out in the middle of nowhere. Edgewood is a little further out than I would like and so is los lunas and Bosque farms. Plus there doesn't seem like there's much in the way of hiking or riding south of the city. I looked at prices on neighborhoods on the south end of tramway Blvd. On the east side going along the foothills. It's pretty reasonable and I talked to some people that lived down there and they said the neighborhood was pretty decent. But my concern was it's only a few blocks away from some pretty bad neighborhoods just on the other side of tramway. And once you start heading north on tramway the prices start to get high pretty quick. But depending I may consider it. To start we will most likely be renting an apartment and get settled into whatever we get for jobs and start house shopping. So as of now that's where we are at.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Or hit the Chamisoso climb to Mighty Mule-connect to Lone Pine DH, right turn at the meadow/double track...head past the burnt out car, cut right on Pinion which spits you out on Lone Pine, double back to Mighty Mule, then Coyote Trail to Chamisoso/Coyote connector back to the parking lot.

17.5 miles, 2000 feet of elevation gain.

Way more fun than getting your U-Haul ganked.

Name:	20170910_080614.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	1157361

A little headset adjustment at the burnt out car does the trick.
    I havent ridden that side of the road in years..

Matt1106
    Negro modelo does suck, santa fe is overrated (sorry TJ), turn signals are a sign of weakness, You talked to the wrong people, the reservations arent frowned upon, and crime isnt limited to certain neighborhoods. Just watch our news for a month.
    Still has good culture (Im from here) great food, and epic riding which has largely gone unnoticed with other states.

mtbr member
    All good, TJ and I would prefer to keep as many Massholes from Santa Fe as possible

mtbr member
    Nailed it Matt!

May The Force Be With You
    Hi Matt1106!!! I'm in the Albany Ny area and I'm looking to move aswell to the Los Alamos or close to Los Alamos area in a few months as well! Mountain biking, off roading, camping!! Giddy up! I don't know if already mentioned because I haven't read through the messages yet but there's a ski resort in Los Alamos. Bike park opens in May I believe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    Hi Matt1106!!! I'm in the Albany Ny area and I'm looking to move aswell to the Los Alamos or close to Los Alamos area in a few months as well! Mountain biking, off roading, camping!! Giddy up! I don't know if already mentioned because I haven't read through the messages yet but there's a ski resort in Los Alamos. Bike park opens in May I believe
    Bike Park should open in early May next year along with some new flow trails to add to all the existing gnar trails!

May The Force Be With You
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    bike park should open in early may next year along with some new flow trails to add to all the existing gnar trails!
    outstanding!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)