Glorieta final variance meeting today at 4, show up!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Glorieta final variance meeting today at 4, show up!

Pasted from a SFFTS email from a couple weeks ago. Too late to write support letters, but showing up today at the meeting is important!

Attention Mountain Bikers,

Glorieta Camps Zoning Variance Requests!

Glorieta Camps has applied for zoning variances for the zip line, related roads, lake/water park features and trails they built without proper SF County Land Use permits. County staff is recommending all variances be denied and everything be removed/remediated, including Jagged Axe, Holy Mole, Chili Dog, and the road to the top of Holy Mole and Chili Dog. The SFFTS Board voted to support GC's zoning requests and received the attached template letters of support from GC's planning consultant. It will be very helpful if you'll print, sign and mail one of them to the County Planning Commissioners at the address in the letters. Letter 1 supports GC's secular benefits to the community, and letter 2 also supports their christian mission. If you decide to write your own letter see the guidelines from Hillary Welles in the e-mail below.

We need to bombard the Planning Commission with letters of support for Glorieta Camps so please send your letters ASAP as we do not want to lose Glorieta as a ride venue.

Also try to attend the Planning Commission Meeting on Feb 15 at 4:00 PM at the county courthouse on Grant Street to show your support.

Thanks for your support,

SFFTS Board
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

but i want to ride now
    Sitrep?
    I was unable to make it to the meeting, unfortunately.
    I imagine they'll pass down a decision in a few weeks?
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Some of us (chappy and I, ....) were there until 10! Lots of comments from both sides, most of the neighbors (all over 60) opposed had unrelated issues regarding water, etc. Thankfully they approved most the variances but with conditions (like only using the road for zipline maintenance, inspection and emergency response). The trails need to be reviewed as well for drainage etc, so super unclear how this all will play out but it is much better than could have been. I expect they might want to appeal some of the conditional approvals and we won't know how it all ends up for months. Given that things need to go through county approval etc., I would not be surprised if the BME race is cancelled.

Glorieta should also expect significant (6 figure) fines, but that is up to others at the county. The big issue is that they did a ton of work (millions of dollars) that required permits, as we all know, and they didn't apply for them and thus should be punished by the clear laws on the books. They claimed that they didn't know nor did any contractors tell them and they don't do it that way in the camps in Texas. "This is NM dammit!" was the strong response. Asking for forgiveness rather than permission really didn't sit well and their huge amount of illegal work shouldn't be seen as permission for others to do the same. They support all the good GC does, so made what I feel was a good decision.

Not sure if the awesome gnarly trails will stay but at least it looks like some trails will. I was one of the main designers and builders of chili dog, so a tough one for me if it goes away, but GC really ****ed this up.

It pays to show up and support these issues and make your voice heard, our pitiful turnout at the presidential election shows what can happen when folks don't. Mike and I both spoke in support. Thanks to Mike (fastest shop owner in NM?) and Broken Spoke for being the only shop owner there tonight. When in SF, please shop there and grab a beer or coffee from a shop that really supports MTB via attending meetings, build trail, attending club meetings, etc.... and they carry rad brands :-). #engineeredtoparty
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

Fragilie
    All the business owners I know here in NM say it's the worst place to do business. Regardless of them not following the rules, the comment of "this is NM damn it" backs that up.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

but i want to ride now
    Thanks for the update,
    Sounds like typical zoning hearing stuff - I'd straight off myself if I was the hearing commissioner - retirees seem to only have one hobby..
    It really would be a shame if Chili Dog, Jagged Axe, and Hole Mole went away as they are the main draws for the riding community, and are really just so awesome. Any word on whether they'll be rideable in the interim?
    I wonder if the BME organizers are even aware of what is going down w/r/t the possibility of the trails being removed. I was looking forward to the race this year...
    I appreciate yourself and Chapman being there (couldn't get off work) and the good work that gets done up your way on the trails. Santa Fe riders seem to have their stuff together so much more than Abq riders on the whole unified front advocacy thing (I say this with full knowledge of how I don't really contribute).
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    As to the GC guys, I have had nothing but great interactions being a volunteer, crew leader, workshop participant and racer (CX and MTB). I'm very close with the organizers of CX, XC and Xterra events and they love working w them. I have spoken at length w the director, his wife, and then raced with their kids and they are great (the kids shred hard and one is a hardcore professional trail builder now).
    I'm not a contractor nor know any that have had jobs there.

Thanks aldous, Unclear whether anyone can ride the trails. I'll ask one of the sons, maybe they'll post up something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a friend who is one of the managers at GC (he is also in the camp leiason for the BME). I asked him on what exactly was going to be happening and said he would fill me in. I will let you all know what he said.

but i want to ride now
    Thanks Beastmaster!
    I'm glad I've held off registering...
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    I have a friend who is one of the managers at GC (he is also in the camp leiason for the BME). I asked him on what exactly was going to be happening and said he would fill me in. I will let you all know what he said.
    Any update from your buddy?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Any update from your buddy?
    We finally had a chance to talk.

First thing, it is amazing that Mike from Broken Spoke spent to much time at the County meeting. Good on him for supporting GC! The people at GC noticed and that will always be good for Broken Spoke because they will send all of the visiting riders to their shop.

Second, here is the stuff: The County is going to require all the steep-grad roads be widened, culverts added and bar ditches installed. These are the access roads to the zip lines and one of them goes up to the top of the ridge where most of the flow and technical trails drop. The County wants emergency service vehicles to be able to get to these locations. They will allow all the other improvements, some with minor adjustments and some with no changes whatsoever.

The BME is on without interruption or problems. All other scheduled races are still on the books. Other new events are being planned. The executive director is an avid rider and would like to see more events at GC. There is talk of creating two or three all-new events, some of which could be multi-day bike festivals with food, beer, and lodging available (sort of like Bike-n-Brews). It has the potential to become a major biking center. Events like these take time to develop so don't expect them this summer.

mtbr member
    Awesome.

Thanks for the update
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yesterday I rode with my friend who is managing the GC bike events. Of course we rode in GC. Man, that place is super fun! Its kind of like a ski resort or an amusement park, so many rides! Woohoo!

He also said some other interesting things. Right now SF County doesn't want people riding Holy Mole. My friend told me every trail built at GC is on their own private land. (Its only when you get to Ghost Town and up to Baldy that you are on NFS property) The objection SFC has with that particular trail is that was built with a "machine," which would have required a permit. (Crazy, right?) OK, I understand that when you are building a septic system on your private land you are containing hazardous materials, and as such, the public needs to be protected from potential contamination. But, if you are making a garden and rototill your land you wouldn't need a permit. So, a trail in the woods requires a permit to use mechanized tools, but if you had done it with a shovel, no problem? That is what SFC's position is! (Amazing, right?).

Good news is that GC is not going to "police" that trail to make sure no one is riding it.

mtbr member
    Looking for info on these trails; mainly, has the check-in procedure or anything changed? I ask because I was told by a guy on a Texas board who is apparently involved that, starting this year, the trails are open Year around... in his words:

"No longer restricted access. New parking area. It was all for liability with the summer camp going on but now it's good year round."

I'll be in the area in late June and would love to hit these trails. MTBProject.com hasn't been updated to reflect this, so not really sure where to go, etc...
    'T'is only a flesh wound...
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Yes, it's all still being hashed out, but the local MTB club built an access trail from the highway to get you to the good stuff, like Jagged Axe, etc year round without needing to check in.

mtbr member
    Is Glorieta closed to public mtbers during June?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Is Glorieta closed to public mtbers during June?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    GC shouldn't be closed in June, but with the impending Santa Fe National Forest stage 3 restrictions (partial to full closure) that could well happen in May, it remains to be seen how GC would handle their trail management. GC owns the property that their trails are on, but it is an open question as to whether they would allow the general public to ride there during a SFNF closure. Pray for rain!