High Desert Trail System - trail markers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

High Desert Trail System - trail markers

I recently rode the 3rd and 2nd Mesa loop at the High Desert Trail System near Gallup. Who built all the trail markers? Those things are amazing. There must be a story there.

Here's an example. There are a bunch of them. Must have taken a lot of work.

High Desert Trail System - trail markers-screen-shot-2017-04-29-5.49.16-pm.jpg

saddlemeat
    Those markers were built by our local Youth Conservation Corps trail crews. Back in the day, there were some self-styled conservationists who thought they ruined the experience, so they would tear them down. YCC kept building them bigger, the smoogies eventually moved on, we were left with these massive carns/rock storage piles. The crews do some great stone work projects, as you may have noticed.

Caught some of your video, did you get a chance to visit the Zuni Mountains trails also?
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's interesting. I have to think there are hundreds of man-hours put into those markers. Definitely adds to the experience, in my opinion.
    I did not ride the Zuni Mountain trails. They look great, though. How would you rank them next to the High Desert trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

saddlemeat
    If you like the HDT, you will go to heaven on the mountain. Built by the same folks, but 10x in all ways!

mtbr member
    We've done the Quaking Aspen Classic or regular Aspen Trail (or some variation of it) three times now over the years. Thoroughly enjoyed it each time. There is now a very nice trail head for this area, with bathroom and kiosk just a few minutes ride from the Quaking Aspen campground. Trails are signed. It is mellow single track for the most part, with a few challenges here and there.
    Also did the Milk Ranch Loop the first time we were there; it was not well signed but that's been quite some time ago.

I recall seeing a thread about someone working on putting some Zuni Mtn trails together, but further east, more towards Bluewater State Park. Did anything come of that?

Still have a battered copy of Gallup Waypoints! Wish it was still in print. Do most of these trails now have GPS files available somewhere?
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

saddlemeat

mtbr member
    Thanks for that excellent link, bsieb.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Plan to be in Gallup nights of 20 and 21 June to do a bit of riding. One or 2 dirt rides and a road ride possibly. Staying at SpringHill.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Plan to be in Gallup nights of 20 and 21 June to do a bit of riding. One or 2 dirt rides and a road ride possibly. Staying at SpringHill.
    Make sure you check out the Zuni Mts. trails as well as the High Desert Trails.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Make sure you check out the Zuni Mts. trails as well as the High Desert Trails.
    I rode from the TH nearest Springhill suites---initial leg, connector and all the mesas except the last one--which I understand is more techie. The following day I did get to Zuni and started at weird named campground--road terrible Qualing Aspens to pond where I got on waaay better and more fin Smokin Handlebar, and then rode Berma (something liek that?) fuuuun down hill back down to parking area. Loved the area. Gallup is a great little place.