How to ride South Boundary Trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

How to ride South Boundary Trail?

My friend and I want to go camping up in Taos (driving from ABQ) and ride SBT on Monday, August 13. We're not total noobs but we've never ridden or seen it before. From what I can tell, this is shuttle only.

Since campgrounds charge per car, my friend suggested we just ride US64 on the way back to the campsite after riding the trail so we only have to bring up his truck. I think he's f***** nuts for suggesting this considering how long (and steep) of a road ride it would be heading back to Taos.

Has anyone tried this? How do you usually ride SBT? Do we just need to buck up and bring another car? Normally, I'd just ask the LBS in Taos, but at that point it'd be too late to bring another car.

I know there are reviews on this but I know better than to trust older reviews of trails. Things change...
    Last edited by mcscars; 08-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A buddy and I did that ride earlier this summer. The gpx track he found started us at some little golf course and climbed up to SBT. We camped near the golf course (I can't remember the name of the road) and rode out from there. When we got to Taos we road back to the camp site. It was a long tough day but we had a blast. I'm sure others have some better ideas on how to do this ride.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    With one car, and never having seen the trail before (thus with ample opportunity for wrong turns and time lost navigating), I'd save the loop plans for another day and just ride it as an out&back, camping up at Garcia Park and heading east to start your ride. Perhaps also suss out the first mile of trail heading west from GP, too, so that next time you'll know right where it is when you do the whole thing.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    You could try hitch hiking up to the covered wagon. I did that once. But unless you are with someone who's ridden here before, be careful. I've ridden it twice now and still think I'd get lost if I tried it on my own!

mtbr member

SBT conditions

Taos locals (Greg?),

I assume SBT is still GTG? We had some snow in SF, but only near 12,000'. Thinking of doing it Saturday.

C.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

Members who have read this thread: 0