Hopewell Gold Trail- Mtbr.com
    Not here to cause trouble

Hopewell Gold Trail

Hi! I'm going to be heading south from Denver and would like to ride the Hopewell Gold trail. I searched the forum and all I could find was an old trailwork thread. It's a suggested ride on MTBProject but I also wanted to see if any locals had suggestions before I head out. I'll probably be camping as well - any places to seek out or avoid? Thanks!

Perpetually Intermediate
    I've never ridden that section of trail so no comment, but I love the Brazos Mountains and have ridden north of/from Hopewell many times. The trail from Hopewell Lake should be marked these days since it's part of the CDT. Expect meadows, aspen, Ponderosa pine forest and probably few if any people.

You can car camp all over the Brazos Mountains...there is a campground at Hopewell Lake, but if you're set up with water and such then pretty much any dirt road off of Highway 64 will lead you to a hundred car camping spots. Compared to other such places in New Mexico, this area is pretty chill and safe.

Here's a link to a Taos News article about the trail that might help you find it at least: Hopewell Lake provides historic setting for late fall hiking in Taos | The Taos News

Also, since you're in the neighborhood, know that Taos (about 35 miles east of Hopewell Lake) has lots of great trails as well as epic food and other fun stuff. Have fun!

Not here to cause trouble
    Thanks!! I will probably head to Taos as well.
    Just a question - you mentioned that this area is safe compared to other areas - could you elaborate? I wasn't worried at all until you implied I didn't have to be.

Perpetually Intermediate
    Didn't mean to make you nervous! NM is generally fine for safe trailheads and camping except near population centers, where you might get your window busted out or your bike stolen. Wherever you go, be sure your bike is secure if you park your car and leave it, and lock your visible valuables away in the trunk. Albuquerque folks could tell you all about this I'm sure...but for a trip to the Brazos and even Taos you are all good.