Hola...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hola...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Hola...

Hola fellow new mexicans, lifetime resident here, just bought my first mountain bike (2011 Trek 3900 Disc).

Thought I might pop in say hello and see where in the heck I should go to check out my first trail. I do not want to do anything crazy but would like to get back in the wilderness a little bit and get some excercise!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are you from Hawaii, "hola" ? Were do you live so you can get advice in your area or are you ready to cover the entire state of NM. Have fun, enjoy your new ride, and there is plenty to play in SF and near by areas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    well..hola means hello in spanish, aloha is hawaii...

well I am from Albuquerque, but with such a beautiful backyard as New Mexico why would I want to limit myself

Are the otero trails appropriate for a novice rider such as myself?

-CRAZY-
    Start with the south foothills above Copper first.
    'I am on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen'
    Charlie Sheen

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicrage
    Thought I might pop in say hello and see where in the heck I should go to check out my first trail. I do not want to do anything crazy but would like to get back in the wilderness a little bit and get some excercise!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking. For a first ride I'd stick to the foot hills, north or south it really does not matter. See how you feel on the bike over various terrain and get an idea of what sorts of distances you could ride with out over extending yourself. Then if you want to try Otero give it a go. Only this with Otero is that you can get lost fairly easy if you take a wrong turn or two. It is fairly easy finding your way back down, but might take longer than anticipated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking. For a first ride I'd stick to the foot hills, north or south it really does not matter. See how you feel on the bike over various terrain and get an idea of what sorts of distances you could ride with out over extending yourself. Then if you want to try Otero give it a go. Only this with Otero is that you can get lost fairly easy if you take a wrong turn or two. It is fairly easy finding your way back down, but might take longer than anticipated.

Yep

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Guano
    Start with the south foothills above Copper first.
    Hola Chron! I would suggest that before you venture into the South Foothills you try the North first. The South Foothills have more in the way of technical climbing where the North tends to be a wee (that's Scottish for small) bit gentler.

I would go to what we call the "Top of Spain" trailhead (AKA Michael Emery) and take the 365 to the 366. It traverses the foothills and would be a good place to get your wheels rolling.

This map should help;

http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/pdf/foothillsmap.pdf
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

High Alpine Adventure
    ...but would like to get back in the wilderness a little bit and get some excercise!
    Oh and Chron, I know what you are trying to say but just to be clear, please don't poach the Wilderness Boundary! It is considered REALLY BAD FORM and does a lot of damage to the reputation of your fellow Mt. Bikers.

Remember our motto at www.foomtb.org "Be part of the Solution and not part of the Problem!"

Thanks from the Do-gooder!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 03-30-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Congrats on the new bike. Go to the top of spain for your first few rides then hit up otero and just ride the main trail that goes up the canton.
    The south foot hills are a lot of fun but steeper hills to climb and u might not want to start out with the steepest of the foot hills.
    have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So do you new mexico mtn bikers get together ever to ride? Would be pretty cool to meet up with some folks and get some tips in person and meet some folks.

Genius
    UH OH!! Blue Pill, Red Pill question. Choose wisely.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    So do you new mexico mtn bikers get together ever to ride? Would be pretty cool to meet up with some folks and get some tips in person and meet some folks.
    I'd suggest starting out with the wilderness/mud police, above (as soon as I saw the word, wilderness, in your post, I knew the do-gooder would step in). It shouldn't take too long to progress above that level of riding. Soon, you will tire of hearing about the way things are suppposed to be and what's wrong with everone else in the NM MTB scene. You will desire more from your riding.

Then, when you have conquered the basics, and are ready for some more expressive, fun riding and less negative energy, get in touch with any of the Bandoleros or Supra or Anticiole. These guys are all networked with some of the most fun people in the NM MTB scene. Your penance paid in the beginning will be worth the progression made, and you'll soon be riding with a fun, positive crew and experiencing a riding style that inspires you to express yourself through your riding.

All ribbing aside, there are some great folks here in NM.
    Notaknob will be leading FOO club rides in the Abq. area, so PM him for good times and fun people.

Bandolero
    Pfft. I offered to take someone new out on the trails in ABQ last year and it worked out wonderfully for me. And I've got lots more free time to ride too! That said I actually look at someone's profile before I make an offer. Then I say fark it "Shanna, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash. "

I'm having to re-learn what a beginner trail ride is and am also always recruiting for FooMTB and the Bandoleros. It's my new thing. Too bad this didn't come out yesterday as I did a NFHs loop with NateMTB.

Chronicrage, Monday might be good if you're interested. I prefer Otero as it's got more interesting features but North/South Foothills are okay too.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9
    UH OH!! Blue Pill, Red Pill question. Choose wisely.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    just got back from a 6 mile pavement run in town with my 6 year old..damn that kid has energy lol

what time were you thinking monday? that may be a good time

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    ....get in touch with any of the Bandoleros or Supra or Anticiole. These guys are all networked with some of the most fun people in the NM MTB scene.
    If you follow this advice Chron you'll have passed to the dark side and Lord Vader will certainly be waiting. If you like building illegal trails and features or sitting around "sessioning" while drinking beer and smoking pot, you'll fit right in.

I'd say develop your skills and hook up with the "Dave Flynn Tuesday/Thursday Gang". They welcome everyone from raw beginners on up and it is a "no drop" ride. They ride year round so you can learn to ride "under the lights" as well.

These rides will slowly challenge you because you will be riding with some really stout riders. There are a number of solid SS'ers who join the rides and you'll soon find your position in the pecking order. Our motto is "Fast Guys to the Front" so you can continue to work on seeing if you have what it takes to get on up there.

Other than that, I'd just say pick your friends well!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    If you follow this advice Chron you'll have passed to the dark side and Lord Vader will certainly be waiting. If you like building illegal trails and features or sitting around "sessioning" while drinking beer and smoking pot, you'll fit right in.
    Ahem. The beer part's right. The rest, not so.

Bandolero

Bullets With Butterfly Wings

I'm off work at 3:30 so 4 p.m. is pretty much my starting time. Like DaGoat said, try the North Foothills first.

And even though DaGoat sometimes bashes the Bandoleros, I'm one of the "originals" and there's a lot of people that enjoy our company and some of our antics. His suggestion of the Tues/Thurs rides intrigued me so I'm switching out one of my Bando Group Therapy rides to see what the DF Gang are like tomorrow. Yes, I'm bringing a beer and a flask. Remember, all generalities suck.

I hear one of the Bandos even got elected to be president of a local trail building club. He's nuts though so that's probably why Foo likes him.

just got back from a 6 mile pavement run in town with my 6 year old..damn that kid has energy lol

what time were you thinking monday? that may be a good time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Always do!
    right, guess it's story time on MTBR
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    LOL warring mountain bike gangs..

is black a safe neutral color to wear? I don't want to be blood or crip or get shot for looking like one or the other.

What's with the hositiliy, I am assuming there is a story behind it and I'd like to hear it

mtbr member
    LOL Chron!!!
    You are going to fit in great, you get it.
    No war but the high country(not-the-real-wilderness) is drying out quickly and closures are around the corner so the "bloods and crips" could all be bunched together in the foothills/Red-White Mesa etc for a while.

I sure hope you don't have a bottom locker.

mtbr member
    PM sent...

If you don't get to ride with us, hook up/PM notaknob or Calhoun to ride. They will do you right contrary what someone is posting here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    LOL gotta love new mexico...can't wait to see ya'll on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Chron. if you get tired of all the turf wars in Albq. head up north, SF and LA have many great trails and many awesome mtbr's who ride and know how to get along and have a great time too.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcrzy
    Hey Chron. if you get tired of all the turf wars in Albq. head up north, SF and LA have many great trails and many awesome mtbr's who ride and know how to get along and have a great time too.
    And no, he's not from Hawaii!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    I'm off work at 3:30 so 4 p.m. is pretty much my starting time. Like DaGoat said, try the North Foothills first.

I hear one of the Bandos even got elected to be president of a local trail building club. He's nuts though so that's probably why Foo likes him.

I'd take knob up on his offer he knows quite a few trails out there.

With the change in leadership I'm sure we will see some of the results out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    was not expecting my hello thread to turn into this..wow!

thanks for those that have PM'd me and the offers to ride, hopefully we can hook up..I leave this thread as its obviously taken a turn for the worse..before i go:

Genius
    was not expecting my hello thread to turn into this..wow!

thanks for those that have PM'd me and the offers to ride, hopefully we can hook up..I leave this thread as its obviously taken a turn for the worse..before i go:

HAHAHA!!! Yeah. They do this to every thread.

Someday they will need to settle this.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

not so super...
    What needed sanitized was this thread. You bando's and non-bando's need to kiss and make up.

mtbr member

Smile

I second the recommendation of riding with the tues/thurs group. It's a great group of riders with a very welcoming attitude. Hope you enjoy the trails here.
    As for the rest of it......you guys really should ride more, and b*tch less. just sayin.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    What needed sanitized was this thread. You bando's and non-bando's need to kiss and make up.
    This sucks.

Why did you delete my comic con pic? It was the powderd sugar on the turd donut that this thread turned into.

re-posted for posterity.. as in :
    I was google image searching for an appropriate image meme reply to this flame fueled thread using "aw, not his crap again" and this popped up.

Points if you see Jabba or the muppet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    jaba is getting stroked by the she-male looking blonde and the the muppet is being fondled by his boyfriend

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My post got deleted and I just welcomed the guy. Holy over zealous moderator.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

Bandolero

Jesus of Suburbia

Bringing beer tomorrow. Trying to think of a way to make a double-bacon green chili cheeseburger at the top of Kachina. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    My post got deleted and I just welcomed the guy. Holy over zealous moderator.
    Actually, you said we were all stupid... Somehow all of Doug's statements accusing people of using drugs is still here. He must be fondling Jaba the Hut, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Actually, you said we were all stupid... Somehow all of Doug's statements accusing people of using drugs is still here. He must be fondling Jaba the Hut, too.
    I think I went with A$$hats. And I meant it but in a nice way. The jist of my post was a welcome.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Bringing beer tomorrow. Trying to think of a way to make a double-bacon green chili cheeseburger at the top of Kachina. Suggestions?
    If tomorrow's anything like today all you'll need is a couple of mirrored sunglasses . Kachina did look nice today but we didn't have the patience to hike it. I think TJ said he made it up there. Everything softened up nice by mid-morning and although the snow is getting really thin, I didn't hit any rocks or dirt because I could see everything coming.

Warning: the wind was really picking up this afternoon in TSV and tomorrow's supposed to be much worse. Don't get blown off the ridge .
    Last edited by nealpederson; 04-02-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0